Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: *WARNING* Let's port OS4 to $machine type thread  (Read 3664 times)

Description:

Offline Jethro_TullTopic starter

• Show only replies by Jethro_Tull
Re: *WARNING* Let's port OS4 to $machine type thread
« Reply #14 from previous page: September 14, 2006, 02:07:47 PM »
@justthatgood & @chiark

Couldn't agree more! I think porting OS4 to Wii is a good option in the light of the current situation.  The Friedens have repeated that a port to X86 architecture is out of the question.  

Of course, Amiga Inc. could use the buy-back clause and give someone else the task of porting OS4, but it certainly won't be trivial, and at the rate things have been going lately, X86 and humainity as a whole will be obsolete by the time it's released.  

Therefore, an OS4 port to an existing PPC platform is currently the most realistic, less problematic option we have. The cheapest, most readily available PPC platform will shortly be the Wii, so it's simple logical to port OS4 to it.

Now, to make obtaining a licence from Nintendo less complicated, and the product more appealing, rather then sell OS4 for Wii on it's own as yet another operating system, I would use it as a platform to run some Amiga classics under EUAE.  In effect, smuggle OS4 in an Amiga  retro classics DVD.  

The package would boot into the OS4 Workbench desktop to give the 'player' an authentic Amiga feel and experience, and represent the EUAE games as icons on the workbench screen.  But of course there'll be much more to OS4 then just running the games!  Extra games and applications to use OS4 to the full would be made available on the Internet in an e-shop managed by Hyperion and/or Amiga Inc.

Cheerio

Offline TheMagicM

• Show only replies by TheMagicM
    • http://www.BartonekDragRacing.com
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2006, 02:07:56 PM »
smartest thing is to port to x86.  The Wii is a good idea also but through the years of C=/Amiga Inc..how many times has a "good idea" been used?  lol
PowerMac G5 dual 2.0ghz/128meg Radeon/500gb HD/2GB RAM, MorphOS 3.9 registered, user #1900
Powerbook G4 5,6 1.67ghz/2gb RAM, Radeon 9700/250gb hd, MorphOS 3.9 registered #3143

Offline Louis Dias

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2006, 05:36:26 PM »
@Wayne,

What say you revive my "Potential PPC Amiga real cheap" thread?

Offline pierre

• Show only replies by pierre
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2006, 05:47:48 PM »
what does amigaOS have the linux can't do better?  
amigaOS was based on unix anyway, the open source community is cool and free!  What exactly would the point of OS4 or OS5 be today?  I think I will contine to run classic amiga OS on my classic hardware for fun, but I seriously doubt I will be able to leave linux for the next amigaOS. I'm not sure the world needs/want OS5 (or OS4).  We already have morphOS and linux thats more than I ever got from commodore or amiga inc...
still like my old amigas and back in 86 amigaOS was way cool, but times have changed and amigaOS has not.  Now I feel the energy to work on a new "closed source OS" is a waist of time.

Offline chiark

• Show only replies by chiark
    • http://www.chiark.com
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2006, 07:46:42 PM »
what does amigaOS have the linux can't do better

a cohesive, single, user interface experience?  The Gnome/KDE wars/choices still depresses me, and IMHO that sums up Linux's problem: too much choice in the core things that should really be not up for change :-)

"What could AmigaOS have that MacOS doesn't do exceptionally well" is an interesting question.

Celebrating 21... no, make that 27... years of Amiga use

Offline pierre

« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2006, 07:56:20 PM »
BTW amiga does not have a cohesive, single, user interface experience, there is MUI, classAct and a bunch of other widget tools kits floating around on the amiga platform, MUI being the one you have to pay for, preventing software from running if you don't have it.  Can't think of anything that whack on linux right now...  
"too much choice in the core things that should really be not up for change"
hehe, you ARE a mac guy... that's fine.
(can't say I'm huge fan of OSX... BSD is better if you ask me. OSX adds fluff....)

Can OS5 be better than linux or mac OSX? What would it bring to the table?

Offline DonnyEMU

• Show only replies by DonnyEMU
    • http://blog.donburnett.com
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2006, 08:13:08 PM »
>Guys, what u don't understand is that Xbox 360 and wii >have custom processors (xbox'es is 3-core which is a >problem) based on the PPC instruction sets, NOT real, off->the-shelf PPC cpus.

You guys aren't keeping up with the times.If I were gonna start porting an Amiga type OS to the XBox 360 I would probably start doing it using Microsoft's new XNA Game Studio Express Development environment.

XNA Game Studio Express enables individuals and small teams to more easily create video games (and maybe OS ports) using new, optimized cross-platform gaming libraries for Windows and Xbox 360.

The current beta release targets the development of games for Windows. The final version of XNA Game Studio Express will be available this holiday season and will enable development of games which target Windows and upon purchase of a XNA Creators Club subscription, the Xbox 360 as well.

