Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Vista network issues (fixed)  (Read 1827 times)

Description:

Offline KarlosTopic starter

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
Vista network issues (fixed)
« on: December 31, 2009, 06:43:05 PM »
It seems that Windows Vista (home premium x64 version) has today decided that my PC isn't connected to any network at all. Which is pretty bizarre as Linux (from which I'm posting) on exactly the same box has no issues whatsoever.

I've no idea what has brought this problem on but it's pretty evident that it isn't any sort of hardware failure or I wouldn't be posting from the machine right now. Link lights are up at both ends of the cable, yet Vista's (diabolical) network diagnostic tool doesn't even think there is a cable attached :lol:

Since it used to work fine until a few days ago, I can only assume some configuration or driver has changed. The device manager insists the two realtek gigabit NIC's are both working just fine (which they most assuredly are anyway).

I'm wondering if a recent "update" has borked something in a configuration file somewhere. Anybody else experiencing sudden network issues with vista?
int p; // A

Offline Zac67

• Show only replies by Zac67
Re: Vista network issues
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2009, 08:17:35 PM »
Tried deleting and re-installing the NICs? Usually that resets all weird custom settings, even the invisible ones. Any services borked?

Offline ElPolloDiabl

• Show only replies by ElPolloDiabl
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2009, 08:20:10 PM »
I had the same problem when I tried to set up wireless network. It would connect to the cable modem but not the router.

I'd suggest a reinstall and make sure you note down all your connections so they don't interfere with each other. I have really have no idea where the problem lies.
Go Go Gadget Signature!

Offline adolescent

• Show only replies by adolescent
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2009, 08:46:23 PM »
A long-shot but do you have VMWare Workstation or Server installed?  I have similar problems sometimes with the virtual network drivers.  A disconnect/reconnect won't fix it, etc.  Fix for me is to disable the appropriate services and the virtual network devices.
Time to move on.  Bye Amiga.org.  :(

Offline KarlosTopic starter

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2009, 08:48:56 PM »
Thanks for the replies.

The problem is now fixed but it was a pretty laborious process to diagnose. Luckily I had GadgetMaster on the end of phone, since my windows expertise pretty much stops with Windows 2000 :)

For some unknown reason, the windows drivers went a bit awry. They'd lie to the device manager that all was well but in fact they'd literally shut down the NIC. And by shut down, I mean totally, to the extent that a reboot didn't reset them, even if you went into the BIOS and tried a LAN check, it couldn't detect a link. The link would simply stay down, even when the machine was powered off. Whatever Vista did to it was only fixed by rebooting into Linux or by powering down the system and disconnecting it from the mains supply. As soon as Vista started booting again, the link would go down again and wouldn't come up until you rebooted into linux once again.

We tried doing a system restore to the point prior to the last windows update, but alas that didn't fix the issue.

So, we tried rolling back the NIC drivers and as if by magic, the problem was solved, though quite bizzarely, the "older" drivers had a more recent publishing date.

It gets a bit stranger here since I decided to "undo" the earlier system restore, with the intent of getting it back up to date in every other respect, expecting the LAN connection to fail again and fix it by rolling back just the NIC driver. However, that last bit hasn't seemed necessary this time.

I can only assume it wasn't the driver per se that was at fault but some how an associated configuration file got damaged.

Windows, eh? :)
int p; // A

Offline Homer

• Show only replies by Homer
    • http://www.graingerweb.net
Re: Vista network issues (fixed)
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2010, 09:49:05 AM »
Sounds like you got "Updated" there Karlos :laughing:
Let X = X
{(c) Laurie Anderson}