Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: How to EMPTY cache in Odyssey  (Read 450 times)

Description:

Offline amigasocietyTopic starter

How to EMPTY cache in Odyssey
« on: March 26, 2017, 06:54:32 PM »
For the life of me I can't find an Empty Cache in any menu.

Can't seem to find a file named cache in Odyssey directory either to just chuck.

Anyone know how to empty cache in Odyssey 1.23?

Thanks

TJ
AmigaOne A1222 (Tabor)
AmigaOne X5000

Re: How to EMPTY cache in Odyssey
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2017, 08:27:43 PM »
Guess I will take the no answer as there is not a way to empty cache for Odyssey.

:hammer:

TJ
AmigaOne A1222 (Tabor)
AmigaOne X5000

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2017, 03:02:45 AM »
And maybe I should clarify.... I want to empty, remove, throw away.... history of sites visited and local data regarding them, if Odyssey leaves any behind after quitting the app.

Maybe it does not and all sites visited and data associated with them is lost once the app is turned off?

TJ
AmigaOne A1222 (Tabor)
AmigaOne X5000

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2017, 03:12:55 AM »
I do show a history file in the conf directory (thanks sundown).  Along with cookies there too.  I suppose trashing those and restart browser will do it.  Just had thought maybe there was a hiding empty cache or empty browser history and data button is all.  Guess not.   TJ
AmigaOne A1222 (Tabor)
AmigaOne X5000

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2017, 04:03:42 AM »
LOL.  You would think that would be a standard feature of a browser?  :angry:
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline klx300r

• Amiga 1000+AmigaOne X1000
    • Show only replies by klx300r
    • http://mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2017, 04:34:38 AM »
Quote from: amigasociety;823932
And maybe I should clarify.... I want to empty, remove, throw away.... history of sites visited and local data regarding them, if Odyssey leaves any behind after quitting the app.

Maybe it does not and all sites visited and data associated with them is lost once the app is turned off?

TJ

CookieMaster works great with Odyssey to remove all cookies.  You can try it as a demo or purchase it here http://www.m4rko.com/amiga/software/cookiemaster/
--- www.mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca ---
  -AspireOS.com & Amikit- Amiga for your netbook-
***X1000- I BELIEVE *** :angel:

Offline pVC

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2017, 07:49:30 AM »
Odyssey doesn't have a disk based cache at all, so you can't empty what's not there :) It just caches the pages to memory.

History and cookies are other things and not related to the page cache itself, so your question is set a bit wrongly. Cookies can be deleted with Odyssey's cookie manager ("Windows->Cookies..." menu entry) or by deleting the database file (conf/cookies.db).

Other things Odyssey can save to different database files (if you have configured it to save them):
conf/History.db - Browsing history information
conf/Passwords.db - Saved passwords, can be managed from "Windows->Passwords..." too
conf/TopSites.db - Statistics from the pages you've visited, writes a lot there
conf/WebpageIcons.db - Small icons you see on tabs or quicklinks etc

There's also HTML5 related LocalStorage directory where pages can save certain amount of their own data.

You can freely delete any of these files to clean things up. I myself don't like to collect anything to these permanently when browsing, so I've disabled saving of cookies, history, passwords, topsites, and website icons. I have LocalStorage enabled for the compatibility, but I've made a softlink for its directory to point to ENV:, so it gets cleared at every reboot. When you keep things clean, browser doesn't slow down during the years by the amount of collected data, and no need to worry about privacy that much :)
Daily MorphOS user and Amiga active.

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2017, 04:28:43 PM »
Quote from: pVC;823942

History and cookies are other things and not related to the page cache itself, so your question is set a bit wrongly.

Yup, I have always just lumped trashing of any of this kind of data (history or data from the historic site visited) as cache figuring it is all data in some way that stores locally to help bring up past experiences.  

Maybe not the best terminology.  Sorry for any confusion on my question.

TJ
AmigaOne A1222 (Tabor)
AmigaOne X5000