Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Arix  (Read 18311 times)

Description:

Offline CritAnimeTopic starter

• Previous Life Time Member
    • Show only replies by CritAnime
Arix
« on: November 10, 2013, 03:40:02 PM »
http://www.arixfoundation.com/sample-page/

Arix Foundation Corp was founded in 2012 in the great state of Florida by eight partners, two Europeans and six Americans.  What drew the initial group of partners together was a long burning passion for a computer system designed in the 1980s called the Commodore Amiga.  After Commodore’s bankruptcy in 1994, a young group of coders believed they could create an open source version of their cherished OS and began coding in 1995.  It was under AROS which Arix Foundation Corp’s partners first met and worked to better the fledgling operating system called AROS.

The power of open source is what created and motivated many to contribute to AROS.  However, open source is a two edge sword, direction and control is minimal to non existent which hobbled development of a remarkable OS.  This is where the partners decided that a commercial fork of AROS had to happen in order to bring forth a truly modern OS that can compete in today’s marketplace.

Today, Arix Foundation Corp partners are still active with the AROS development as both groups will benefit from each others work to some degree.   Much like Apple’s relationship with open source community via Darwin.

The Arix Operating System was designed to be a simple, portable and low cost operating solution that brings the user back in control over their many devices.  Have you grown frustrated in having to buy multiple apps for you desktop and portable devices and they all slightly work differently with different setup or commands not too mention the cost of buying separate solutions for each device?  So have we and that is one of the driving aspects of designing and implementing Arix OS.  We knew there is a better way of managing the limited time you have away from work and the grind of daily living and to do it as economically as humanly possible. Our solution which is our passion, is Arix OS.

The Arix Operation System is unique on multiple levels being a virtual operating layer that is designed not only to be hearty standalone OS but also designed for living on top of your favorite desktop or portable device’s native Operating System.  Arix OS supports system multi processing environment with memory protection on multiple platforms from X86, X86_64, ARM, and PPC.   From a single core, to dual core to 16 or more cores, Arix OS is ready for the job.

For Arix OS 1.x series offers developers a unique capability of offering their application or games via our secure application store which they can target  the CPU arch (x86, ARM, or PPC) and not worry about individual computer system requirements.  Arix OS’ SDK is rich in porting tools for those who already have applications or games designed for Windows, Linux, Android, OS-X and Amiga OS.  Arix OS software engineers made every possible attempt to make porting to Arix as quick and painless as possible offering the software developer a whole new market to offer their wares to.
For Arix OS 2.x series has an aggressive target of universal environment for all CPU architects.  This means for developers writing/porting their code to Arix OS starting with the 2.x series, it’s a single target as it will run on all platforms supported by Arix OS.

Arix OS Hosted
Arix OS offers individuals that already are running their favorite OS the capability of running Arix OS on top of their current OS where will live in unison. Arix OS currently supports both 32 bit and 64 bit Windows, Linux, OS-X plus Android.  Best part of this is that it’s a free download for individuals.

Arix OS Native
Arix OS native offers a simple and fast solution for your computing needs. No other operating system is needed, Arix OS 64 bit will directly install on your x86 system as well as supported ARM and PPC systems.  You may purchase Arix OS native via our application store for a very reasonable price which includes basic support.

So a commercial fork of AROS. I wish them luck.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 03:42:05 PM by CritAnime »

Offline nicholas

Re: Arix
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2013, 04:08:36 PM »

It's much more than that.

Or so I hear anyway. ;)
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline EDanaII

• Show only replies by EDanaII
    • http://www.EdwardGDanaII.info
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2013, 05:10:38 PM »
I've been saying for years that open-source is it own worst enemy. :) I wish them well. If it is worthy, I'll certainly give it my time.
Ed.

