Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: E-UAE Mac OS 10.4.3 Tiger  (Read 8240 times)

Description:

Offline MacmanTopic starter

• Show only replies by Macman
Re: E-UAE Mac OS 10.4.3 Tiger
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2006, 03:04:26 PM »
I used to emulate a Mac on my Amiga, now I emulate an Amiga on my Mac ;)

« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2006, 08:26:56 PM »
There are some screen grabs over in the images section of this site in Miscellaneous Amiga Images....

I'm having a spot of bother getting the latest AIAB running, does it look like I am missing a command in 'c' or a LIBS?

Everything looks ok. I can get around it, but for the sake of making the guide easier to follow it would be good if the install sequence didn't fail.

Cheers all.

Offline ebobs

• Show only replies by ebobs
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2006, 03:18:16 PM »
My offer of help seems a bit redundant now, as you've already got farther than I did. I looked at the Mac instructions for AIAB and gave up.

It's amazing how nostalgic a boot up screen can make you feel. I still remember being amazed the first time I used the "Undo" button in Dpaint.

Straying off topic a bit, I agree that Mac OS X is probably the closest spiritual successor to the Amiga, but there is one big difference. In it's day, the Amiga was a top games machine, as well as being a PC. The Mac currently doesn't have the same gaming status.

I was thinking that it might be a good idea, and less daunting to new users, if "E-UAE on Mac OS X" had a more memorable name. Like Winuae. At least something more compact!  X-UAE?  iUAE?  Maciga?

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2006, 08:46:27 PM »
I still feel like there is a long way to go for me to master both the Mac, and Amiga emulation.

Nostalgia :-) is cool, for those of us of a certain age, cough ;) DPaint! awsome, in the days when EGA was good and VGA was just appearing, I remember making video work that few could work out how it was done, as that level of technology didn't exist on the PC ;)

Wizball was the first ever thing I loaded onto my Amiga 500 when I bought it, so it had to be the first thing I tried on my Mac.

Being a top games machine I think is less important for a computer nowadays. You are absolutely right, but I'd say the struggle with gfx drivers, installing games, getting lazy programmers to make sure their software works in a limited account, and the cost of gfx card upgrades (PC) outweighs the fact that it is better to leave your computer doing computery things, and go buy an xbox, playstation2/3 or PSP for  your gaming fix.

I may be the only one that thinks this, but I prefer a computer with the best OS / software and technologies money can buy busily making a DVD for me, while I play Grand theft auto on my playstation 2 or PSP.

I don't think it matters as much anymore, or should matter?

Getting back on topic, oops. I recieved my copy of AF today ;) That was quick. So I should be able to include AF installation instructions for using the ROMS and WB from it in a short guide to setting up EUAE.

I suppose as a short name EUAE covers it, as that describes the (E)nhanced version of open-UAE that has been compiled for all platforms, including Windows - although winuae is quite a way ahead.

So we should just call it EUAE.

Offline ebobs

• Show only replies by ebobs
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2006, 10:16:10 PM »
I completely agree that gaming on PC's is a pain with all the driver issues etc...   The Amiga was, in that way, a lot more like a console. The mac never was, or is.

"Nostalgia  is cool, for those of us of a certain age, cough ;) DPaint! awsome, in the days when EGA was good and VGA was just appearing, I remember making video work that few could work out how it was done, as that level of technology didn't exist on the PC ;)"

Bit before my time! I'm AGA age.

Back on topic, I was thinking some custom OS X icons for the various E-UAE folders would be good. What do you think?

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2006, 10:25:56 PM »
Thank gawd for that! I've finally managed something useful, after several hours of struggling with Amiga forever, I have got a good working setup running in EUAE on my Mac.

Go check out the images part of this site, and you should see it (might have to wait a bit as I've only just uploaded it)

There was an error that I shall have to let Cloanto know about. This is the second stage of me getting together a guide to setting up EUAE, workbench environments, games, and customising settings for performance.

Is there anything you would particularly want me to cover in this guide? I need to get AmigaInABox working first, then there will be some time consuming testing and I'll write the guide and post it here. It would be excellent if you guys and gals could check it over, and give some suggestions.

Why am I doing all this?

1. I was really pleased, and pleasantly surprised to find such an active Amiga community after all that has happened in the world of Amigas.
2. I needed a guide myself to setting up emulators for the mac and couldn't find one.
3. I go way back both in work and play with the excellent Amiga.

Cheers everyone, I'm quite pleased with myself  :-)

Offline jmbattle

• Show only replies by jmbattle
    • http://www.amigainabox.co.uk
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2006, 10:52:07 AM »
Hello there,

Regarding your difficultues, may I suggest you post a message on the AIAB forum?  It isn't quite as active as this one, however the visitors may be able to lend a hand with specific problems.

Cheers,
James

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2006, 05:07:39 PM »
Excellent, why didn't I think of that.

I will do that, nice to hear from you again oh guru ;)

« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2006, 04:39:41 PM »
I have posted a request for help on the AIAB forum, but nobody has answered  :cry:

I know I can probably get around the problem by hacking away a bit, but I was hoping that it would be possible to run the startup-sequence as is, as this will allow other Mac users (or users of Lunix EUAE) to use the excellent AIAB.

