Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: *WARNING* Let's port OS4 to $machine type thread  (Read 3686 times)

Description:

Offline pierre

• Show all replies
Re: *WARNING* Let's port OS4 to $machine type thread
« on: September 14, 2006, 05:47:48 PM »
what does amigaOS have the linux can't do better?  
amigaOS was based on unix anyway, the open source community is cool and free!  What exactly would the point of OS4 or OS5 be today?  I think I will contine to run classic amiga OS on my classic hardware for fun, but I seriously doubt I will be able to leave linux for the next amigaOS. I'm not sure the world needs/want OS5 (or OS4).  We already have morphOS and linux thats more than I ever got from commodore or amiga inc...
still like my old amigas and back in 86 amigaOS was way cool, but times have changed and amigaOS has not.  Now I feel the energy to work on a new "closed source OS" is a waist of time.

Offline pierre

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2006, 07:56:20 PM »
BTW amiga does not have a cohesive, single, user interface experience, there is MUI, classAct and a bunch of other widget tools kits floating around on the amiga platform, MUI being the one you have to pay for, preventing software from running if you don't have it.  Can't think of anything that whack on linux right now...  
"too much choice in the core things that should really be not up for change"
hehe, you ARE a mac guy... that's fine.
(can't say I'm huge fan of OSX... BSD is better if you ask me. OSX adds fluff....)

Can OS5 be better than linux or mac OSX? What would it bring to the table?

Offline pierre

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2006, 08:15:50 PM »
No OS4/OS5 required to have a blast!  Yep it's 2006!

Offline pierre

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2006, 10:01:35 PM »
yeah, I just wonder what OS 5 will bring to the party.  Nowadays inovation is differnt back in the 80's and 90' it was easy to improve as things where so lacking but nowadays I feel like we have evolved things to a very usable level, inovation now is much more subtle. Linux is a great example as so many people are developing it, it appears imposible to compeat with such a fast evloving platform with just a few coders working over at a.inc? (don't actualy know the size of the team or location... could be in india for all I know about OS5.)