Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Will OS4 have SMP after all  (Read 32440 times)

Description:

Offline LoadWB

• Show all replies
Re: Will OS4 have SMP after all
« on: July 23, 2013, 07:50:12 PM »
It's interesting to see written here that the AmigaOS design is not SMP-friendly when I remember several articles written way-back-when which noted that AmigaOS was multi-processor ready.  I remember one of the articles was in the context of placement against MacOS.

Was the design and capabilities of AmigaOS over-stated back in the day?

Offline LoadWB

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2013, 07:00:32 AM »
Quote from: ElPolloDiabl;742332
Is it possible to have one version single core, and then slowly migrate the software to multi-core? You could dual boot either version.

Otherwise there is sandbox mode like a Java Virtual Machine.

Would it be possible to invoke each 68k/PPC AmigaOS program in its own environment, a sort-of emulated AmigaOS instance in the vein of a VM?  Instead of each instance being isolated to its own virtual environment, having the virtual AmigaOS instead be "patched" with wrappers which would allow the AmigaOS VM to communicate with the host OS and other AOS VMs?

In this manner, the host OS could be designed as SMP with memory protection, while still offering backward compatibility to existing AOS software.  At least in my mind.  I'm curious to know how Apple had OSX run MacOS 9 software natively.

Offline LoadWB

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2013, 07:12:22 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;742450
There's nothing to stop an opensource OS that is yet to be written from running on the BPPC and farming out 68k processes to the onboard 060 though. ;)

Nay-sayers.