Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Commodore Amiga Mini  (Read 44460 times)

Description:

Offline Optimus

• Show all replies
Re: Commodore Amiga Mini
« on: March 12, 2012, 10:43:45 PM »
Quote from: Kesa;682782
This is a sham. The keyboard is clearly an Apple keyboard. I have been studying the Amiga keyboard for 10 mins and cannot find any difference between them apart from the labels for the Amiga keys and the function keys. The keyboard below is the one i am using right now and the two are identical. For example the "esc" key on the Apple keyboard is 1mm wider than the one below it and protrudes rightwards while being aligned on the left hand side. The keyboards are (almost) identical!

Edit: OK i found one difference.

Someone on the CUSA forum found it the other day (by the manufacturer but no price), but the post got nearly instantly deleted (before I could copy the URL).

It's being OEMed (of course), it's a real keyboard made by someone else copying the Apple keyboard.

As for the 1000x case, that's easier:

http://www.shop.perfecthometheater.com/HTPC-e5-Silver-Ultra-low-profile-aluminum-chassis-HTPC-e5-S.htm

With custom feet.

The Amiga Mini has been previously outed as this case:

http://www.shop.perfecthometheater.com/HTPC-ITX2-Silver-Ultra-small-aluminum-chassis-HTPC-ITX2-S.htm

On sale for $64.

Barry personally posted today the Amiga Mini, Vic Mini, and the new C64 Supreme would be annouced in "24 to 48 hours" with pre-ordering available to ship at the end of April.

At $2,495 for the Amiga Mini, and $995 for the Vic Mini, I'm personally looking forward to seeing what they cram in a $64 case to get it up anywhere near that cost :crazy: , even more curious how many people intend to buy it, and if they sell the barebones how much C= and Amiga laser etching is worth.

Offline Optimus

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 11:24:50 PM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;683489
I'm missing the joke here, what's the difference with the keyboards? I mean, besides the wonky numpad/trackpad thing?

And $2500 for a kitbash HTPC? Dream on, Barry, dream on...

The wonkey numberpad/trackpad.  Someone in China makes the exact keyboard photoshopped on the box, they are going to slap an Amiga sticker on it.  I'm just not as good as googling as the CUSA forum member that found it...

Offline Optimus

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 03:52:52 PM »
Quote from: number6;683548
part of that is answered here

Let's assume for a moment that don't have their own CNC / laser etcher (Which would be dumb, they should invest it thier own if the intend on selling a lot of these they start at about $10,000 or the cost of 4 Amiga Minis ), how much would you assign to each?

$70 Case
$50 Amiga Logo
$50 C= Laser Etch
$50 Amiga License fee
$50 Commodore License fee

$270 so far, and I'm probably being very generious with $50 for license fee seeing as Uncle Bill has had Amiga put on sub-$100 Andriod tablets.

When we see what the rest of the specs are we can see how it adds up $2500, and how much is "some profit so we can be around to continue this adventure".

Nothing wrong with profit, but I'm not sure who will be willing to pay that much Mini-ITX HTPC, even with Commodore Amiga enblazen on it :roflmao:

It's hard to find a PC that expensive.  Even an 27" iMacs are cheaper (and come with a 27" monitor !)

Offline Optimus

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 05:39:03 PM »
Quote from: Kesa;683600
Where did you find those values? Did you make them up? I would love to see some ABC numbers from Barry so i can play around with them...

Maybe he should talk with Trevor Dick as did some case customizing with the boing ball on his x1000.

Those numbers are totally made up by me, except you can buy a brand new Laser Etcher that will do the job for 10K. But I think I'm being very liberal with those numbers all the way around. My only point is the price point is sheer insanity at $2500 for any Mini-ITX x86 system with a $64 case.

Also, Leo posted a note that the keyboard in question for the 1000x is "Concept" keyboard and not made by any manufacturer yet. Um yea.

And the announcement for the Amiga Mini was delayed again. Supposedly it's going to be sometime today. I stopped holding my breath. The first time they posted the proposed specs someone questioned why they would use a $1000 mobile CPU in a case that could use a faster cheaper 65 watt desktop processor. Leo quickly removed those specs and said it was a mistake, the Amiga Mini would use a desktop processor. This was supposedly when it was a few days away from being released in February when CUSA posted that it was going through "it's final paces" of testing.

