Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Commodore Amiga Mini  (Read 44472 times)

Description:

Offline Optimus

• Show only replies by Optimus
Re: Commodore Amiga Mini
« Reply #89 from previous page: March 21, 2012, 05:41:22 AM »
Approx. $200 for the Motherboard, $350 for the CPU, $150 for 16GB so-dimm, $140 the Blu-Ray, $60 for the Pico-PSU, $150 for the 1TB SATA drive, $64 for the case. That adds up to $1114. And that's me buying retail, assuming they have no ability to buy in bulk and get a discount.  And you know, that's fine, I'm all for obscence profit but...

I'm just wondering who in their right mind buys this compared to other computers available at $2500.  WHO???

Offline CritAnime

• Previous Life Time Member
    • Show only replies by CritAnime
« Reply #90 on: March 21, 2012, 05:53:29 AM »
I don't understand the need for 16gb RAM. Especially as most user, unless they into video editing, probably won't even come close to needing that much. 6gb I can understand, 8gb at a push but everything else is wasted. Maybe even on a proffesional level.

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show only replies by Kesa
« Reply #91 on: March 21, 2012, 06:04:09 AM »
Quote from: CritAnime;684601
I don't understand the need for 16gb RAM. Especially as most user, unless they into video editing, probably won't even come close to needing that much. 6gb I can understand, 8gb at a push but everything else is wasted. Maybe even on a profesional level.

I agree. I'm guessing this is because ram is:

1 - dirt cheap

2 - an easy way to impress someone.

PS i'm having a massive takeaway fish 'n' chip craving right now   :) :(
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.

Offline CritAnime

• Previous Life Time Member
    • Show only replies by CritAnime
« Reply #92 on: March 21, 2012, 07:14:44 AM »
I think it's to impress. It's not exactly el cheapo for RAM but it's not exactly expensive either. I think it's far too much and should be a configuartion option. The graphics card is also a poor choice. It's essentially an HTPC card and I think it will end up bottle necking the system on demanding tasks.

Not that HTPC cards are bad. But they aren't the powerhouses that CUSA make them out to be.

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show only replies by Kesa
« Reply #93 on: March 21, 2012, 07:52:30 AM »
I don't know much about that stuff so I'll just take your word for it.

I also think the Bluray is a bit gimicky too. Why would you put a Bluray on an Amiga? I have a PS3 and you couldn't force me to use it, so how would you get people to use it on an Amiga? Bluray is nothing more than a gimmick. Kinda like 3DTV.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 09:57:03 AM by Kesa »
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.

Offline kedawa

• Show only replies by kedawa
« Reply #94 on: March 21, 2012, 05:55:28 PM »
My friend has 16GB of RAM on his work PC, and runs his system without a page file.  I'm not sure how much of a performance increase this generates, but RAM is so cheap, who cares?

Offline swoslover

• Show only replies by swoslover
    • http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Relictronic-Boutique
« Reply #95 on: March 25, 2012, 05:01:11 PM »
$500 dollar price drop
A1200
CD32
A4000

Offline number6

« Reply #96 on: March 25, 2012, 06:41:59 PM »
@thread

Looking at google news, there is less coverage for this than CUSA received last year on the news of the Disney connection and launch of the C64x.

However, this is probably considered "mainstream" media:

TIME

For those who like to read a lot of comments instead:

Slashdot

Offline TheBilgeRat

• Show only replies by TheBilgeRat
« Reply #97 on: March 25, 2012, 06:50:58 PM »
Quote from: number6;685346
@thread

Looking at google news, there is less coverage for this than CUSA received last year on the news of the Disney connection and launch of the C64x.

However, this is probably considered "mainstream" media:

TIME

For those who like to read a lot of comments instead:

Slashdot

I heart Slashdot.

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #98 on: March 25, 2012, 06:51:35 PM »
Quote from: Harry McCracken
Seeing the Amiga moniker on a new computer is like learning that a young guitarist has decided to perform under the name Jimi Hendrix. It’s presumptuous at best, pointless at worst and unlikely to delight Hendrix fans.

Or to put it another way: I knew the Amiga. The Amiga was a computer of mine. Amiga Mini, you’re no Amiga.
I heart TIME.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline TheBilgeRat

« Reply #99 on: March 25, 2012, 06:53:55 PM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;685350
I heart TIME.

Morris Day and the Time?

[youtube]hYm4C1js_l0[/youtube]

:)

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #100 on: March 25, 2012, 06:56:59 PM »
No, Time by ELO.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3U52sP25ynE[/youtube]
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 06:59:12 PM by commodorejohn »
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline TheBilgeRat

« Reply #101 on: March 25, 2012, 06:59:49 PM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;685352
No, Time by ELO.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3U52sP25ynE[/youtube]

Wow, that's a blast from the past :D

Offline number6

« Reply #102 on: March 25, 2012, 07:38:24 PM »
@thread

Before anyone points to another article giving an opposing view, I'll add that I do not see much of an opposing view.

And I can't link to something like PCWorld, when they write:

Commodore USA, which licensed the Commodore name from a company called Commodore Gaming, gained exclusive rights to the Amiga name in August 2010, clearing the way for the launch of the all-in-one desktops.

2 and 1/2 errors in one sentence -alone- leads to a fact credibility gap methinks.

CUSA licensed from Asiarim who is now being sued, along with quite a list of others.
Amiga Inc. licensed to IContain, after the 2010 date, ergo "exclusive" term was also wrong.
Contract was re-negotiated for the exact opposite reason of NOT having to be tied to AIO, hence my "1/2 wrong" rating on that one.

Sheesh...who writes this crap.

Offline Yasu

• Show only replies by Yasu
« Reply #103 on: March 25, 2012, 10:14:41 PM »
If I took my Windows Vista PC and added a boing ball background on it, it still wouldn't make it an Amiga, right? The same with this stuff. I don't think they could have made a more different product if they tried.

What annoyed me most when I saw a youtube clip about CommodoreOS was how much they tried to impress with computerized *bling-bling*. All that fancy but totally useless effects when doing normal, everyday stuff. It even started to lag when you moved your cursor over too many icons at the same time, because of all the visual effects. OK, I guess you can turn it off, but who are they trying to fool here?

All and all, this is a Linux computer and little more. Except for the nice parts and hefty price tag that is.

Offline Master Chief

• Show only replies by Master Chief
« Reply #104 on: March 26, 2012, 02:37:58 AM »
Quote from: Yasu;685379
If I took my Windows Vista PC and added a boing ball background on it, it still wouldn't make it an Amiga, right? The same with this stuff. I don't think they could have made a more different product if they tried.

What annoyed me most when I saw a youtube clip about CommodoreOS was how much they tried to impress with computerized *bling-bling*. All that fancy but totally useless effects when doing normal, everyday stuff. It even started to lag when you moved your cursor over too many icons at the same time, because of all the visual effects. OK, I guess you can turn it off, but who are they trying to fool here?

All and all, this is a Linux computer and little more. Except for the nice parts and hefty price tag that is.

I totally agree.