Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: dosbox for amiga 68k?  (Read 26152 times)

Description:

Offline NovaCoder

Re: dosbox for amiga 68k?
« Reply #74 from previous page: February 08, 2013, 05:42:15 AM »
I'm only hoping to reach 386sx speed on my A1200, in other words fast enough to be able play great games like Wing Commander 2, X-Wing, Ultima Underworld etc.  

Obviously if it ever got up to 486 speeds on real hardware then that would be awesome but it's way too early to tell at this stage.
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
« Reply #75 on: February 08, 2013, 05:46:11 AM »
Quote from: NovaCoder;725774
I'm only hoping to reach 386sx speed on my A1200, in other words fast enough to be able play great games like Wing Commander 2, X-Wing, Ultima Underworld etc.  

Obviously if it ever got up to 486 speeds on real hardware then that would be awesome but it's way too early to tell at this stage.

Ultima Underworld would be and accomplishment and well worth the effort. Now that I am drooling for! :)
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show only replies by fishy_fiz
« Reply #76 on: February 08, 2013, 07:00:28 AM »
Dosbox is somewhat slower than pc-task, so Id be surprised if you reached even "high end" 286 speed even on the fastest of '060's. Remember that even sam boards struggle to perform at low-mid spec 386 speed.
Running my 68k/os3.x Dosbox under amithlon on a core2duo @ 3.86ghz gives roughly mid spec 486 speed, so being that my amithlon box is probably 100x as fast as the fastest '060.......  :)

Absolutely no chance of running running Win98 or ME. In theory 98 can be installed, but it'll be slow as all heck. ME simply wont work. The only amiga-oid system capable of running 98 at a usable speed is x86 aros both because the speed of the hardware its running on, and because of the Dosbox code paths (and maturity of those code paths) avaiable to it.
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline Xanxi

• Show only replies by Xanxi
« Reply #77 on: February 08, 2013, 08:58:47 AM »
Yeah it would be a huge work to do better than PC-Task v4.4 with DosBox. PC-Task emulates a 486 but on a 68060@50MHz and a lot of RAM it performs just a bit faster than the Commodore A2286, which is not bad.
10 Classic Amiga Computers so far: I have too many computers!!

Offline haywirepcTopic starter

• Show only replies by haywirepc
« Reply #78 on: February 08, 2013, 10:46:01 AM »
I still have huge amounts of dos games on my linux system. Someday I'll have time to move them over to my aros box, but most of my hobby computer time is spent on linux these days.

Congrats to novacoder for even attempting porting dosbox. I never tried pc-task but I know its a bit more complicated to setup I've heard. I already know how to use dosbox quite well on my windows and linux box... Couldn't be simpler.

Offline spirantho

« Reply #79 on: February 08, 2013, 11:02:17 AM »
PC-Task is very easy to set up. The only vaguely complicated bit is that you have to choose the best Amiga screenmodes for the PC modes, and that's simple.

I'd be very impressed if DOSbox gets more than a 286 speed, myself. Ultima Underworld would be a heck of an achievement - I wouldn't hold your breath on that one. :) Remember an A1200 is only 50MHz at most, and RAM speed isn't particularly fast - and when it comes to emulation CPU speed and RAM speed are both very important.
--
Ian Gledhill
ian.gledhill@btinternit.com (except it should be internEt of course...!)
Check out my shop! http://www.mutant-caterpillar.co.uk/shop/ - for 8-bit (and soon 16-bit) goodness!

Offline fishy_fiz

« Reply #80 on: February 08, 2013, 11:30:29 AM »
For those wanting to run Ultima Underworld on their classic amiga perhaps tsshp (open source project for running ultima underworld and system shock) would give better performance than running it emulated. Having said that though Im not sure how "complete" it is.

Despite this I am looking forward to DosBox AGA still and wish Novacoder all the best with it. After having worked on DosBox a little here and there for the last 5 years though I think I have a pretty good idea of what of expect from it, hence my expectation posted in my last post (thought I should back peddle a little as I didnt mean to, nor want to sound negative).
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline NovaCoder

« Reply #81 on: February 08, 2013, 11:52:18 AM »

PCTask is very old, we need something more modern for our 20 year old machines ;)

As to the performance, we'll see what we can do.....
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #82 on: February 08, 2013, 12:11:12 PM »
Quote from: fishy_fiz;725796
For those wanting to run Ultima Underworld on their classic amiga perhaps tsshp (open source project for running ultima underworld and system shock) would give better performance than running it emulated. Having said that though Im not sure how "complete" it is.

Despite this I am looking forward to DosBox AGA still and wish Novacoder all the best with it. After having worked on DosBox a little here and there for the last 5 years though I think I have a pretty good idea of what of expect from it, hence my expectation posted in my last post (thought I should back peddle a little as I didnt mean to, nor want to sound negative).