CUSA is (at best) fast and loose with the truth. The C64x case seems really nice (and people are generally happy with them), but everything else they have said and done is shady.

Offline Optimus

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2012, 05:11:31 AM »
Quote from: CritAnime;684592
So we are looking at $3490 for the top of the range model and 2495 for the cheapo bog standard one. Oh and $349 for the case.

No thanks. :(

"SPECIAL INTRODUCTORY PRICES and FREE SHIPPING WORLDWIDE"

Keep in mind that's the low low introductory price. They intend on jacking it up higher later.  They did make the barebones $350, same as C64x.

Offline Optimus

• Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2012, 05:41:22 AM »
Approx. $200 for the Motherboard, $350 for the CPU, $150 for 16GB so-dimm, $140 the Blu-Ray, $60 for the Pico-PSU, $150 for the 1TB SATA drive, $64 for the case. That adds up to $1114. And that's me buying retail, assuming they have no ability to buy in bulk and get a discount.  And you know, that's fine, I'm all for obscence profit but...

I'm just wondering who in their right mind buys this compared to other computers available at $2500.  WHO???

Offline Optimus

• Show all replies
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2012, 06:07:53 PM »
Funny that's the only post referring to a re-config, and there is nothing since.

They do have one member that said he was going to buy a low end one, and Barry promised to rummage the tech department (Leo's desk?) for a mouse for him, because he said he was thinking about getting one from AmigaKit.

Offline Optimus

• Show all replies
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2012, 07:19:49 PM »
Quote from: Edpon;698084
And contrary to popular belief, it's not a $2500+ machine. Mine Was $1500.

Anyhow, it's meant as a service to anyone who's interested in the machine, as well as, to show that it does exist.

Ed

Congratulations on buying an i3 Mini ITX PC that could be built for less than $500 for $1500.  It's nice they were magnanimous enough to change their configurations and pricing to bring the pricing down to the point to get one customer to buy.

So, 5 months after it was announced, and 3 months after you ordered it, it does finially exist!  Man it sure takes a long time to engrave the Amiga logo on a $60 case ( I guess the crappy hand painting in the logo takes time)

Offline Optimus

• Show all replies
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2012, 06:38:53 PM »
Quote from: Edpon;698664
All,

My 2nd video on the Commodore Amiga Mini (Setup) is now live.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_fuf2WS5LM&feature=youtu.be

Ed

Ed-

You expressed doubt that one could build your system minus the engravings for $500, and wanted to know where I shop? Well, your right, I exaggerated a little but, look at the following -

First, I shop where Barry shops for his cases, PerfectHomeTheater.com :

http://www.shop.perfecthometheater.com/HTPC-ITX2-Black-Ultra-small-aluminum-chassis-HTPC-ITX2-B.htm

You can get the case, power supply, and Blu-ray for $271 . P.S. That's a good link for you, because you can pick up the IR reciever and remote for your case. You'll also find virtually all of the concept cases Barry and Leo have pitched there.

You can get the i3-2120 for $125:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&N=-1&isNodeId=1&Description=i3-2120+&x=20&y=13

The ZOTAC Motherboard has been discontinued and deactivated from Newegg, but when it was there it was $200 (I'll have find another thread where I had an exact price scoped out):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813500070

But, you can still find it for $200 here:

http://chucksaudiovideo.com/product/33288_Zotac-Intel-LGA-1155-Z68-Supreme-with-WiFi-GT-430-GPU-Mini-ITX-Intel-Z68-Mini-ITX-DDR3-1333-LGA-1155-Motherboards-Z68ITX-B-E-Z68ITX-B-E.html

And a 4 GB DDR3 SO-DIM, take your pick at $20: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&N=-1&isNodeId=1&Description=4gb+SO-DIMM+ddr3

Add a 1 TB Sata Drive for $100:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822178006

So, that adds up to $716. And if I don't buy my Blu-Ray from PerfectHomeTheater.com , (which he's not anymore because he won't pay cost for a Sony with the eject button now) I can do better.

