Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Adult conversation about this whole EULA issue.  (Read 13027 times)

Description:

Offline Lando

• Show only replies by Lando
    • https://bartechtv.com
Re: Adult conversation about this whole EULA issue.
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2003, 06:40:39 PM »
There is a EULA on both 3.5 and 3.9 (in the license directory on the CD - it's an AmigaGuide file)

It says you are allowed to install and use the software on "one single Amiga-labelled or Amiga-licensed computer at a time", also that you must not distribute it across a network, use it in a nuclear power station, air traffic control situation, etc...

Anyone using AmigaOS 3.5 or 3.9 under emulation (eg. on a PC, Mac, or Pegasos), is breaking the EULA, UNLESS they are using it on an AmigaOne running linux (as this is an Amiga-licensed computer) or they are using the OS 3.9 that came with Amithlon / AmigaOS XL (as this version has a modified EULA to allow use on non-Amiga branded computers).

So, if you are running UAE, and want to keep Bill McEwen happy, you would be well advised to stick to WB3.1.

Or, you could just ignore him.

Personally I'll carry on using AmigaOS 3.9 on my Mac running MaxUAE, and maybe my Pegasos too when I get around to it.

I paid for the damn OS and I'm gonna use it.

Offline bhoggett

• Show only replies by bhoggett
    • http://www.midnightmu.com
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2003, 06:42:00 PM »
@red

OK I stand somewhat corrected. So how is it that OS3.9 has a 'Install Emulation' feature? Kind of backwards isn't it?

I dunno. My copy certainly has no such option, so I have no idea where that comes from.
Bill Hoggett

Offline Lando

« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2003, 06:47:08 PM »

lempkee wrote:
whats the story on...

i went and bought mac osX today , i dont have a mac but the people in the shop didnt ask me either.

will i break the eula if i did this?

Yes.

I bought a retail boxed copy of OS X Jaguar too (I also  have another copy that came with my iMac).  

The staff in the Apple Centre where I bought it didnt ask for proof that I owned a Mac, didn't even ask if I owned a Mac.  If they had asked, I would have told them that  I'm going to install and run it under Mac-On-Linux on my Pegasos.

Along with using Amiga OS3.9 on my Mac and Pegasos under UAE, this makes two EULA's I have broken.  Shame on me. :-D

Offline Lando

« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2003, 06:50:29 PM »
"This license allows you to install or operate the Amiga Software only on a computer system that had a version of Amiga OS installed on it at the time you acquired such computer system."

Ahh.. I didn't see that part.  This means it's also in breach of the EULA to use AmigaOS on the AmigaOne running UAE under Linux, unless you bought a pre-cofigured system from a dealer with everything already installed.

Offline seer

• Show only replies by seer
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2003, 06:52:03 PM »
OK I stand somewhat corrected. So how is it that OS3.9 has a 'Install Emulation' feature? Kind of backwards isn't it?

I dunno. My copy certainly has no such option, so I have no idea where that comes from.

Maybe a version provided with Cloanto's Amiga Forever ? Tho I don't recall them offering 3.1+
~
Everything you say will be misquoted and used against you.
~

Offline lempkee

• Show only replies by lempkee
    • http://www.amigaguru.com
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2003, 06:54:19 PM »
hmm something is very wrong here..

my os3.9 cd has a installer for uae function,and as i read here earlier its stated u are allowed to use os3.9 on a machine u actually had amigaos running on before...or something....ugh i am so confused.

help anyone!!

os3.9 is a addon to os3.1 we all know this, so basically all who have 3.1 could use 3.9 or?

and pegasos doesnt (or claim so) have os3.x , only reversed os code.

so if i am right then pegasos cant and aint allowed to use 3.9 , but then u have this uae thingy...  if it has an installer for it ON the damn cd, aint that like...heh i have no words...
as then its only for pegasos people to buy or take their stuff from the old amiga and put over and into uae..and set up 3.9..

help! anyone... this is really confusing
Whats up with all the hate!

