Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: TeamAROS EUAE Integration Bounty Now Over $2080  (Read 5379 times)

Description:

Offline little

• Show all replies
Re: TeamAROS EUAE Integration Bounty Now Over $2080
« on: October 29, 2007, 01:24:12 AM »
After reading the bounty description I have a suggestion, why not change the title from "UAE integration" to "68k JIT"? At least when I read UAE the first thing that comes to mind is running some good ol' classic amiga games; but from the description I think the idea is that it works like OSX Rosetta by using the AROS api (instead of loading a legacy kickstart ROM) and recompiling on the fly 68k instructions to run application software. If people have in mind a window inside AROS running an ocs/ecs/aga virtual machine that can share the clipboard, CD-ROM, hard disk, ethernet, etc. maybe that should be called "UAE integration Phase II: Legacy Virtual Machine"

Offline little

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2007, 02:18:56 PM »
The first step would be an utility that creates/mounts adf/hfs files natively in AROS. :-)

Offline little

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2007, 07:01:32 PM »
I took the description to mean that yes, classic games should run

What part of it? The text uses the word "apps" once and "application" twice and mentions four application software programs by name, but there is not even one mention of the word "game" or a game name in the whole text. Maybe AROS developers also had games in mind, but then they should update the bounty page text.

Offline little

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2007, 07:16:26 PM »
I think application is being used as a general word meaning program

Does saying "Santa is going to get you some cool application software this christmas" sounds right to you? Unless said kid gets giddy thinking about the newest version of excel, it does not make sense if you are thinking about games.

After all the title says 'UAE Integration' - UAE runs Amiga 68k games.

Rosetta is an OSX integrator, but any games that talked directly to the hardware will fail (since Mac games are in color they seldom do that, quite the opposite of amiga games where games seldom do not talk directly to the hardware).

Offline little

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2007, 07:39:01 PM »
Remind me why you are being so pedantic again?

Because as more money is donated chances are that someone that has not read this board (or any amiga related board) in years might do this bounty and if people are thiking that reading minds is part of any software major then they are in for an unpleasent surprise.

Now stop being pedantic and donate some money!!!!

Now that technique of fundraising is new to me, what is next? beating me senseless with a Bill McEwen announcement and searching my pockets while I am defenseless? :-o

Offline little

• Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2007, 07:46:50 PM »
For Games, UAE Integration is pointless.

Hear, hear!

You probably think of double clicking an adf file and the game starts ?

More like "double clicking an adf file and it mounts so I can execute/install the application" since application software for the amiga was mostly distributed in floppies, hence the usefulness of an option to mount adf files as virtual floppies.