Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Motorola 68060 FPGA replacement module (idea)  (Read 53057 times)

Description:

Offline Heiroglyph

• Show all replies
Re: Motorola 68060 FPGA replacement module (idea)
« Reply #44 from previous page: January 17, 2013, 07:04:27 PM »
Quote from: billt;722951
Read the name of this thread's topic.

This started out as a discussion to replace the very difficult to find, legitimate, best mask-set, full-featured and fastest 68060 chips from Motorola/Freescale, to put into 68060 sockets such as the socket found on some Amiga accelerators and on MikeJ's daughtercard for FPGA-Replay system.

I understand the thread topic, but I think it's a flawed idea with a simple fix.  The 060 bus is more trouble than it is worth.  It's not the common denominator, it's an aberration.

Even 040 bus would be a better choice than 060.  Good 040 cards are really common and A3640's are like roaches.

It would be easier to make an 030 bus expansion board for the FPGA Replay and get more use out of the CPU work than just the people who are holding the remaining 060 cards for ransom.

Other things, such as the 3000/4000 accelerator slot, 030 socket, 020 socket, 000 socket, etc. have also come up, and could most likley be used via adapter, or do new PCBs directly targetting those and reuse the FPGA softcore stuff there. No reason a TG68 or N050 or whatever can't be plugged into any one of those things, but this topic came from the 68060 issue and desire to have better than whatever it is we already have.

If someone wants to pump years of work and thousands of dollars into an easily redesigned FPGA replay addon that a hand full of people own and the already hard to buy 060 cards, that's their time and money.  

It just doesn't make sense to me and I hope it doesn't take resources away from anything actually useful to the community.

Offline Heiroglyph

• Show all replies
« Reply #45 on: January 17, 2013, 10:21:43 PM »
Quote from: mikej;723000

Several of us have a real problem with this guy - he was on this forum for a while. He is using GPL code and not releasing the source, which is naughty. We will release the code for the Replay system as soon as we start shipping a stable core.
/MikeJ

That's one of the things I really respect about you Mike.  You are giving to the community instead of taking.  I hope you make most of your investment back. (I wish profit, but that's going to be a tough one)

The GBA 060 for example (and any number of dead commercial products) will never do the community any good, nor make him any money, yet the developer keeps it to himself.

We need more like you in the community.

Once I can just order a replay board and receive it, I'm definitely going to get one.

Offline Heiroglyph

• Show all replies
« Reply #46 on: January 18, 2013, 03:03:06 AM »
If you notice, none of the improvements listed above have anything to do with the 060 bus.

I'm just still not seeing the point of not making it immediately compatible with more existing hardware.

Look at an 030 card (especially a3640), then look at an 040 or 060 card.  Most of those chips are glue to hack it onto the Amiga bus.

Offline Heiroglyph

• Show all replies
« Reply #47 on: February 01, 2013, 02:32:59 PM »
I had considered this as well.  I didn't think of modifying the original CPU quite as heavily as you mention though.  It's a very interesting idea.

That brings me back to the question of just how much performance can you get out of a general purpose FPGA CPU? Is that a sufficient upgrade for the time and money spent?

Edit: By performance, I don't mean MHz or MIPs, actual work done.  RISC vs CISC instructions per second are as meaningless as MHz.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 02:36:19 PM by Heiroglyph »

Offline Heiroglyph

• Show all replies
« Reply #48 on: March 19, 2013, 04:27:45 PM »
Wow, that's enough to supply the community for the rest of time.

Your inbox will overflow in 3, 2...

Offline Heiroglyph

• Show all replies
« Reply #49 on: March 20, 2013, 02:25:11 PM »
There are cases to be made for either one, that's why both exist.

Earlier Someone brought up voltage tolerance and also fitting 040 boards (or I read it on one of Bill's sites)

Aren't all CPU cards taking advantage of the 060's 5v tolerance?  Since you'll need 5v tolerance anyway and many 060 boards use the 040 bus protocol option, making it fit 040 boards seems like a no-brainer.  With RAM on the FPGA board 3640's could actually be useful.

Also, if there is a stash of thousands of 060's out there (probably 10x more CPU's than users left), why not make a new CPU card with modern components and just go overkill on the FPGA used?

Then you can tinker with the soft core to your hearts content and still get some use out of your dev board.