Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Two new µ-A1's models on the way  (Read 7194 times)

Description:

Offline B00tDisk

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by B00tDisk
    • http://www.thedelversdungeon.com
Re: Two new µ-A1's models on the way
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2004, 11:33:08 PM »
One forward two back?  You've got that right.  I've got an ASUS ATI9200 card here that cost me a whopping $40USD.  You can't convince me a whole generation and a half worth of chipset would have raised the price that much further.  Sheesh.  What ever happened to the Amiga being cutting edge?  (Wait - that went away about 1987 or so.)
Back away from the EU-SSR!

Offline Rogue

• Show only replies by Rogue
    • http://www.hyperion-entertainment.com
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2004, 11:45:11 PM »
G3?

Unless you factor in the Altivec unit, which of course is a factor for some number of applications, the 750FX and 750GX are substantially faster than the G4. The GX has 1 MB of L2 cache, that will make quite a difference for some applications (especially emulators)
Look out, I\'ve got a gun

Offline Rogue

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2004, 11:47:31 PM »
Thats another $110 isnt it?

Retailers and dealers pay 75 Euros to Hyperion for OS 4. The end user price depends on what they themselves want to earn from it.

Offline KennyR

• Show only replies by KennyR
    • http://wrongpla.net
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2004, 12:52:27 AM »
Unless you factor in the Altivec unit, which of course is a factor for some number of applications, the 750FX and 750GX are substantially faster than the G4.

If the code is special in that its perfect for a G3 and bad for a G4, and if the moonphase is at just the right level...

For the record, I love the G3. It's fast, and it runs cool, and I'm in no hurry to upgrade. But in no way would I consider it ever to reach the performance of a G4.

Offline Lando

• Show only replies by Lando
    • https://bartechtv.com
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2004, 12:56:25 AM »
If Hyperion only gets 75EUR, who keeps the other 25EUR?

Offline KennyR

• Show only replies by KennyR
    • http://wrongpla.net
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2004, 12:59:23 AM »
restore2003 wrote:
Eyetech should be taking a step forward, not 2 steps back Radeon 7000? G3? Your not getting much for the money here. What is going on?

They're releasing a competetively priced board. That's something they should have done years ago, and there would be twice the A1 users.

Offline Doobrey

• Show only replies by Doobrey
    • http://www.doobreynet.co.uk
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2004, 01:17:15 AM »
is it just me or does the Industrial version seem superior for just a minor amount more (50UKP)?

Almost.. £50 difference before tax.
The specs for the industrial version are definately better, free memory socket, passive cooling, better expansion capability etc etc..
Only downside is not being able to upgrade the CPU, but then again maybe many people won`t need to.
(says the bloke with an AMD K6-450 PC  :lol: !!)

Prices didn`t seem too bad, but then I saw that was before adding tax..and I like my kidneys where they are, oh well maybe Santa will bring one.

But hats off to Eyetech all the same, looks like they`ve done some great work on these.
On schedule, and suing

Offline Argo

• Show only replies by Argo
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2004, 02:26:23 AM »
My take on it from what I've gathered from what's been said in interviews and at shows, is it is aimed at kiosk uses and similar where a small sized low heat low maintenence computer is needed. Like all of the PC itx boards I've seen, these are not made to be computing power houses.
Personally, I'm looking forward to the CX.

Offline redfox

• Show only replies by redfox
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2004, 03:46:33 AM »
:-D ... good news Eyetech.

Thanks,
redfox

Offline adolescent

• Show only replies by adolescent
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2004, 06:02:21 AM »
@Ikir

Anyone that spends $600 + $110 on a micro A1 + OS4 because it's "small and cool mini-itx" is crazy.  Perhaps as crazy as Eyetech?  

Sorry, I was anxiously waiting the micro but after seeing the cost it's never going to take off.

@Kenny

Competitively priced?  Compared to what?  Eyetech are pushing their OS4 monopoly to stick it to the very people that support them.  Non-Amigans would never buy the platform because they don't care about OS4, and there are much better platforms available.
Time to move on.  Bye Amiga.org.  :(

Offline Waccoon

• Show only replies by Waccoon
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2004, 06:30:27 AM »
µ-A1-I (for industrial).

