Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga PCs on the way....  (Read 33762 times)

Description:

Offline ElPolloDiabl

• Show all replies
Re: Amiga PCs on the way....
« on: September 01, 2010, 07:10:50 AM »
A point for x86 camp.
Next up port OS4 to x86.
Go Go Gadget Signature!

Offline ElPolloDiabl

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 12:24:07 AM »
Quote from: ajlwalker;577188
I'm afraid these events are pretty much the final straw for me.

I was interested in an X1000.  I have the money now waiting for it, but this just brings uncertainty.  I never liked the AmigaOne name, and now we could end up in the farcical situation that we have computers called Amiga that do not run an Amiga OS, and other computers called AmigaOne that do run an Amiga OS.  That is just confusing and will never appeal to outsiders.

What is more is that this CommodoreUSA can only use their licenses to produce computers in a keyboard style.  So no range of machines like there used to be.  How limiting.  Or does all in one apply to laptops, netbooks and slates too?  I doubt it.

I'm not interested at all in the product offerings of CommodoreUSA regarding their proposed Amiga range.

I've tried AROS, and it is hit and miss which hardware it supports.  I wish it luck, but I don't think it's for me.

I haven't tried Morphos, know very little about it, have no animosity towards it, but it doesn't appeal to me either.

I'm afraid I think I am now finished with the Amiga and it's array of flavours.  I desperately wanted some fun again when using computers, but it's all been trashed again.

I guess I may still consider a Sam460.  At least that would be a bit less money wasted.

No just get lost, you clearly have issues. I suppose you must also be upset by all the different Linux versions and the fact that Mac dumped 68k and then PowerPC.
Go Go Gadget Signature!

Offline ElPolloDiabl

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 08:20:14 AM »
I've heard of price sticker rage, now people are getting worked up about a brand name sticker. You should calm down.
I see this as a novelty item, if someone wants to sell AROS boxes why stop them? If they are not legit, why feed them?
Go Go Gadget Signature!

Offline ElPolloDiabl

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010, 01:11:40 PM »
Quote from: ajlwalker;577304
Sadly, since making my comment, I've seen two other similar comments on Amiga forums.

It's a lot of money to pay out for an X1000, and I do want confidence in my purchase.  I can't see how a company with such perceived small revenues can continually spend it's time in court.

To be clear I want an X1000 so I can run OS4 on it, not anything else.  I can do that on a PC.  That is it's only use to me.  If Hyperion spend their money and effort on yet another legal case, I can only see it doing them and their product harm.  This discourages me from parting with my money.

If I had the money for an x1000, I'd stuff it all into a cannon and fire it off into the atmosphere.
If you want to do something useful with the money buy an FPGA arcade, a PC and put the rest into an AROS bounty for porting the kickstart and whatever graphics card you use.
Go Go Gadget Signature!

Offline ElPolloDiabl

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 08:13:53 AM »
Quote from: the_leander;579037
Tbh I quite like the Asus all in ones. Except for the fact they're all using ATI. ATI drivers on Linux is even more of a hateful experience now than it was 5 years ago.

I'm downgrading from 5750 to a 4650 so I can play games in screen modes other than 800x600. Also I hope to be able to use the latest Ubuntu distro. Anyone know why ATI is so slack with the drivers?
Go Go Gadget Signature!