That means that the Amiga engravings and profit for Barry & Co. is about $800 assuming Barry pays street price and doesn't get any dealer discounts for these rediculous "group buys" he is really doing, fronting them as 4-6 week lead times or 3 month "pre-orders". It's less than honest at best, and someone considering buying a computer from them should be made aware of what they are getting into.

So, in fairness, I amend my statement, you waited for 3 months for a $700 computer that you paid $1500 for. And the specifications changed from when you ordered first ordered it because they didn't trouble themselves with actually testing one before they put them out for pre-order.

Feel better?

P.S. I really feel sorry for the people who ordered a C64x Extreme in December and waited 6 months to end up getting a C64x Supreme. I've counted 2 people like that so far on the CUSA forum.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 06:47:12 PM by Optimus »

Offline Optimus

• Show all replies
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2012, 11:14:15 PM »
Quote from: Edpon;698925
@Optimus

Excellent links and research. I'll bring this up in the next video, and no I don't necessarily "Feel" better, but at least you did your homework and showed where I could have built roughly the same computer for less. It's ok though, because as I've said in previous forums, I'LL be the guinea pig for all of you, to see if this computer is worth getting, if it lives up to the sacred Amiga name (I'll tell you all honestly in the video after I've researched the OS) and if it's a good multi-OS machine. I can kind of understand now why some of you hate CUSA, but like I said in the video, I'll give any company a chance to they screw me over. No buying this machine at a nice sized profit is not screwing me over - that was my fault for not doing research and simply wanting to buy a different flavored "Amiga" machine. Thanks.

Ed
;)

I don't mean to make this personal, you at least seem to want to be objective.

Barry wants people to buy this to feel special and that they have bought an elite PC. They have deleted posts over at c-a.org when people have tried to share this information.

Ordinarily, a legitimate dealer would buy OEM components at wholesale, build the PC and mark it up to the retail price of the components, plus perhaps a small additional profit. They would do so up front and have the computer in stock. You have to do this to compete in the PC market.

Barry, by his own admission in the interview over here, marks it up to retail and then doubles the price (he claims he is being just like Apple).

When he first released the Amiga Mini, it was double the price plus $500.

Add to that he doesn't ever stock anything , waits for a few orders to pile up, then goes and buys the parts in bulk and assembles them.

Meanwhile, he rains down excuses why he can't deliver. When he posted in Early May (when 6 weeks were over and people wanted to know what the status was) that he was shipping next week, what the heck could have possibly made it take over a month?

When he emailed the picture of the first Mini cases and claimed they would be making hundreds per day, did you believe it?

He likes to claim people are close to libel and slander when they criticize him. Reality is his puffery borders on fraud.

Perhaps you will be perfectly happy with your purchase , and that's fine. You weren't screwed, just worked over by a furniture salesman.

But, I want people to go into this with both eyes open.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 05:16:48 PM by Optimus »

Offline Optimus

• Show all replies
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2012, 09:15:04 PM »
Quote from: number6;699148
Although I saw the term "Fusion" referenced prior, I now see that both Leo and Barry have written a bit about it:

source

:rofl:

So, BBAussie is sick, despite in January writing he was putting the Amiga Mini through the paces (And while I wish no ill of anyone, he seemed well enough to kindly threaten TheDaddy for using an Amiga sticker on the X500Plus), Barry goes and tries to load COS Vision on the first Mini and it goes belly up.

So Barry decides to load up the latest Mint and copy some Commodore Wallpapers and VICE over to it and call it Fusion? :roflmao:

And, this is not a failure on thier flagship Amiga computer, but the future?:biglaugh:

Then, Barry calls all of the customers up (Ed and ?) and tells them he's sorry, COS Vision won't run on it, but the new Fusion will, and asks if they want to wait for Vision and they all (again, Ed and ?) say hell no ship me my PC that I was supposed to get in April?

@Edpon, I'm guessing the conversation didn't exactly go that way...care to elaborate?  When did the Barron bless you with his personal call to let you know of your "upgrade" to Fusion.