Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Found a nice CD32 at a garage sale yesterday... Yeah!  (Read 1975 times)

Description:

Offline SandmanTopic starter

• Show only replies by Sandman
Found a nice CD32 at a garage sale yesterday... Yeah!
« on: February 03, 2013, 04:52:28 AM »
Found a nice CD32 at a garage sale yesterday with a bunch of games.... asked the guy what he wanted for it and couldn't believe it when he said "its your for $1"!!

Its wasn't working when I first tried it and I had to make a power supply adapter for an ATX PC supply so I completely disassemble it and cleaned everything meticulously including disassembling the comp. pro joypad to clean years of grime off of that too.  Works perfect now.

I almost enjoy restoring Amigas more than using them.

Found it had a shorted resistor and thanks to help from this board got it fixed.

Made my week! :)

Offline AmmoJammo

• Show only replies by AmmoJammo
Re: Found a nice CD32 at a garage sale yesterday... Yeah!
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 05:01:16 AM »
I want one! :(

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 05:11:47 AM »
Too cool! I love happy endings!
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline Astral

• Show only replies by Astral
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 09:21:18 AM »
It's very satisfying when you get something awesome for next to nothing isn't it? Even if you have to repair/buy something else to go with it to get it working.

I remember only a few years ago I picked up a complete C64 system, from all places - eBay, for $2. It worked fine. When I picked it up and handed over the $2 the look was priceless - if only there was an emoticon for it!

Offline danwood

• Show only replies by danwood
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2013, 10:20:07 AM »
Quote from: Astral;725115
It's very satisfying when you get something awesome for next to nothing isn't it? Even if you have to repair/buy something else to go with it to get it working.

I remember only a few years ago I picked up a complete C64 system, from all places - eBay, for $2. It worked fine. When I picked it up and handed over the $2 the look was priceless - if only there was an emoticon for it!

How times have changed, I can't find one for less than £80 ($125) lately on ebay :/

Offline Astral

• Show only replies by Astral
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2013, 10:29:23 AM »
Quote from: danwood;725122
How times have changed, I can't find one for less than £80 ($125) lately on ebay :/

Well it wasn't that long ago. Others C64's were going for "good" $ at the time. Thing is. It was "untested", pickup only and the auction finished at a silly hour. These things nearly always work against the seller, and in this case worked against them fairly badly :D

Offline mrknight

• Show only replies by mrknight
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2013, 11:32:57 AM »
Quote from: Sandman;725100
asked the guy what he wanted for it and couldn't believe it when he said "its your for $1"!!

I expressed a loud "wow" when I read that. Tried to explain to my girlfiend who sat next to me why it was "wow" but she didn't get it:laugh1:

Offline Ral-Clan

• Show only replies by Ral-Clan
    • http://www3.sympatico.ca/clarke-santin/
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2013, 04:58:26 PM »
Quote from: mrknight;725127
I expressed a loud "wow" when I read that. Tried to explain to my girlfiend who sat next to me why it was "wow" but she didn't get it:laugh1:

I remember a time in the late 1990s when people were dumping all of their 1980s computer stuff, and I could find hordes of C64s, VIC20s, Ataris, Intellivisions, Colecovisions, Commodore monitors, all for about $2 to $8 in the Thrift stores.  I used to cruise the Thrift stores regularly and I had to pass many by as there were so many (I had no room to aquire that many - although I had a sizeable personal collection).

I even passed by several Amiga 500s that were $8, and an Amiga 1000 with some extra hardware in it (never could tell what) for $60.

There were even PETs and CBM disk drives I had to pass by (mostly regret not picking up that chicklet keyboard PET with built in datasette).  No more than $25 each.

In the 1990s most people (not us enthusiasts) considered this outdated 1980s tech to be junk.  It takes about 20 years before something is considered retro and "vintage" again.  Then the prices start to climb.

After about 2003 I stopped seeing Commodore stuff in the Thrift stores and now it has been years since I've seen anything Commodore related in there.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 05:00:31 PM by ral-clan »
Music I've made using Amigas and other retro-instruments: http://theovoids.bandcamp.com

Offline pwermonger

• Show only replies by pwermonger
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2013, 06:51:40 PM »
Its good to see a Commodore saved. I have a feeling anyone selling it like that would likely toss it in the garbage if it didnt sell at some point.

I never thought back then to go to thrift stores and wish I did. But I had picked up some good stuff at low prices in the late 90s. Thrift stores, I think, nowadays would not take Commodores or Amigas being too old to be usefull. They wont even take older PCs I bet. They have no idea the stuff is now starting to appreciate.

Offline Machico2012

• Show only replies by Machico2012
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2013, 10:37:48 PM »
I also found a nice cd32 but on evilbay, it sure was more expensive than yours, but i think its worth, my problem is how to burn iso games from TOSEC, does any of you guys know how to? apparently i burn the iso but the audio tracks don´t work... i´m getting short on empty cds:cry:

Offline Nostalgiac

• Show only replies by Nostalgiac
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2013, 10:55:45 PM »
you lucky bastard :D   I always wanted one - lucky lucky man :)

Tom UK
2000/2060/128mb/2320/2gb/C64-3D/Hydra-Aminet on OS 3.9

c128/1541/1750/1351 with Dolphin Dos and eprom burner

Offline Argo

• Show only replies by Argo
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2013, 05:35:00 AM »
Awesome.

Offline djos

• Show only replies by djos
    • http://users.adam.com.au/djorlc/
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2013, 05:54:41 AM »
Quote from: Sandman;725100

I almost enjoy restoring Amigas more than using them.

I have that problem too! :D
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Amiga 1200 w/ ACA1220 16Mhz 128MB w/ RTC, 4GB CF-HDD, Roland MT-32 MIDI Synthesiser
Amiga 500 w/ KS2.05, 1Mb Chip-Ram, CF-IDE w/4MB Fast-Ram, FDD Boot Selector, HxC RevC Floppy emulator
Commodore 64 w/ 1541 Ultimate-II inc Tape Adapter, JiffyDOS, 1541 Disk Drive, 1531 Datasette, Flyer Net Modem

Offline spaceman88

• Show only replies by spaceman88
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2013, 12:17:09 PM »
I'd buy that for a dollar!!

(sorry for the 1980's reference)

Offline Ral-Clan

• Show only replies by Ral-Clan
    • http://www3.sympatico.ca/clarke-santin/
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2013, 02:19:49 PM »
Quote from: djos;725515
I have that problem too! :D

I'm the same way. I end up spending several days / weeks to restore them, then they go into storage because I don't have any room to set them up permanently.  But I do LOVE to track down problems and fix them.
Music I've made using Amigas and other retro-instruments: http://theovoids.bandcamp.com