Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Trouble with XAmiga  (Read 2672 times)

Description:

Offline thanosTopic starter

• Show only replies by thanos
Trouble with XAmiga
« on: March 16, 2008, 05:29:19 PM »
Hello everyone.

I was wondering if any/many people have had luck with Xamiga?

I have a machine ready to give it a whirl, but no luck with the installation.

I believe it is a configuration issue, I'm not sure the install finds the ROM...

I would like to participate in a little dialog if anybody is interested.

a500 a1200 a2000

c64 c128

Offline Sig999

• Show only replies by Sig999
Re: Trouble with XAmiga
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 08:04:32 PM »
Never tried it - but just looked it up, it looks like a cut down linux distro running a version of UAE - unless I'm missing something.. But from what I read it's also running it over X windows and using AmiWM.

About 5 years ago when I was playing around a LOT with Linux I'd tried both AmiWM (which is more or less just a low featured windows manager that resembles an amiga) and UAE. I ended up at one point just setting up my linux box to boot straight into UAE from the shell with all the bits and peices it needed for setting up.  The result was a pretty transparent 'Near Amiga Experience'.  I was going to mess around with the current UAE source and see if what fun stuff I could do - but I managed to come across a copy of Amithlon for sale, so I messed with that instead until that box went 'kablooie' and I walked away from it for a few years..

Anyways - point being, it wasn't hard to use any off the shelf Linux distro to do this - and I had the added benefit of it setting up all the hardware detection, installation, network setup, etc for me....

Unless X Amiga is doing something really cool that I'm missing from thier web page....

Cheers

Sig

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2008, 11:39:32 PM »
XAmiga seems like a really cool project.  I know its only E-UAE on top of a minimal linux install.  I still think its cool that somebody took the time and effort to create a project like this.

Hmmm...

I have played around a little bit more, because I just can't help myself.

I discovered that the installer didn't copy the ROM as I expected.  I'm sure I was the one who didn't follow the steps correctly.

I manually put the ROM in the location I believe to be correct, still no joy.

Ah well, I will probably keep playing around for a while yet.  I'm sure I will eventually get it correct.

a500 a1200 a2000

c64 c128

Offline Sig999

• Show only replies by Sig999
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2008, 01:20:37 AM »
Don't get me wrong - I'm not denegrading their project. It's a nifty idea and a bit of work to make any kind of distribution for Linux.

I'm just thinking that if you find no joy with it - you could do such a setup yourself without their CD, and maybe you'd find out by comparison what is going wrong.

Offline Fraccy

• Show only replies by Fraccy
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2008, 11:02:51 AM »
I'm sorry about the installation problems.  I've had to leave development while I work on another (very similar) project... ;-)

Just for reference: X-Amiga is not another cut-down distro, it's uniquely engineered for E-UAE.  Only the graphical installer runs on AmiWM.   The main 'cool' features are: size (can run in <12MB) and optimisation (properly configured, it will boot EXTREMELY quickly).  No 'off-the-shelf' distro can claim this.

The downside is that it's finicky about configuration...

Note that the installer CD has a file manager, so you can manually copy Amiga files.  The only thing you have to ensure is that the E-UAE configuration .uaerc is set up properly.

Want any help with this?

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2008, 03:35:00 PM »
Heya...

Thanks for the reply.

You should not be sorry about any issues.  I'm sure the amount of effort that goes into a project like this is considerable.

I have spent a little more time looking into the trouble I have had.  I will try again this weekend and post something more specific in regards to my troubles.

I will provide a copy of my '.uaerc', and any other details I think might be helpful.

I look forward to continuing this project, along with all the others.  I guess the upside is that I have learned a little more about linux.

Hmmm, must be getting interesting, I have actually ordered a few books, damn learning...

a500 a1200 a2000

c64 c128

Offline 0amigan0

• Show only replies by 0amigan0
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2008, 10:42:11 AM »
@Fraccy:

I'm willing to install XAmiga on my PC, but I must be sure my usb printer works under it.
I've found this guide on the net on how to install a usb printer in gentoo linux,
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/printing-howto.xml

Is it ok following it or is there another method ?

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2008, 12:17:23 PM »
@Fraccy:

Heh...

Just thought I'd add a little status update...

I have loaned my target machine to a buddy.

I will be collecting it, the machine, soon so that I can give  the installation another go.

I haven't forgotten your offer of assistance.

a500 a1200 a2000

c64 c128

Offline Fingers

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2008, 06:31:23 AM »
Anyone know what causes this?

Offline tiffers

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2008, 09:40:22 AM »
@Fingers

When is this happening?
Amiga FTW!

Offline Fingers

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2008, 01:46:38 PM »
It happens just as X-Amiga seems to start...after the "X" cursor icon has been up for a few secs.

The creator was kind enough to reply on EAB, but I just can't get it sorted out...I suck WRT Linux.

Will probably wait for the next release, as I've got much better things to do with my time than spend an entire night getting bloody knuckles from punching a Linux PC for not working!

PZ.

Offline Fraccy

• Show only replies by Fraccy
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2008, 09:03:08 PM »
Hi!

@Fingers

The new version of KX Light should be out soon. It's a lot more friendly than X-Amiga, and can now be installed easily to hard disk. So, be nice to your Linux PC ;-)

I'll be updating X-Amiga soon, with a few fundamental changes (there's no point competing with KX Light!). I still intend to keep it small (miniscule!) and fast...  Of course, you can always email me; send log files, .uaerc configuration, etc. and I'll try to figure out what the problem is.

@0amigan0

Unfortunately, E-UAE doesn't support printing. It's not quite as advanced as WinUAE...

It's possible to put together a small Windows system (check out http://www.litepc.com/) to run WinUAE. That could be an interesting project, but there's no way to distribute it freely.

Amir

Offline Tricky

• Show only replies by Tricky
    • http://www.jigsawlounge.co.uk/kungfu/
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2008, 01:45:27 PM »
XAmiga looks like exactly what I want right now.  But is there any way to make the screen refresh at 50Hz instead of 60Hz?  I'm a PAL Amiga user!
[A1200/060, 32Mb fast RAM, 1.2Gb HDD, 19\\" Acer TFT Monitor]
I never write anything that won\\\'t run on a stock A1200.  That\\\'s the Jigsaw Lounge Guarantee.

Offline Fingers

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2008, 02:41:51 PM »
Thanks for keeping us up to speed Fraccy! :-D

I've tagged this thread & will keep an eye out for any updates...I'm not only a Linux moron, but don't really have the time to sort it out myself with my million projects to figure it out...and did I say I am a Linux moron? :crazy:

PZ.