Considering now that Microsoft has opened up the Xbox 360 and the PC with this set of tools to the more broad non-professional market with a professional set of tools. It would be easy to take advantage of this and port AROS or AmigaOS over to this environment because the development tools are free and offer a lot of the built in multimedia stuff an Amiga type OS is built for.

Personally I'd rather just spend the time writing free games on it, because they opened this up to everyone and anyone can now create an XBOX 360 game. I believe we'll have a whole new crop of console game developers pushing limits.. And since the games work on the PC too, that's killer.

Microsoft XNA Game Studio Express

PS XNA is on it's way to replacing DirectX..

PSS You might want to check out what Garage Games is doing too.. Garage Games and XNA

I am expecting someone to trash me for writing this post. I hope the community is open enough not to. I think was jumpstarted the Amiga community is small developers writing games. We have to attract them today as well. Unfortunately this product is really where we should be with this whole thing. Tapping into new developers. If you can't beat em, join em before it's too late and they have all the marbles.
======================================
Don Burnett Developer
http://blog.donburnett.com
don@donburnett.com
======================================

Offline pierre

« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2006, 08:15:50 PM »
No OS4/OS5 required to have a blast!  Yep it's 2006!

Offline chiark

• Show only replies by chiark
    • http://www.chiark.com
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2006, 09:49:42 PM »

BTW amiga does not have a cohesive, single, user interface experience, there is MUI, classAct and a bunch of other widget tools kits floating around on the amiga platform, MUI being the one you have to pay for, preventing software from running if you don't have it.  Can't think of anything that whack on linux right now...

True, but I'd sincerely hope that OS4 has that covered, otherwise they might just as well rethink it now.  MUI was partly addressing issues arising from having a core OS that was designed to run on a low memory, low power device - 7 years is an eternity in computing when you go from 512kb/floppy disk to machines with new generation processors, considerably more memory and hard drives...  I'd hope that the core of the OS is written in a way that things can be integrated more easily into the OS as time goes on in an evolutionary way rather than revolutionary way.

hehe, you ARE a mac guy... that's fine.

Nope, I don't own a mac - my main computing is done on XP - but I do firmly believe there's some things that are interchangeable, and others shouldn't be.  Again, evolution of a platform, not revolution :-) .  The MUI/etc situation on the amiga was something bourne of a need.  A platform should be cohesive and not require the user to choose which environment add-on to run in order to get software to work.

(can't say I'm huge fan of OSX... BSD is better if you ask me. OSX adds fluff....)

It's that fluff that gives the appeal tho, and the sparkle - it's what made the amiga special in some ways.

Can OS5 be better than linux or mac OSX? What would it bring to the table?

Competition.  Fresh ideas.  A different viewpoint.  I wish I knew what it was bringing to the table, but they'd better have some good ideas otherwise they might as well give up.  They will know what they're up against...

Fun debate this :)
Celebrating 21... no, make that 27... years of Amiga use

Offline pierre

« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2006, 10:01:35 PM »
yeah, I just wonder what OS 5 will bring to the party.  Nowadays inovation is differnt back in the 80's and 90' it was easy to improve as things where so lacking but nowadays I feel like we have evolved things to a very usable level, inovation now is much more subtle. Linux is a great example as so many people are developing it, it appears imposible to compeat with such a fast evloving platform with just a few coders working over at a.inc? (don't actualy know the size of the team or location... could be in india for all I know about OS5.)

Offline coldfish

• Show only replies by coldfish
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2006, 04:48:50 AM »
I dont think OS4 or 5 needs to be that innovative, its target audiece isnt going to reach much beyond current AmigaOS users anyway.  
Sure, it may get a few "once were" Amiga users coming back to it, but it's not going to lure XP/Vista/OSX/Linux users away from what they're already familiar with even if its fantastic.

Its pointless trying to market a closed-OS stuck to proprietary hardware, to the masses in 2006.  It was pointless six years ago, someone probably shouldve said something back then?

If people want to try alternatives they can get FREE Live-CD's mailed to them or even splurge on a nice core-duo Mac and dual-boot Windows.

What does OS4 offer that isnt already covered by a free linux distro, other than something for current-Amiga-users to go on with?  If that's Ainc's sole market, then it's long past time for a rethink.

Offline TheMagicM

• Show only replies by TheMagicM
    • http://www.BartonekDragRacing.com
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2006, 05:35:48 AM »
I think people would run OS4 (dont say 5...lets not get way to ahead of ourselves) on a x86 if it came out.  I would.  Not as a primary os but I would check it out.  Same with MacOS...rumor has it, that it runs on a VMWare session  ;-)

It would be COOLER to have OS4 on a Wii or P3 system because they dont have a OS you can boot into.  Instant cash for the coderz at Hyperion.

-Alex
PowerMac G5 dual 2.0ghz/128meg Radeon/500gb HD/2GB RAM, MorphOS 3.9 registered, user #1900
Powerbook G4 5,6 1.67ghz/2gb RAM, Radeon 9700/250gb hd, MorphOS 3.9 registered #3143