Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Is Hyperion really killing Amiga  (Read 5619 times)

Description:

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show all replies
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
Re: Is Hyperion really killing Amiga
« on: June 05, 2003, 01:11:53 PM »

Neko wrote:
Um, doesn't Hyperion specialize in porting apps from other platforms to the Amiga? I think they would have a pretty good idea of the work involved in porting 68K to PPC.

Hyperion are world reknowned for doing absolutely ####ty jobs of porting apps from one platform or another. Just ask MacPlay, check some other Mac gaming forums about user complaints. See how they had a game port taken from them for stalling for 2 years and producing incredibly badly performing code.

Hyperion blamed it on "crap Mac hardware", but the other company managed to port the game perfectly fine and get it performing excellently.

What you have basically is Hyperion, which are supposedly good at porting DirectX code to OpenGL, and "optimising" parts of that code into PPC assembler - which does not qualify any of them to do an operating system - and quite frankly they would not be first choice for most companies to port their game to Mac or Amiga or Linux or whatever.. :)

In their defence, what probably does qualify some of the team is their academic acheivements (degrees, diplomas)..

.. but that does not mean they can do it, just that they spent some time 20 years ago in the dark ages coding on some VAX cluster.

I expect Hyperion have probably bitten off a little more than they can chew with Their AOS4... but It's a bit harsh to say they are crap at porting stuff.

I am really interested to see their solution for AOS4, I personally think they should have used at least some AROS code so as to speed up development, in much the same way MOS have done and AOS3.9 did...
They really do need to get AOS4 out as soon as possible!!!

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show all replies
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
Re: Is Hyperion really killing Amiga
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2003, 01:28:52 PM »

DaveP wrote:
The link explains the chip on the shoulder and the "amiable" is stretching it a bit far from the truth sometimes but is it really fair to link direct to something with Matts personal details and address on?

Yeah, that's not a good idea... but then that CV is publicly viewable...

One point though... Matt claims to work for "Genesi UK Ltd." but I can find no Company of that name registered in England or Wales.  :-?