Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Is Hyperion really killing Amiga  (Read 5536 times)

Description:

Re: Is Hyperion really killing Amiga
« Reply #29 from previous page: June 05, 2003, 11:21:09 AM »
Um, doesn't Hyperion specialize in porting apps from other platforms to the Amiga? I think they would have a pretty good idea of the work involved in porting 68K to PPC.

Hyperion are world reknowned for doing absolutely ####ty jobs of porting apps from one platform or another. Just ask MacPlay, check some other Mac gaming forums about user complaints. See how they had a game port taken from them for stalling for 2 years and producing incredibly badly performing code.

Hyperion blamed it on "crap Mac hardware", but the other company managed to port the game perfectly fine and get it performing excellently.

What you have basically is Hyperion, which are supposedly good at porting DirectX code to OpenGL, and "optimising" parts of that code into PPC assembler - which does not qualify any of them to do an operating system - and quite frankly they would not be first choice for most companies to port their game to Mac or Amiga or Linux or whatever.. :)

In their defence, what probably does qualify some of the team is their academic acheivements (degrees, diplomas)..

.. but that does not mean they can do it, just that they spent some time 20 years ago in the dark ages coding on some VAX cluster.

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2003, 12:46:39 PM »
@Neko,

With respect, what the **** do you, yourself personally, know about their developer abilities?
Have you worked with any of their code?
If not, then your'e not in a position to judge

So OS4 is behind schedule. Show me any other (propriety) OS producer that has hit a target on time.
Windows hasn't *ever* hit an original release date and Mac are hardly any better. How long were they pimping OSX before it was actually available? I first read about it when OS8 was out.

Youd think if any user base had learned patience it would be us :-)
int p; // A

Offline HyperionMP

• Show only replies by HyperionMP
    • http://www.hyperion-entertainment.com
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2003, 12:57:16 PM »
>Hyperion are world reknowned for doing absolutely ####ty >jobs of porting apps from one platform or another.

Yeah sure Matt. Pure hearsay.

Shogo for Mac was ported by MorphOS heroes Titan and I'll agree that the port was crap.

Gorky 17 was ported by us to Mac for Epic and they still owe us more than 40% of the contractually agreed upon fee which is why we are not doing any further updates of it.

>Just ask MacPlay, check some other Mac gaming forums >about user complaints. See how they had a game port taken >from them for stalling for 2 years and producing incredibly >badly performing code.

Fact of the matter is that we complied fully with our contractual obligations towards MacPlay.

For the pittance that we were offered, we didn't sign on to rewrite the LithTech engine from scratch.

They brought in another coding team for AVP2.

That was more than 1 year ago despite the fact that they had full access to our codebase and we got the game to the first milestone already.

And it still isn't released.

It seems we weren't so bad after all.

You should stay away from those MorphOS sessions.

Reality tends to get twisted there quite badly.

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2003, 01:11:53 PM »

Neko wrote:
Um, doesn't Hyperion specialize in porting apps from other platforms to the Amiga? I think they would have a pretty good idea of the work involved in porting 68K to PPC.

Hyperion are world reknowned for doing absolutely ####ty jobs of porting apps from one platform or another. Just ask MacPlay, check some other Mac gaming forums about user complaints. See how they had a game port taken from them for stalling for 2 years and producing incredibly badly performing code.

Hyperion blamed it on "crap Mac hardware", but the other company managed to port the game perfectly fine and get it performing excellently.

What you have basically is Hyperion, which are supposedly good at porting DirectX code to OpenGL, and "optimising" parts of that code into PPC assembler - which does not qualify any of them to do an operating system - and quite frankly they would not be first choice for most companies to port their game to Mac or Amiga or Linux or whatever.. :)

In their defence, what probably does qualify some of the team is their academic acheivements (degrees, diplomas)..

.. but that does not mean they can do it, just that they spent some time 20 years ago in the dark ages coding on some VAX cluster.

I expect Hyperion have probably bitten off a little more than they can chew with Their AOS4... but It's a bit harsh to say they are crap at porting stuff.

I am really interested to see their solution for AOS4, I personally think they should have used at least some AROS code so as to speed up development, in much the same way MOS have done and AOS3.9 did...
They really do need to get AOS4 out as soon as possible!!!