Offline CritAnimeTopic starter

• Previous Life Time Member
    • Show only replies by CritAnime
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2013, 05:14:57 PM »
I have been critical of Dammy in the past, because of the CUSA stuff, however if this allows AROS to grow (and by grow I mean mature and get greater hw and sw support) then I do genuinely wish them luck. If they make a easy way of dual booting windows 8 with it, not through vm, then I would happily give it a shot.

Offline EDanaII

• Show only replies by EDanaII
    • http://www.EdwardGDanaII.info
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2013, 05:30:14 PM »
It should, in theory. My understanding is, and it may be faulty, is that it is AROS with the linux kernel at it's core. That should, at least, give them a wider range of drivers.

The tricky part for them is to make it commercially viable. If they can turn it into a profit, then they will have more time to devote to it and more time to make it better. Eventually, if it's successful enough, they can take it in the direction it should go.

That's the biggest obstacle to AROS right now. With no leadership, the only things devs can agree on is AmigaOS compatibility, and that, pretty much, keeps things locked in the past. Open Source can be it's own worst enemy.

But, to be fair, so can commercial enterprises. So, once again, I wish them well. I will be paying attention.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 05:31:21 PM by EDanaII »
Ed.

Offline Terminills

• Grand Conspirator
    • Show only replies by Terminills
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2013, 10:24:12 PM »
Quote from: EDanaII;752399
It should, in theory. My understanding is, and it may be faulty, is that it is AROS with the linux kernel at it's core. That should, at least, give them a wider range of drivers.

The tricky part for them is to make it commercially viable. If they can turn it into a profit, then they will have more time to devote to it and more time to make it better. Eventually, if it's successful enough, they can take it in the direction it should go.

Correct on both parts.   It's a wip and shall take time for everything to fall in to place the way it should.
Support AROS sponsor a developer.

edited by mod: this has been addressed

Offline ferrellsl

• DavidseltyAJ
    • Show only replies by ferrellsl
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2013, 10:37:43 PM »
Quote from: CritAnime;752382

Their sales model is a bit misleading.  This is AROS hosted on top of Linux and then they make of point of saying that they have a "hosted" version that runs on top of your current OS (Windows or Linux) and a "native" version which runs as a primary OS.  The native version/primary OS is, you guess it, AROS hosted on Linux.

The hosting of a hosted OS as it were.  This isn't offering us anything we don't already have thru IcarosDesktop, AEROS, or any of the other AROS variants, except a price tag.  Yawn.....
« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 11:16:33 PM by ferrellsl »

Offline haywirepc

• Show only replies by haywirepc
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2013, 10:49:26 PM »
Not Found, Error 404

What is the difference between this and aros hosted? different name, wallpaper and slightly different set of out of the box applications?

They would need to do an awful lot of actual coding to get anything to be different or meaningful. AROS doesn't need another distro with different wallpapers... But thats just one man's opinion.

Offline ferrellsl

• DavidseltyAJ
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2013, 11:12:32 PM »
Quote from: haywirepc;752430
Not Found, Error 404

What is the difference between this and aros hosted? different name, wallpaper and slightly different set of out of the box applications?

They would need to do an awful lot of actual coding to get anything to be different or meaningful. AROS doesn't need another distro with different wallpapers... But thats just one man's opinion.

I agree.  This just looks like another lame attempt to scam uninformed Amigans out of some cash. Nothing new here.

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2013, 11:27:05 PM »
Quote from: ferrellsl;752428
Their sales model is a bit misleading.  It's AROS hosted on top of Linux and then they make of point of saying that they have a hosted version that runs on top of your current OS (Windows or Linux) and a "native" version which runs as a primary OS.

The hosting of a hosted OS as it were.  This isn't offering us anything we don't already have thru IcarosDesktop, AEROS, or any of the other AROS variants, except a price tag.  Yawn.....

I could of course be wrong, but perhaps it's rather "merged" than hosted? I have for example seen references to Anubis, which speaks in favor of this.
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline ferrellsl

• DavidseltyAJ
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2013, 11:54:07 PM »
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;752433
I could of course be wrong, but perhaps it's rather "merged" than hosted? I have for example seen references to Anubis, which speaks in favor of this.

