Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Old Hard Drive Set Up  (Read 4274 times)

Description:

Offline dennisrcTopic starter

• Show all replies
Old Hard Drive Set Up
« on: December 05, 2010, 04:52:46 PM »
After years of sitting in cuboard, I have resarected my Amiga A1200HD, already I have had help to find lead to connect monitor, and at last re booted it to find it would not boot, I was suspitiouse that the floppy was faulty, i ordered and fitted it but first disconected hard drive, and was pleased to see it asked for disk, I reconected hard drive then found two new icons on screen refering I asume to hard drive SDH0:NDOS also SDH1:EiSo but will not boot from these, I have a £.1 install disk and have tried to use it but I just can't get to grips with it allI tried failled, can anyone point me in right direction be aware I'm no expert so be gentle this machine I waited ages for as it was the one Escom produced after big shock of crash
thanks Dennis

• Show all replies
Re: Old Hard Drive Set Up
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2010, 08:14:49 PM »
Hi Franco you are certainaly right about trash the hard drive, going back to the time I finally put it away (couldn't bring myself to scrap it) I half remember fa fault on it and I ended up formatig drive to start again, but it didn;t boot at all, had a feeling since I got it back out that fault was due to floppy so I replaced it and now it goots to workbenchoff floppy I have all disks you  mentioned, and I tried to remove and re partition but I didn't quite understand what it was doing it seemed to be split in two with half dense black other half fine cross patern can only judge on pc H/D when you can make one big partition, think its too late to save files now I just would like to boot straight from H/D I apreciate your quick response
Dennis

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2010, 08:23:48 PM »
Thanks motrucker for reply it now boots ok from floppy to work bench 3.1, just think I made mistake right back in time when I put it away I blamed H/D insted of floppy ( I'm still thick guess thats my age now 72)

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 02:19:28 PM »
thanks again for you help, i now have two hard drive icons the none doss has gone, but can't now find a way to reload workbench 3.1, now when I try to load "Install 3.1" it just keeps re cycling and I have to do a reboot to stop it , I tried to drag workbench  to H/D but that also wont workthe Insall 3.1 worked ok first time I tried it
Dennis

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2010, 06:40:51 PM »
Sorry Thomas but you have lost me, this is first time I have tried to use this computer since around 1996 about 8 months after Escom re released this comp  I have now, and Im green to what more has developed since and I have no idea what 68060 accelorator is
Thanks Dennis

• Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2010, 12:33:55 PM »
Hi Tension was hidding from the rent man, only came out after dark, don't tell anyone, just our secret

• Show all replies
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2010, 12:49:06 PM »
Hi mototrucker, i do not have expantion in my A 1200, but have one I hope to put in latter, and my install disk worked fine day before but I just could not configure how to use it after advise from youI tried to format H/D but I did it with format option on W?B 3.1 and was pleased to see that now at least my hard drive was reconised just need now to load W/B3.1 onto H/D, but like I said Install sstarts to load an just continues to cycle, just hope i havn't corrupted it as noticed that writ protect was not sellected on floppy

• Show all replies
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2010, 12:57:23 PM »
Hi Actung bab thanks for your offer, this computtere has sentimentl value for me and I would love it to once again fire up I long ago thought It would never ride again but thanks to this site and its members I really see hope again, as i just said to motortrucker I may have corrupted my Install disk when I ussed it day before as I didn't notice the write protect was not on floppy
thanks Dennis

• Show all replies
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2010, 06:36:43 PM »
mototrucker I live in coventry UK I dont know if I can post my address on this site but I would be grateful if you could send a coppyreally mad with myself as I should have known better tan to use disk unprotected, but Im sure my H/D is ok
Dennis