I don't see the logic, here.  Most PPC solutions are built-to-order for high volume, and if you're low-volume, you'll want to use less efficient off-the-shelf components to increase your flexibility.  If IBM was making these boards, I could understand, but nobody is going to buy them from Eyetech unless they have no business sense whatsoever.  This isn't a knock on PPC, but let's face it, nobody is going to buy 50 PPC boards at $600 each for a kiosk when they can get a prebuilt system from IBM will a full replacement service
guarentee.  Most kiosk machines I've seen use Celeron-powered IBM desktops because they need the corporate support, not efficient hardware.

These mobos make sense for PPC developers who want a full desktop to write software for their embedded devices, but then they'd just get the "commercial' version.  Who is going to buy one of these "industrial" models?

Competitively priced? Compared to what?

I don't think price has anything to do with it.  Supply alone is a reason to be wary.  If Eyetech wants to sell AmigaOne boards, that's great, but if they're trying to diversify their product line to extend outside the Amiga community, I doubt they'll find any real business, which is quite ironic.

1 PCI slot...

I still don't understand why people WANT motherboards with only one expansion slot.  They must really like cheezy graphics and CPU-hungry on-board components.  I'd like to know how much CPU time the hard drive controller and audio system use on the AmigaOne boards.

Yes, you can build a pizza box, but you still can't make a laptop.  Besides, with the rise of flat-panel displays, I'm surprised more companies don't make sideways computers that mount behind the monitor.  You can still get a machine with PCI slots if you do that.

CPU Cooler - £10.00

Why does everyone insist on using tiny HSFs for the CPU?  I thought the PPC was supposed to be so cool.  A plain, passive heatsink for $2 should do fine for such a chip.

One A1 reseller equiped their boards with Thermaltake Orb coolers.  Despite their small size, they make a LOT of noise -- I know because I used them for a while.  I don't recommend them at all.

...and it is cpu fan failure which is one of the major causes of unreliability in computer systems.

I've never had a CPU fan die on me.  I've seen other peoples' computers with dead fans, but that's because they're clogged with dust and were kept on the floor.  My uncle's computer suffered from the fan detaching from the heatsink completely because the fan screws were too tight and the plastic broke.  Meanwhile, AmigaOne resellers are attaching their overkill copper fans with thermal tape.  Just try an tell me the fan won't fall off in a year.

The biggest killers are dust, the lack of air filters, add the complete lack of experience with building and attaching themal solutions.  I've been building computers for years and I could make a great passive cooler for Eyetech.  I don't like what I'm seeing from the Amiga dealers at all.

Offline Lando

• Show only replies by Lando
    • https://bartechtv.com
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2004, 07:31:06 AM »
Besides, with the rise of flat-panel displays, I'm surprised more companies don't make sideways computers that mount behind the monitor.

Apparently this is just what Apple has done with the new G5 iMac, and the optical drive slots are at the side (like those Philips LCD TV's with built-in DVD player).

It just seems like this is another wasted opportunity for the Amiga.  Falling farther and farther behind every month.  Can't compete on price, can't compete on applications, cant compete on OS features, can't compete on technical specs.  What else is left?

Offline Gelb

• Show only replies by Gelb
    • http://amigazeux.net
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2004, 09:47:55 AM »

They're releasing a competetively priced board. That's something they should have done years ago, and there would be twice the A1 users.

Lets see how competitively priced it really is. Values are taken from the Eyetech site.

Motherboard/GFX Chip/KMOS 'Name' licence is £130.00 or 194 EUR

CPU module 750Fx@800MHz is £170.00 or 253 EUR

256MB SODIMM is £39.00 or 58 EUR

CPU Cooler is £10.00 or 14 EUR

OS4 is £67 or 100 EUR

16% VAT = £66 or 99 EUR

That's in total £416 or 619 EUR without VAT and £482 or 718 EUR including VAT.

Really, this is not something I would consider competitively priced in G3-Radeon7000-256MB computer business.

..Next.

Offline mikeymike

• Show only replies by mikeymike
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2004, 10:13:48 AM »
FireWire is useless on Amiga until there is FireWire stack too.

It is also useless if the user doesn't have any need for it.  Your point being (other than trolling)?

Offline Rogue

« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2004, 10:27:50 AM »
For the record, I love the G3. It's fast, and it runs cool, and I'm in no hurry to upgrade. But in no way would I consider it ever to reach the performance of a G4.

Anything else to back that up? From what I have observed, the 750FX is faster than the 7451 and 7455 when Altivec is not used. At the same clock frequency, mind you.

Offline Rogue

« Reply #29 from previous page: August 29, 2004, 10:28:39 AM »
If Hyperion only gets 75EUR, who keeps the other 25EUR?

Dealers. They want to earn something as well I guess.