Offline jd997uk

• Show only replies by jd997uk
« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2003, 01:12:10 PM »
@Neko

And your qualifications are......

Education

1994 - 1996 Rawlins Community College, Quorn
Qualifications Obtained - GCSE
English B
Maths B
Science (Double Award) BB
Art (3D Design) B
Art (Drawing & Painting) C
Design Technology B
French C
Humanities C

National Curriculum Coursework
Computer Literacy B

1996 - 1998 A-Levels
Statistics C
Physics D
Computing D

Speaks volumes eh? :-P

-john
Don\\\'t panic - bite the towel.

Offline HyperionMP

• Show only replies by HyperionMP
« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2003, 01:16:30 PM »
Yes, it does indeed speak volumes.

Offline DaveP

• Show only replies by DaveP
« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2003, 01:16:37 PM »
The link explains the chip on the shoulder and the "amiable" is stretching it a bit far from the truth sometimes but is it really fair to link direct to something with Matts personal details and address on?

Hate figure. :lol:

Offline jd997uk

• Show only replies by jd997uk
« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2003, 01:27:29 PM »
@DaveP

OK, fair enough. Now edited just to show the relevant 'qualifications' that Matt has to back up the "know-it-all" angle he uses, when putting the boot in on any subject he considers himself an expert on.

-john
Don\\\'t panic - bite the towel.

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2003, 01:28:52 PM »

DaveP wrote:
The link explains the chip on the shoulder and the "amiable" is stretching it a bit far from the truth sometimes but is it really fair to link direct to something with Matts personal details and address on?

Yeah, that's not a good idea... but then that CV is publicly viewable...

One point though... Matt claims to work for "Genesi UK Ltd." but I can find no Company of that name registered in England or Wales.  :-?

Offline meerschaum

• Show only replies by meerschaum
« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2003, 01:34:28 PM »
I pretty much agree with Neko on all points... I think he makes alot of sense... as to the education stuff... it dosent matter so long as you get a job and know your stuff... anyone  could have gotten a comp sci degree in the 80's just by knowing a little basic or fortran... and goofing around... actually bieng able to apply it and 'walk the walk' so to speak is very differant...in the end the true test is the real world...

as long as I've seen  Neko he's been a prick(not a personal attack I think Neko will agree this is the truth)...but I've yet to see him disproven when he states a fact...from what I've seen he keeps his mouth rightfully shut when its something he dosent know about...and condescends angrily when he does... I actually get a kick out of watching Neko pop off...its like that oscar puke from sesame street always getting mad...but in a good natured sort of way

Offline Mr_Capehill

• Show only replies by Mr_Capehill
« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2003, 02:34:07 PM »
@Neko: I'd like to know (honestly!) what are the qualifications of MOS team? Have these guys worked with operating systems before?

Linus was a beginner also when he started doing Linux. A geek who has just learnt 'C' and read some Tanenbaum. Of course, some years have passed since then and the coder base is a lot larger.

Offline Bodie

• Show only replies by Bodie
« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2003, 02:42:09 PM »
How is this Neko?

Never heard of him before.

Offline uncharted

• Show only replies by uncharted
« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2003, 03:08:49 PM »

Bodie wrote:
How is this Neko?

Never heard of him before.

Lucky you.

Offline ikir

• Show only replies by ikir
    • http://www.ikirsector.it
« Reply #42 on: June 05, 2003, 03:12:33 PM »
Is this a flame party?

Offline EntilZha

• Show only replies by EntilZha
« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2003, 03:23:39 PM »
> and quite frankly they would not be first choice for most
> companies to port their game to Mac or Amiga or Linux or
> whatever.. :)

Ah, that must be the reason why Monlith said about Shogo for Linux: "During all our beta tests, Shogo never ever crashed. We are so proud!"

Oh well...  :-D
- Thomas

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
    • Show only replies by redrumloa
« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2003, 03:38:59 PM »

ikir wrote:
Is this a flame party?

It looks that way, and getting very personal. Therefore locky locky time. :-x
Someone has to state the obvious and that someone is me!