Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Sony's Cell chip for a New Amiga  (Read 4633 times)

Description:

Offline smerf

• Show only replies by smerf
Re: Sony's Cell chip for a New Amiga
« Reply #29 from previous page: December 10, 2011, 03:10:16 PM »
Quote from: Middleman;670854
...do you think it's possible? Discuss!

Hi,

No discussion needed, next monthe go to http://www.maximumpc.com and go back into their magazine archives, and read the article "The state of GPU computing". The reason I am telling you this, is because I know that most of you are to cheap to buy the mag, so you can read it for free, because they have it in pdf format on their website, why listen to a bunch of think it know it alls from around the world, when maximumpc puts it through it's paces and tells you tested results. In other words it is not hear say from a bunch of know it alls from around the world, some that have a hard time just getting electricity.

smerf
I have no idea what your talking about, so here is a doggy with a small pancake on his head.

MorphOS is a MAC done a little better

Offline obscurepanic

• Show only replies by obscurepanic
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2011, 03:41:16 PM »
I heard that Sony's Cell chip is partly inspired from some functions from SPARC and that it's an awkward hardware system.

Hell, I would rather want an upgraded CISC.

Offline MiddlemanTopic starter

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Middleman
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2011, 05:17:18 PM »
Quote from: smerf;670988
Hi,

No discussion needed, next monthe go to http://www.maximumpc.com and go back into their magazine archives, and read the article "The state of GPU computing". The reason I am telling you this, is because I know that most of you are to cheap to buy the mag, so you can read it for free, because they have it in pdf format on their website, why listen to a bunch of think it know it alls from around the world, when maximumpc puts it through it's paces and tells you tested results. In other words it is not hear say from a bunch of know it alls from around the world, some that have a hard time just getting electricity.

smerf

Thanks Smerf, I'll have a look...

Offline Tripitaka

• Show only replies by Tripitaka
    • http://acidapple.com
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2011, 07:24:38 PM »
Quote from: smerf;670988
The reason I am telling you this, is because I know that most of you are to cheap to buy the mag, so you can read it for free

Cheap! Yup, that's me, saving cash to buy the stuff I really want (like Natami). I'll give the link a read once I've had some sleep (only got 3 hours last night).
Falling into a dark and red rage.

Offline gertsy

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by gertsy
    • http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~gbakker64/
« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2011, 12:27:27 AM »
Quote from: bloodline;670871
Yeah, that did come across as a bit harsh... But yeah, I'm not a fan, the actual CPU core is pretty weak and of little use for desktop work.

The Xbox 360's CPU is better, but no AmigaOS can handle multiple cores (due to an architectural limitation, that was designed into the OS from the start), so wouldn't be much use either...

My thoughts are that If an OS can handle a single core then it can be architected to handle multiple cores. Even if it is via loosely coupled multiple OS instances running in there own segregated resource pools per task, it can still be done.  With time and effort. The challenges would be around the integration of display and hardware access.  But nothing different than the same challenges on virtual host OSes.

Imagine a multi threaded Amiga OS running on current CPU and GPU hardware and us doing the things that we do on Mac and PC today.  Mmmm Power.  I'd buy that for a dollar.

Offline MiddlemanTopic starter

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Middleman
« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2011, 02:04:40 AM »
Quote from: gertsy;671027
My thoughts are that If an OS can handle a single core then it can be architected to handle multiple cores. Even if it is via loosely coupled multiple OS instances running in there own segregated resource pools per task, it can still be done.  With time and effort. The challenges would be around the integration of display and hardware access.  But nothing different than the same challenges on virtual host OSes.

Imagine a multi threaded Amiga OS running on current CPU and GPU hardware and us doing the things that we do on Mac and PC today.  Mmmm Power.  I'd buy that for a dollar.

==Exactly! That's what we need for today....

But what is it going to take for us to get there? The closest thing I can see right now (where we can truly run AmigaOS 'natively' on x86 hardware so to speak) is the Umilator/Amithlon project. But that's been on hold for so long (with its legal issues mainly between Bernie and H&P) it is literally killing the market (and the real future) of AmigaOS...

Sometimes I just wish in my mind all these people would 'grow up' and start acting civil for once. They need to understand that 'greed' is not going to get them anywhere, but only mutual respect, giving what others deserve, and through teamwork ie. collaboration. I look at the issue that because of greed, it has prevented any of the involved parties (H&P, Bernie, Amiga, Hyperion) from making any money the past decade. Have they thought about that? Not the greed itself, but the potential income they 'didn't make' because of a single argument or threats of legal action.

I would daresay the key to all of this mess lies with H&P. Had it not been their aggressive stance, refusal to pay Amiga Inc. and Bernie his dues, we wouldn't be in this mess today. If we were lucky we'd probably even see loads of Commodore retail stores, Commodore-branded tablets, systems and phones by this time now.....

Offline gertsy

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by gertsy
    • http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~gbakker64/
« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2011, 07:47:15 AM »
Unfortunately mutual respect 'aint going to make you rich.  People don't want to be in for the long hall and a big R&D investment. Quick return is the way to go.

Offline Hattig

• Show only replies by Hattig
« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2011, 01:13:18 PM »
Quote from: gertsy;671041
Unfortunately mutual respect 'aint going to make you rich.  People don't want to be in for the long hall and a big R&D investment. Quick return is the way to go.

The Amiga isn't going to make anyone rich these days. The best bet is to make specific hardware for a certain market and to also make it run AmigaOS as a side-benefit. Hence Linux PowerPC boards that can also run AmigaOS.

Offline Crom00

• Show only replies by Crom00
« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2011, 03:32:20 PM »
I dunno guys from what I see there will never be a mainstream release of anything Amiga. I have no research to claim this, but I assume at some point... The Amiga must have been flagged as disruptive technology and permanently bought out and shelved from any significant developments.

I have seen this practice first hand where competitors buy out a technology or product or licensing category and kill it rather than try and compete with it.