Fishy! Long time no see man! :)
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline fishy_fiz

« Reply #83 on: February 08, 2013, 01:37:57 PM »
@XDelusion

Howdy :)
Yeah, I had a bit of a break from all things amiga (real life gets in the way sometimes), and stopped using amiga.org for a while once I came back 'cos it got a bit too "vs." for my tastes. Seems to have mellowed a little now though thankfully (touch wood) so I'll probably be around a bit more from now on.
Cant wait until I finish my (very behind schedule) 68k installer for x86 aros, 'cos I'm itching to do some more stuff for aros and 68k amiga.
Novacoder has inspired me :)

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #84 on: February 08, 2013, 05:50:39 PM »
Quote from: fishy_fiz;725801
@XDelusion

Howdy :)
Yeah, I had a bit of a break from all things amiga (real life gets in the way sometimes), and stopped using amiga.org for a while once I came back 'cos it got a bit too "vs." for my tastes. Seems to have mellowed a little now though thankfully (touch wood) so I'll probably be around a bit more from now on.
Cant wait until I finish my (very behind schedule) 68k installer for x86 aros, 'cos I'm itching to do some more stuff for aros and 68k amiga.
Novacoder has inspired me :)

I know the feeling, what ever happened to a little healthy trolling just for fun's sake? Everyone gets so hateful and serious when they troll anymore, gives trolls a bad rap, and bridges too for that matter! :)

Glad to see you back around, I've been wondering if you had any new top secret projects going on, and have still been using your old ones (DosBOX on AROS to be exact).

Nova does have a way of inspiring doesn't he? :)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 03:49:56 PM by XDelusion »

Offline NovaCoder

« Reply #85 on: February 14, 2013, 10:16:44 AM »
DosBox AGA

I've always wanted to play this on my A1200.

;)
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!

Offline NovaCoder

« Reply #86 on: June 01, 2013, 12:26:34 AM »
This port is now DOA :(

Unfortunately I discovered without some specialized ASM skills (which I lack) it would never be much use on real hardware because it's so friggen demanding!

I did spend a few months working with Matt Hey trying to get an ASM 68k softcore working but we never quite got there unfortunately.

Rather than simply throw away the months of work that I spent porting and optimizing this emulator, I thought I'd upload it so people can see what could have been (using WinUAE).

I've included the full source code so maybe someone will do something good with it.

It is compiled for 060 but seems to run ok if you set WinUAE to 030 + FPU.

Oh well, can't win them all...........  

[youtube]FuXmfMuFJrc[/youtube]
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 05:50:22 AM by NovaCoder »
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!

Offline amiman99

« Reply #87 on: June 01, 2013, 01:23:25 AM »
@NovaCoder
How is your port of DosBox compare with PCTask?
A500 KS 2.1, 1MB Chip, 68000
A600 KS 3.1, 2MB Chip, ACA630 32MB RAM
A1000 KS 1.3, 8MB RAM
A1200 KS 3.1, Blizzard IV 50MHz 64MB RAM
A2000 KS 2.1, 68030 25MHz, 6MB RAM
A3000 KS 3.1, 68030 25MHz, 16MB RAM
A4000 KS 3.0, 68040 25MHz, 16MB RAM
CDTV KS 3.1, 4MB RAM
CD32
(AROS BOX) Dead :(

Offline AmigaClassicRule

• Show only replies by AmigaClassicRule
« Reply #88 on: June 01, 2013, 01:27:29 AM »
Quote from: NovaCoder;736522
As some people know, one of my projects was to bring the current version of DosBox over to AGA 68k (nothing like a challenge and I managed ok with my ScummVM ports)
Unfortunately I discovered without some specialized ASM skills (which I lack) it would never be much use on real hardware because it's so friggen demanding
I did spend a few months working with Matt Hey trying to get an ASM 68k softcore working but we never quite got there unfortunately, read all about it in the links section below.
Rather than simply throw away the months of work that I spent porting and optimizing this emulator, I thought I'd upload it so people can see what could have been (using WinUAE).

I've included the full source code so maybe someone will do something good with it.
It is compiled for 060 but seems to run ok if you set WinUAE to 030 + FPU.

Oh well, can't win them all...........  

[youtube]FuXmfMuFJrc[/youtube]

Any idea how much RAM I need to run DOSBox?

Offline NovaCoder

« Reply #89 on: June 01, 2013, 01:52:22 AM »
Quote from: amiman99;736523
@NovaCoder
How is your port of DosBox compare with PCTask?

Slower ;)

DOSBox is a better choice for gaming, it would have been cool if it was fast enough on real hardware.

I'd say because the program itself is over 20MB you'd need to configure UAE to at least 64MB
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!