That's about as ridiculous as OS4 being "merged" with Linux, OSX or Windows.  This is Linux hosting AROS, nothing more, nothing less....except that they want you to pay money for it.

Offline agami

• Show only replies by agami
    • Twitter
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2013, 01:38:35 AM »
Quote from: ferrellsl;752439
... This is Linux hosting AROS, nothing more, nothing less....except that they want you to pay money for it.

Wow, cynical much?

I'd say at the very least, the hosted version runs on top of an existing distro with X11 and Desktop Environment i.e. KDE, Gnome, etc.
And the 'integrated' version runs without X11, and a Linux native Desktop Environment.
So it is different. Which in turn will be more AROS and less Linux.

I'm certainly happy to support them with a purchase of the native version. I agree with the commercial forking path.
---------------AGA Collection---------------
1) Amiga A4000 040 40MHz, Mediator PCI, Voodoo 3 3000, Creative PCI128, Fast Ethernet, Indivision AGA Mk2 CR, DVD/CD-RW, OS 3.9 BB2
2) Amiga A1200 040 25MHz, Indivision AGA Mk2 CR, IDEfix, PCMCIA WiFi, slim slot load DVD/CD-RW, OS 3.9 BB2
3) Amiga CD32 + SX1, OS 3.1

Offline ferrellsl

• DavidseltyAJ
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2013, 02:00:41 AM »
Quote from: agami;752447
Wow, cynical much?

I'd say at the very least, the hosted version runs on top of an existing distro with X11 and Desktop Environment i.e. KDE, Gnome, etc.
And the 'integrated' version runs without X11, and a Linux native Desktop Environment.
So it is different. Which in turn will be more AROS and less Linux.

I'm certainly happy to support them with a purchase of the native version. I agree with the commercial forking path.

You obviously don't know much about Linux or AROS to make such a comment.  The "native version" you're referring to and sold by these clowns is actually AROS hosted on Linux and not a "native" version of AROS in any sense of the term.  And Linux with or without the X Windows system is still Linux. So we're supposed pay these guys money for a version of Linux where they've removed X windows?   Wow, paying more for less makes so much sense! Or paying for Linux at all for that matter

Whether or not they've stripped X from this Linux distro or not, is immaterial, it's still Linux, which I can get for free. Or here's an idea, just get one of the many other hosted versions of AROS, with or without X for FREE!  Why the hell would I pay these clowns for something that's already free?!  But as PT Barnum once said, there's a sucker born every minute.  Your version of "different" is like saying Ubuntu is sooooo different from Lubuntu because Lubuntu uses LXDE and the other uses Unity for desktop management.....ugh......This is the same smoke-and-mirrors marketing used by the guy behind OpenOS4 and Anubis.  So go ahead and send your money...or better yet, send your money to me and I will send you a ton of download links for the many versions of AROS AND Linux.  What a bargain!
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 02:10:13 AM by ferrellsl »

Offline haywirepc

• Show only replies by haywirepc
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2013, 02:12:23 AM »
All of this thread is just speculation till we see it working. I think phoenixconsole did amazing work with AEROS... Running linux, windows amiga 68k AND amiga ng applications all pretty integrated.

Perhaps this will be just as capable. We should wait and see before we all pass judgement.

Offline ferrellsl

• DavidseltyAJ
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2013, 02:28:48 AM »
Quote from: haywirepc;752453
All of this thread is just speculation till we see it working. I think phoenixconsole did amazing work with AEROS... Running linux, windows amiga 68k AND amiga ng applications all pretty integrated.

Perhaps this will be just as capable. We should wait and see before we all pass judgement.

I'm not speculating about anything.  I'm referring to the smoke and mirrors marketing spin that came directly off their web site.  But they've taken it down now presumably because their smoke wasn't dense enough to obscure all the bullsh@t they're throwing around.