Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Win-98SE memory problems  (Read 2211 times)

Description:

Offline orange

• Show only replies by orange
Re: Win-98SE memory problems
« Reply #14 from previous page: November 05, 2006, 05:13:47 PM »
actually I think that win98 is much better choice than XP , if you do not have any firewall/updates at all..
Better sorry than worry.

Offline InTheSand

• Show only replies by InTheSand
    • http://www.ali.geek.nz
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2006, 06:31:31 PM »
DaBest wrote:
Ditch win98se.

Couldn't agree more!!!

XP is the way to go. Save yourself some trouble and spend a bit of money. XP isn't that expensive to buy.

XP's expensive enough!

To the original poster: if the PC in question has a reasonable amount of RAM as suggested above, and it's just being used for online poker, why not install Linux for $0.00 and give that a go?

Check out Ubuntu, then take a look at Easy Ubuntu to install stuff like the Flash plugin, Java plugin, multimedia stuff, etc.

- Ali

Offline Frags

• Show only replies by Frags
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2006, 07:22:43 PM »
My win2000 pc has no protection and I`ve had no malware at all. This talk of machines being infested within minutes is nonsense in my experience.  
-insert clever profundity here-

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2006, 07:42:48 PM »
xp is less than £60 if you buy the OEM version, all you have to do is buy a cheap mouse or something like than, look on scan on ebuyer
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2006, 07:48:07 PM »
@ frags

From experience a few years agoa did fresh install of win2k, no protection, connected to do updates, within mins, machine slowed right down, and the internet conenction was completley choked, machine was crawling with spyware etc...

Its not a myth, and if its not happened to you, then you have been very fortunate
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2006, 08:06:58 PM »

Frags wrote:
My win2000 pc has no protection and I`ve had no malware at all. This talk of machines being infested within minutes is nonsense in my experience.  

You have to go online first ;-)
int p; // A

Offline Frags

• Show only replies by Frags
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2006, 11:07:20 PM »
Just lucky I guess - I never get spam either!
-insert clever profundity here-

Offline KThunder

• Show only replies by KThunder
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2006, 11:36:56 PM »
i am typing this on a win98se machine right now, about 6months after an install with fireware and router.
my firewall reports 724 intrusion attempts none high rated. spyware blocker is run regularly and usually finds very little.
if it does what you need it to why replace it.

reinstall and get a firewall, antivirus, and spyware blocker.
Oh yeah?!?
Well your stupid bit is set,
and its read only!
(my best geek putdown)

Offline DaBest

• Show only replies by DaBest
    • http://www.fennecadventures.com
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2006, 12:07:28 AM »
"You have to go online first  ;-) "

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

No kidding.......
 :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
\\"Keep it simple STUPID\\"
                    \\" Keep ur AMIGA\\"
:whack:

A4000/040  Desk Top is Back up and running :rtfm:
Picasso4, X-Surf2, 1.2 GIG HD, 24x10x40 CDR, OS3.9,18 MGS of RAM

Offline Dr_Righteous

• Show only replies by Dr_Righteous
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2006, 03:17:43 AM »
What sort of hardware is this machine running? I've had seriously poor results running Win98SE on anything more modern than a 1GHz Athlon. All kinds of unexplained crashing, even with all the proper drivers.

Win2k is a far better OS than any other Windoze flavor IMHO, tho I wouldn't recomend using less than 128MB of RAM... Certainly no less than 512MB with XP.

And of course given your dislike of Windoze in general, you could try a small Linux package (Unbuntu, Linspire, Gentoo, Mandriva, etc.), all of which carry a nice stable version of FireFox for your poker game.
- Doc

A4000D, A3640 OC-36.3MHz, custom tower, Mediator A4000D. Diamond Banshee 16M, Indivision AGA 4000, GVP HC+8.

Mac Mini 1.5GHz, that might run MorphOS someday, when the fools who own it come to the realization that 30 minutes just isn\'t enough time to play with it enough to decide whether or not you like it enough to cough up $200.

- Someone please design SOME kind of DIY accelerator for the A4000. :D -

Offline LoadWB

• Show only replies by LoadWB
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2006, 03:28:49 AM »
Frags wrote:

Put it online with a public IP address and you'll be splotched in no time.  There are numerous holes still open in Windows 2000 that do not require user intervention.

While many people love Windows 2000, it is unsupported, unprotected, and unsafe.  While not perfect, Windows XP is much better.  If you're taking a Win2k machine online, you should be running some kind of Internet security suite with firewall, antivirus, and antispyware.

If you're going to sunbathe nekkid, at least use sunblock :-)

Offline Waccoon

• Show only replies by Waccoon
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2006, 06:19:27 AM »
I'm very familiar with Win98 memory issues.  I used to have big problems with the display pausing for a couple seconds while playing games, but everything kept running in the background.  Not a good situation when playing racing games.

I'd suggest following Blobrana's advice.  If you're running a freshly installed system and having slowdown issues, it's usually related to memory management or a bad driver.

Do you know what chipset is used in your motherboard?  You may be able to get an updated chipset driver.  Bad drivers will cripple any OS.

Now for the rant...

@Frags:  I agree 100%.  I've used Windows since 1995 and have never had a virus, malware, spamware, or any of that crap.  I have a router with a NAT, and that's it.  It's not a miracle.  It's called common sense.  I fix computers all the time, and systems bloated with viruses always have garbage like CometCursor, AOL, Weatherbug, and something that has "Jukebox" in its name.  That tells me those peope are compulsive downloaders.  If you only use a system for poker, then you don't need any toolbars, "tune-up" programs, or any other such crap.

Ironicly, Norton Antivirus deleted my entire e-mail archive about 3 months after I installed it in 2001.  I never used any anti-virus ever again.  Also, that was on my Win2000 system, which I hadn't re-installed until two months ago when I updated to XP.

If you have a router, the only way I know of for a virus to get on your system without you explicitly downloading something is through an ActiveX control.  You have two options.  In IE, go to the Tools menu, select Internet Options -> Security -> Custom Level, and then set "Download signed ActiveX controls" to "Prompt".  The other option is to use Firefox or Opera.  However, I have come across a few web sites that requested that I install some XPI plugins to view the site.  Don't ever do that.  Even Firefox is not 100% immune to malware.

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2006, 12:12:08 PM »
@ Wacoon

I agree with what you are saying.  A router with a hardware firewall is a must.

But if you just connect a win2k or below directly to the internet through a modem, with no software firewall etc... you will have problems very very quickly.

Add your computer to the DMZ in your router and see what happens  :lol: