Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Speelgoedmannetje's music tip of the week  (Read 834 times)

Description:

Offline SpeelgoedmannetjeTopic starter

Speelgoedmannetje's music tip of the week
« on: November 27, 2004, 02:21:46 PM »
I was just listening some music, and I thought I'd share it with you all, so I start this thread (serie), if you like it :-)
This weeks tip is the album "Talking Timbuktu", released in 1994, by Ali Farka Touré and Ry Cooder. Ali Farka Touré is a blues singer from Mali, so this music is kinda a mixture of blues and traditional Malinese music.
What he actually sings, I do not know, but what I do know is that it swings as hell, well, it swings slowly, easy, but surely :-) The music has a very "tropical evening" sound.

I think the grammy award they got for this Album is well deserved.
And the canary said: \'chirp\'

Offline SpeelgoedmannetjeTopic starter

Re: Speelgoedmannetje's music tip of the week
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2004, 08:01:21 PM »
This weeks music tip is: "John Dowland - In Darkness Let Me Dwell".
John Dowland was an Englishman who lived from 1563 until 1626.
His songs are sung in English, while it was habit to sing in Latin in those times. The music is very slow, sad and continuous, the texts are like for instance: "Allied to death, child to his black faced night". The voice is tenor (quite high-tone male voice), and the instruments used are lute, double-bass, baroque violin, bass clarinet and soprano saxophone (<- and this latter is remarkable, I guess parts are rewritten for this instrument, since the saxophone is a 19th century invention, maybe they used a different unknown instrument in the original version)
And the canary said: \'chirp\'