Offline lempkee

« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2003, 06:57:44 PM »
just a quick dir list:

2.AmigaOS3.9:OS-Version3.9> list in#? all
Install-Tools                      Dir ----rwed 11-Sep-00 10:47:18
Installation-Emu.info             2796 ----rw-d 08-Feb-01 11:23:07
Installation.info                 2792 ----rw-d 08-Feb-01 11:23:07
Installer                          Dir ----rwed 11-Sep-00 10:47:23
Internet                           Dir ----rwed 08-Feb-01 13:36:19
2 files - 3 directories - 10 blocks used

this is an orginal cd ofcourse, this is how mine looks inside that dir.

hope it helps

Offline bhoggett

« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2003, 07:04:06 PM »
@seer

Maybe a version provided with Cloanto's Amiga Forever ? Tho I don't recall them offering 3.1+

AmigaForever does have 3.1, but not 3.5 or 3.9. Older versions only go to 3.0.

It is possible that there is more than one edition of 3.9, with minor undocumented changes, including this one. It's also possible that there is such a function on my copy too, but I'm certain I've never seen it.
Bill Hoggett

Offline lempkee

« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2003, 07:08:05 PM »
i am skimming my os3.9 cd..., and now i noticed the registration process again..

i never got a reg card when i bought my os3.9 cds, infact i never checked the html doc before now even ... and heh its 2+ years since i bought os3.9...geez.

so either my shop did it or i have some weird version or simply didnt get a regcard (with user number) ... the cd's (both versions of 3.9) is in a jewel case with a paper manual in color , no box like os3.5 ..

the inlet manual is 7+7 pages (english + german).

do i have an cd unlike yours ? , since allready several here stated their 3.9 doesnt have EMU install ...

sorry for doing it in this thread but its somewhat relevant to the topic discussion....

Offline WalkernyRanger

• Show only replies by WalkernyRanger
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2003, 07:08:33 PM »
Also we should all remember is that Amiga Inc.  isn't going to track down users who are using their OS on unapproved hardware, without proper liscensing.  This warning was meant for any company who intends to have Amiga OS run on their hardware.  Then Amiga would be able to sue them to stop and pay restitution.  Amiga is only trying to prevent the use of their IP as a selling point for competing hardware.  This is not out of the ordinary and is not an attack on the community.

Offline Warface

• Show only replies by Warface
    • http://www.spacehawks.hu
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2003, 07:09:53 PM »
I should also like to remind the community, and those users of the Amiga Operating System, that the End User License Agreement clearly states that the license for use is only valid, on Amiga branded machines. Therefore if the Amiga operating system is being used on a non-Amiga branded machine the use would be prohibited.

I'm not in breach of such EULA and I don't intend to do that, but it's plain
ridiculous, so... Please sue me. It's just a pointless threat.

IMHO it's part of their campaign where they'd like to associate the word "illegal" with Pegasos/MorphOS.

Offline bhoggett

« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2003, 07:10:13 PM »
@lempkee

The EULA is a mess.

It does say you can use OS 3.9 on an Amiga-licensed machine, or one that came with AmigaOS installed at the time of purchase.

So, if you buy a PC with UAE and AmigaOS 3.1 pre-installed (Amiga Forever), then you'd be entitled to run OS 3.9 according to the EULA, except for it not being Amiga-labelled or Amiga-licensed.

I suspect that wheoever put that EULA together was a donkey, both in the business and the legal sense.
Bill Hoggett

Offline lempkee

« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2003, 07:15:03 PM »
bhogget: thanx , i had a feeling of the same but i had to know for sure...
so basically where and what are we atm with EULA.

also, can you please check your os3.9 cd again , and tell me if its boxed or in jewel case etc,and compare date stamps from my dir list...ie maybe mine was an later version or something ..but it need'd bb1 when that came , ie its not that late of an version if so is the case.
(infact i only bought it 3-4 months after it came in the shops)

cheers

Offline Ni72ous

• Show only replies by Ni72ous
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2003, 07:25:01 PM »
I'm affraid this is factually inacurate. < = OS3.1 has no EULA whatsoever.

When i purchased my first A1200 years ago my Amiga OS 3.0 disks came in plastic sealable bag  with a sticker sealing it closed on the sticker was some terms and conditions i had to sccept before installing it, i believe i may still have the bag with the discs including the broken seal somewhere.
Ni72ous

Offline Ni72ous

• Show only replies by Ni72ous
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2003, 07:32:48 PM »
Ni72ous

Offline redrumloaTopic starter

• Original Omega User
    • Show only replies by redrumloa
« Reply #29 from previous page: August 21, 2003, 07:43:03 PM »
No actually it wasz bought way before that, an original version AFAIK. When I get home I will make a screenshot.
Someone has to state the obvious and that someone is me!