Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: *WARNING* Let's port OS4 to $machine type thread  (Read 3691 times)

Description:

Offline DonnyEMU

• Show all replies
    • http://blog.donburnett.com
Re: *WARNING* Let's port OS4 to $machine type thread
« on: September 14, 2006, 08:13:08 PM »
>Guys, what u don't understand is that Xbox 360 and wii >have custom processors (xbox'es is 3-core which is a >problem) based on the PPC instruction sets, NOT real, off->the-shelf PPC cpus.

You guys aren't keeping up with the times.If I were gonna start porting an Amiga type OS to the XBox 360 I would probably start doing it using Microsoft's new XNA Game Studio Express Development environment.

XNA Game Studio Express enables individuals and small teams to more easily create video games (and maybe OS ports) using new, optimized cross-platform gaming libraries for Windows and Xbox 360.

The current beta release targets the development of games for Windows. The final version of XNA Game Studio Express will be available this holiday season and will enable development of games which target Windows and upon purchase of a XNA Creators Club subscription, the Xbox 360 as well.

Considering now that Microsoft has opened up the Xbox 360 and the PC with this set of tools to the more broad non-professional market with a professional set of tools. It would be easy to take advantage of this and port AROS or AmigaOS over to this environment because the development tools are free and offer a lot of the built in multimedia stuff an Amiga type OS is built for.

Personally I'd rather just spend the time writing free games on it, because they opened this up to everyone and anyone can now create an XBOX 360 game. I believe we'll have a whole new crop of console game developers pushing limits.. And since the games work on the PC too, that's killer.

Microsoft XNA Game Studio Express

PS XNA is on it's way to replacing DirectX..

PSS You might want to check out what Garage Games is doing too.. Garage Games and XNA

I am expecting someone to trash me for writing this post. I hope the community is open enough not to. I think was jumpstarted the Amiga community is small developers writing games. We have to attract them today as well. Unfortunately this product is really where we should be with this whole thing. Tapping into new developers. If you can't beat em, join em before it's too late and they have all the marbles.
======================================
Don Burnett Developer
http://blog.donburnett.com
don@donburnett.com
======================================