Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Using an Amiga with OS4.1 for daily work.  (Read 1304 times)

Description:

Offline wawrzon

Re: Using an Amiga with OS4.1 for daily work.
« Reply #29 from previous page: May 13, 2016, 01:22:36 PM »
Quote from: Duce;808410

Modern Amiga platforms are no further ahead than they were in the A4000 era, with the exception of decent TCP stacks and USB support.

well, so far as modern platforms go, poseidon in combination with deneb was, and maybe still is, the more reliable usb solution than the one provided under os4 for several years.

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2016, 02:14:53 PM »
Quote from: broadblues;808334
Most of the DTP related apps I ever used on amigaos (which ever vintage) had Postscript print abilties, so does iBrowse IIRC and certainly the like of OWB do.

ImageFX can "print" to EPS, which is invaluable when used in combination with Wordworth as wordworth then passes the high quality EPS straight through, and does create it's own grayscale version.

I added this functionailty to print to PS / EPS Sketchblock to replicate that workfow, but you can also output direct to PDF via PIL. (Python Imaging Library)

AmigaOS has PS prnter driver that can also save psoscript direct to file, for printing from those apps that don't do postscript output themselves.

To convert to PDF simply use ghostscripts PDFWrite "device"

I've not yet come across a situation wher the version of PDF I *created* was important. I have couple of times come across PDFs from else where that the current OS4 versin of ghostscript doesn't work on. I used linux to sove that hickup.

I have a software that is designed to create all sort of documentation and there you explicitly define which PDF-Version and lots of other things, all important for letting something accurate print. I am not a professional graphician doing print so I cannot explain it more in detail. For homeuse it is not that important but this thread is about using it instead of PC for doing work.

Offline broadblues

« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2016, 03:16:30 PM »
@Duce

I'd get laughed out of the print shop if I took pdf's into being mass printed, lol.

So what format would you take you print shop? And what kind of shop / printing are you doing?

Offline AmigaOldskooler

• a.k.a Puni/Void
    • Show only replies by AmigaOldskooler
    • Old School Game Blog
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2016, 09:14:37 PM »
I second Mr. Overflow and would go for an Amiga 1200 with the Vampire II when its ready for the system. It will be a super-fast classic setup with thousands upon thousands of utilities, games, music and other stuff to explore.

Amiga only? It does depend on what one use a computer for. My impression is that many people use their systems for accessing Internet to use social media, browse sites, not so much other tasks. If you have a tablet (iPad, Android), this could be a good substitute for this. You can do most general Internet stuff on those things like banking, shopping, Facebook, Twitter etc. Then you can use your Amiga for creative computer stuff. :)

I actually feel more creative when in front of an Amiga, be it classic or the AmigaOS 4.1 variant. I'm most creative without access to the Internet, because the "net" tends to steal my focus and energy and drive me to various forums, eBay, news and vids on YouTube. ;) When I'm on the PC it is even worse, because there I got Steam lurking in the background!