Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: [Biology] Changes in breast milk consistency  (Read 1587 times)

Description:

Offline motorollinTopic starter

• Show only replies by motorollin
[Biology] Changes in breast milk consistency
« on: February 28, 2007, 08:58:47 PM »
My sister has a 5 month old baby and I was talking to her today about breast milk. She was telling me that the consistency of her milk changes as Harry's requirements change. How does this work? How does her body know to change the consistency? The only explanation I can think of is that the baby gives off pheremones signalling that it requires more protein/calcium/whatever, and the mother's body picks up on these pheremones and responds by adjusting the milk accordingly. Any experts care to comment?

--
moto
Code: [Select]
10  IT\'S THE FINAL COUNTDOWN
20  FOR C = 1 TO 2
30     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA
40     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAAA
50  NEXT C
60  NA-NA-NAAAA
70  NA-NA NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA NAAA-NAAAAAAAAAAA
80  GOTO 10

Offline X-ray

• Show only replies by X-ray
Re: [Biology] Changes in breast milk consistency
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2007, 09:14:21 PM »
Sure, I'll answer.
There's a small cluster of cells on the nipple, and these are sensitive to a certain type of enzyme secreted by the baby's uvula (that little thing that hangs in the back of your throat).
When the baby develops to the point where he can suck that nipple so hard that it touches his uvula, those enzymes touch the specialized nipple cells and trigger the breasts to produce thicker milk. At the same time the breasts firm up, which means that they don't get sucked so far into the baby's mouth anymore.
In fact this physiological phenomenon persists throughout the woman's life, and it is a closely guarded secret that most women take throat swabs from their sleeping husbands, and apply those to their nipples to delay the onset of Cooper's droop.

Offline motorollinTopic starter

• Show only replies by motorollin
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2007, 09:36:43 PM »
Thanks X-Ray, that's amazing :-) I'll suggest that technique to my sister and see what she says - though her husband is a vicar so I'm not sure he would approve :lol:

--
moto
Code: [Select]
10  IT\'S THE FINAL COUNTDOWN
20  FOR C = 1 TO 2
30     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA
40     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAAA
50  NEXT C
60  NA-NA-NAAAA
70  NA-NA NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA NAAA-NAAAAAAAAAAA
80  GOTO 10

Offline odin

• Colonization had Galleons
    • Show only replies by odin
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2007, 09:41:24 PM »
So..er...sucking breasts can prevent the (perceived) need for silicon? Must remember that for when I have girlfriend again  :-D.

Offline X-ray

• Show only replies by X-ray
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2007, 09:59:45 PM »
Well, it depends what she wants the silicon for. If she wants it to get bigger breasts, there is already a cheaper fix, as illustrated by this anecdote:

The husband and wife were in the bedroom, ready to retire for the night. The wife was gazing at her contours in the mirror.
"Honey," she said, "wouldn't you like it if I had bigger boobs?"
"Well, poodle-cakes," he said diplomatically, "I didn't marry you for your physical attributes, I married you because I love you"
The wife said "But what if I could have a boob job done for a reasonable price?"
"Oh," said the husband, "I wouldn't complain, but I must stress it isn't that much of a deal to me. How much is reasonable?"
"Eight thousand pounds," said the wife.
"Good lord," said the husband, "that is outrageously expensive. Anyway you can get bigger boobs for almost nothing. All you have to do is rub some toilet-paper between your breasts every morning and your breasts will soon get bigger."
"Don't be silly," said the wife, "that will never work."
"I reckon it will," said the husband, "after all it worked for your bum."

Offline Agafaster

• Show only replies by Agafaster
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2007, 04:41:20 PM »
top hole, X-ray!
hmm - is that throatswab thing proven to work ?
although its kind of a 'coals to Newcastle' situation for me as the missus is still breastfeeding our youngest.
\\"New Bruce here will be teaching Machiavelli, Bentham, Locke, Hobbes, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Lindwall, Miller, Hassett and Benaud.\\"
\\"Those are all cricketers, Bruce !\\"
A1XE G3/800MHz Radeon 7000 512MB
A1200 030/25MHz 8MB