Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Scala MM400 strange screenmode problem  (Read 1278 times)

Description:

Offline trilobyteTopic starter

• Show only replies by trilobyte
    • http://aaack.org
Scala MM400 strange screenmode problem
« on: November 16, 2009, 05:11:26 PM »
Hi everybody,

I'm a legit owner of Scala MM400 from Softhut.  When I run it on my A4000T/060, it opens up in a low-res screen mode, but the interface is for hires-laced.  3/4 of the interface is not visible.  I can auto-scroll up & down with the mouse, but the right-hand side of the screen is totally inaccessible/invisible.  This happens with or without a gfx card, with a fresh install of OS 3.1 or 3.5bb2, with caches, without caches, etc.

When I run the same package on my A1200/030, it opens up a Super Hires Laced screen, and the interface is all there, but it is really tiny, in the middle 1/3 and top 1/2 of the screen.  Scripts play back fine but the interface ("Scala Menu") is all in Super Hires Laced.  What the heck?

The box they sold me was labelled "PAL" but they said it would work fine, and that it's the same as the NTSC package.  I have tried booting up in PAL mode and it didn't make any difference.  The scripts play back fine genlocked.  Both of these computers are NTSC models.  

On the A1200, I have tried using ModePro to force Scala to open on an NTSC HiRes Laced screen, and then it shows the whole interface, but only on the top half of the screen!  Forced into NTSC HiRes, the interface goes off the bottom of the visible area.  This is a hint to me that it is the PAL version.

For what it's worth, MM*300* NTSC works *fine* on the A4000T.  I think it worked fine on the A1200 too.

Any ideas?  Am I boondoggled?  Am I stuck working in Super HiRes Laced with a half-PAL half-NTSC MM400?

[edit:  found this old post through Google... http://www.amiga.org/forums/showthread.php?p=284638 ... will try NewMode instead of ModePro.]

- t
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 05:23:36 PM by trilobyte »
Amiga user since \'96, when I could finally afford one
Commodore 8-bit since before I could tie my shoes

Offline spaceman88

• Show only replies by spaceman88
Re: Scala MM400 strange screenmode problem
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 08:11:29 PM »
Hi,
I have the same problem with both MM300 & MM400 I get a different screen mode on every Amiga I install them on!! I'll give Newmode a try.

Quote from: trilobyte;529847
Hi everybody,

I'm a legit owner of Scala MM400 from Softhut.  When I run it on my A4000T/060, it opens up in a low-res screen mode, but the interface is for hires-laced.  3/4 of the interface is not visible.  I can auto-scroll up & down with the mouse, but the right-hand side of the screen is totally inaccessible/invisible.  This happens with or without a gfx card, with a fresh install of OS 3.1 or 3.5bb2, with caches, without caches, etc.

When I run the same package on my A1200/030, it opens up a Super Hires Laced screen, and the interface is all there, but it is really tiny, in the middle 1/3 and top 1/2 of the screen.  Scripts play back fine but the interface ("Scala Menu") is all in Super Hires Laced.  What the heck?

The box they sold me was labelled "PAL" but they said it would work fine, and that it's the same as the NTSC package.  I have tried booting up in PAL mode and it didn't make any difference.  The scripts play back fine genlocked.  Both of these computers are NTSC models.  

On the A1200, I have tried using ModePro to force Scala to open on an NTSC HiRes Laced screen, and then it shows the whole interface, but only on the top half of the screen!  Forced into NTSC HiRes, the interface goes off the bottom of the visible area.  This is a hint to me that it is the PAL version.

For what it's worth, MM*300* NTSC works *fine* on the A4000T.  I think it worked fine on the A1200 too.

Any ideas?  Am I boondoggled?  Am I stuck working in Super HiRes Laced with a half-PAL half-NTSC MM400?

[edit:  found this old post through Google... http://www.amiga.org/forums/showthread.php?p=284638 ... will try NewMode instead of ModePro.]

- t

Offline Gulliver

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 10:07:56 PM »
The problem is simple: you are using a PAL version in an NTSC Amiga. What you experience as having only like 1/4th of the screen is normal when you dont use the adequate version, in your case NTSC.
Dont use Newmode or ModePro with Scala, as it hits the native Amiga chipset.
Solutions:
1-Find a NTSC version of Scala MM400
2-Use Scala in UAE68k

I will dig into my archives to see if i have left somewhere the NTSC version. I find it i will inform you both

Good Luck!

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009, 11:16:05 PM »
@Gulliver:  Option #2 is not possible for two reasons... #1: this is a dongled program, and AFAIK UAE doesn't have any support for dongles, #2: I intend to use it with a genlock.  Yes I know there are cracked versions but then why did I go and buy a legit copy...

The people who sold me the software told me it should work.  Maybe they're wrong!  

Anyway, the scripts play back just fine in the NTSC mode as set in system prefs.  It's just the "menus" which are screwy.  I'm pretty sure I could mode promote* just the menu screen, but leave the playback screen alone... I know none of this is "ideal," but neither is being out $$$ and time.

- t

*not to gfx card -- to native resolution

Offline Jose

• Show only replies by Jose
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2009, 12:52:14 AM »
Are you sure there isn't any tooltype that specifies screenmode ? Never had Scala but a whole bunch of advanced apps back in the day (like Scala) had plenty of options on tooltypes.

José
\\"We made Amiga, they {bleep}ed it up\\"

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2009, 01:05:40 AM »
Quote from: Jose;530199
Are you sure there isn't any tooltype that specifies screenmode ? Never had Scala but a whole bunch of advanced apps back in the day (like Scala) had plenty of options on tooltypes.

Good idea but unfortunately the main program does not have any tooltypes.

The setting for NTSC/PAL is done inside the program, and that setting seems to work...

The "menu" (interface) opens on an NTSC screen, but the contents seem to be made for a PAL screen... that is, if the contents are even fully visible, as is not the case on my 4000T...

- t

Offline Jose

• Show only replies by Jose
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2009, 01:53:11 AM »
Not the most comfortable solution but as an experience, since you have an A4000, you could try to set the jumper on the motherboard to PAL, which effectively turns it into a PAL machine by default.
It's a bit of work to open up an A4000T, I know...
\\"We made Amiga, they {bleep}ed it up\\"

Offline rkauer

• Show only replies by rkauer
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2009, 02:24:22 AM »
Another simple option is locate the configuring archive and edit it to reflect the screenmode you are using.
Goodbye people.

I\'ll pop on from time to time, RL is acting up.

Offline Gulliver

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2009, 02:24:55 AM »
I am sorry, i have Scala MM400 in PAL and only Scala MM300 and InfoChannel 500 in NTSC.
The alternative, could be switching to PAL in the early bootmenu and see how Scala and the genlock, which i suppose is NTSC deal with that.
On a second thought, I was thinking this pogram may do the trick:
http://aminet.net/util/boot/NTSC4NTSC_V2.2.lha

Tell me if it solves the issue!

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2009, 02:43:23 AM »
Quote from: Gulliver;530216
I am sorry, i have Scala MM400 in PAL and only Scala MM300 and InfoChannel 500 in NTSC.
The alternative, could be switching to PAL in the early bootmenu and see how Scala and the genlock, which i suppose is NTSC deal with that.
On a second thought, I was thinking this pogram may do the trick:
http://aminet.net/util/boot/NTSC4NTSC_V2.2.lha

Tell me if it solves the issue!

PAL in early boot menu with an NTSC genlock does not deal well :D

I will try that, thanks.

- t