I know the picasso side is working as it boots Amiga forever with RTG working nicely. Cloanto also had an error, but it wasn't with the script or install process. I will contact Cloanto about the error they have on their CD's.

I am a new returner to the Amiga scene, what is the latest version of Amiga OS that you can buy? 3.9...

Anyway, thanks for the help

« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2006, 09:54:04 PM »
After getting a reply from the Amiga Man himself, I have now got it working.

I was fixated, getting the "BleedingEdge" archive working. I admited defeat, and tried the 20050606.zip. That worked fine.

AIAB is several times slower than AF on EUAE, the speed issues could be with EUAE, the SDL library or my EUAE config. With the same config settings AF runs about 10 times faster than AIAB!

I have made two configs of AIAB to test with EUAE, one with all the latest bells and whistles, and one with older software which needs less resources.

EUAE seems generally slow on my G5 1.7Gig iMac. Its not the Mac's fault ;) I am also running virtual PC 7, and can happily run Windows XP on my Mac at very good speed indeed, faster than some real PC's I know!

I have posted an image to 'Misc Amiga Images' of EUAE running Amiga in a box on my iMac G5

Now for lots of testing, unfortunately this might be a bit slow, as I have started a course at the Open University ;)

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2006, 11:02:24 PM »
Is a beginners guide to setting up EUAE on a Mac PPC still being written by someone in this thread?  I hope so, I am waiting on a part to get my Titanium 1gHz G4 Powerbook working again and would like to emulate the Amiga on it, instead of using WinUAE on VirtualPC.
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline jmbattle

• Show only replies by jmbattle
    • http://www.amigainabox.co.uk
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2006, 12:14:55 PM »
Hey, fancy seeing you here!

Glad you got it all working (albeit slowly...) - may I ask which course you shall be studying with OU?  I am rather considering a pursuing self-study options.

Thanks,
James
x

« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2006, 05:04:31 PM »

amigadave wrote:
Is a beginners guide to setting up EUAE on a Mac PPC still being written by someone in this thread?  I hope so, I am waiting on a part to get my Titanium 1gHz G4 Powerbook working again and would like to emulate the Amiga on it, instead of using WinUAE on VirtualPC.

Yup, that was me planning to do an EUAE guide, mainly because when I was looking for one I couldn't find one. I have all the details / downloads / install methods / and how to use with both Amiga forever and Amiga in a box.

I just need some testing time, and time to set up a couple of EUAE configs to make it easy to run Amiga games optimised for a500 and a1200 by double clicking.

The only other thing I might need is somewhere to host it, that would be most beneficial to Amigans looking for said guide.

Watch this space!

« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2006, 05:11:35 PM »

jmbattle wrote:
Hey, fancy seeing you here!

Glad you got it all working (albeit slowly...) - may I ask which course you shall be studying with OU?  I am rather considering a pursuing self-study options.

Thanks,
James
x

Cheers, I should stop thinking I always need the latest stuff. ;) At least I am using the latest SDL lib and latest EUAE - I'd love to hear from the authors of both about what is planned.

I am studying T224 from the Open University, looks quite easy (famous last words). After a few courses I can turn those into a diploma in IT, which will convert to a degree in IT after adding a few more courses.

This way I can qualify for something very quickly, whilst using the same courses to count towards a degree.

It's just mad enough to work  :-)

Offline AmiNTT

• Show only replies by AmiNTT
    • http://www.leroux.ca/
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2006, 11:10:30 PM »
I downloaded UAE for my Mac (G5, 1.8Ghz, 3 Gb Ram, ~1 Tb HD) and was presented with something that made very little sense to me.

I've been an Amiga user for about 16 years, so I know the ins and outs of the Amiga, but Emulation never really interested me, other than as a curiosity.

However, this is now changing.  My trusty 3000 has started to behave oddly, and I am fairly sure it is in a slow death spiral.  I've backed everything important up to the Mac, so it would make sense to get an emulator running on it.

If anyone would be willing to point the way, I would certainly appreciate it, because after reading the docs, I'm only more confused.  :-/

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #29 from previous page: January 26, 2006, 04:31:44 AM »

Macman wrote:

amigadave wrote:

Yup, that was me planning to do an EUAE guide, mainly because when I was looking for one I couldn't find one. I have all the details / downloads / install methods / and how to use with both Amiga forever and Amiga in a box.

I just need some testing time, and time to set up a couple of EUAE configs to make it easy to run Amiga games optimised for a500 and a1200 by double clicking.

The only other thing I might need is somewhere to host it, that would be most beneficial to Amigans looking for said guide.

Watch this space!

Great, I'll be watching and waiting for it.  I am also going to contact the guy who put together AmiKit which works on PC's with a person's copy of Amiga Forever, Amithlon, or WinUAE and AmigaOS3.9.  Maybe he can be persuaded to do an AmiKit install for the Mac.  I have been pretty impressed with AmiKit on my son's PC w/Athlon64 3000+.
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)