Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Natami 3D-artist Interview  (Read 10001 times)

Description:

Offline EDanaII

• Show all replies
    • http://www.EdwardGDanaII.info
Re: Natami 3D-artist Interview
« on: December 17, 2009, 12:58:00 AM »
What I find entertaining about this entire conversation is the notion of scope creep introduced by Piru. Don't get me wrong, I'm not claiming that Piru is wrong, but rather, I'm using this as an oppurtunity to talk about the _real Amiga curse._ :)

Remember, the Amiga was originally developed by a small group of people -- not hugely different from "a couple of guys in their basement." The Amiga was ultimately purchased by Commodore when it began to run out of funds. In other words, they too were a victim of "feature creep." After all, if they had limited the development to what was within their means, they could have released a much less advanced Amiga... probably not much more powerful than the Macintosh of that time.

Ultimately, that's what killed the Amiga was Commodore's failure to make the Amiga the best it could be, motivated in part by their need to keep their costs down by limiting scope creep. If they had aggressively pursued the Amiga's graphics capabilities and kept it well ahead of the competition, I'm willing to bet you the machine would be alive today as a viable alternative to the PC and the Mac.

Now, having said that, just like Piru, I'm skeptical. They have a tall hill to climb and a desire to make a better machine that can only make that hill taller. Yes, like Dennis, I'd limit the scope to what I could reasonabley achieve, but so what if they don't? As far as I know, only their own money is involved -- someone correct me if I'm wrong here -- so what does it matter how tall that hill is?

So, I'll continue to watch and wait and will be happy if they actually produce something. If they fail, the Amiga community will be no worse off than it was before...

But that's my two cents.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 12:59:30 AM by EDanaII »
Ed.

Offline EDanaII

• Show all replies
    • http://www.EdwardGDanaII.info
Re: Natami 3D-artist Interview
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2009, 02:02:14 AM »
Amen, Tomas, amen. Personally, I think that if they actually do produce something, it will be an interesting validation of the old Amiga architecture if it can outperform equivelant hardware. I doubt I'd buy it, unless the price and performance are reasonable.

@ Lou_Dias

I don't think anyone's "bashing the entire project." What I'm reading here is a lot of healthy skepticism, something Miggy-Land always needs.

@ JimS

I really didn't take the remark as disparaging. Hell, let's not forget that Apple started quite literally as two guys in a garage. :)
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 02:04:53 AM by EDanaII »
Ed.