Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Vampire 600: FPGA A600 Accelerator Preorder  (Read 8621 times)

Description:

Offline matthey

• Show all replies
Re: Vampire 600: FPGA A600 Accelerator Preorder
« on: August 13, 2013, 07:09:01 AM »
Quote from: NovaCoder;744529
Yep I also think FPGA solutions and Classic hardware could go very well together.

I think it's more likely that the old hardware will end up getting replaced altogether. What if this hardware existed for about 300 euros (~$400 AUD or U.S.)?

Cyclone 5 with 68k+@150MHz + 512k L2 cache
1 GB DDR3 memory
HDMI (includes sound)
2xPCIe
2xSATA
Gigabit Ethernet
USB2
1xCF
PS2 keyboard and mouse
2x9 pin joystick ports

Ok, your 68060 can compete with this but what if we can double the CPU speed for say 3x the cost and in about a year a 500MHz+ enhanced 68k CPU could be possible with the hardware specs above still at 3x the cost. It probably wouldn't fit in your 1200 but it should fit in a mini-tower of some kind. Would you be persuaded to give up your old 1200?

Quote from: NovaCoder;744529

What I'd really like to see is some FGPA projects that have an (open source) active developer community behind them to continually improve the performance.

An upgrade path and an active developer community are key to all the fpga projects. The more open projects will attract more developers.

Offline matthey

• Show all replies
Re: Vampire 600: FPGA A600 Accelerator Preorder
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 08:10:58 AM »
Quote from: NovaCoder;744545
Hiya,

This retro hobby is a funny old thing really.

I guess on one end of the spectrum you have a bog-standard machine and on the other you have WinUAE/X1000/AROS.  Everyone has their own idea of where they want to be on this scale.  

Personally, I get a good retro feeling from using the real thing with modern expansions.   I wouldn't get exactly the same feeling from a drop in replacement motherboard or a brand-new FPGA based computer in a new case.

I'm not sure what I'll do when my old A1200 finally kicks the bucket ;)

The UAE experience didn't do it for me either. Something about Windoze being in control doing stupid stuff in the background and pausing for a few seconds now and then kind of ruins the feeling. A real 68060 Amiga doesn't do that. I like the old stuff and it's pretty amazing how usable it is when upgraded even with a <100MHz processor and '90s technology. It will be interesting to see what the feel of an all fpga board is though. If done right, it should be like a regular Amiga on super steroids. If I can plug in the old joysticks and keyboard and play a little Deluxe Galaga or Pinball Dreams with no gliches then it might be quite alright ;).