Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: UAE vs real A1200  (Read 3941 times)

Description:

Offline mikrucio

• Party Mix \'87
    • Show only replies by mikrucio
Re: UAE vs real A1200
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2005, 02:14:44 AM »
OpenGL is definitely better than at this yeah, but it still is far from as good as a amiga, due to limitations in the pc design itself...

spot on!! man. but hey winuae is FAST though, alot faster than my A1200 anyway.

Offline Waccoon

• Show only replies by Waccoon
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2005, 04:28:27 AM »
UAE might seem faster on pure cpu power and such, but try a game that really takes advantage of the amiga custom chipset, then you will see that it runs far from as smooth as on the real thing... A scroller game or demo is a real nice test for this.

This has more to do with the throttling of chipset timings.  Note that the original Amigas had trouble with the CPU and chipset timing fighting with each other, which is one reason why the AGA chipset in the 1200 runs faster than the 4000.  I can only get major CPU speed with running in RTG -- this is explained in more detail in the AIAB documentation.  Also, things get choppy on my machine without VSync, but with VSync on, things are PERFECTLY smooth -- not a single hickup anywhere.  I'm not sure if I should blame the emulation or WinUAE's terrible display code for this.  WinUAE really tortures the video system, and it's the only application I run that can regularly lock-up Win2000.  That says a lot.

I must say the new versions of WinUAE are really troublesome.  I still prefer 8.26 over 1.0RC.

Also, for some weird reason, WinUAE and some older Win95 games run a hell of a lot better on Athlon / nForce than on Pentium / Intel chipset.  I think the two use different low-level timers... or something.  I prefer AMD for emulating WinUAE.  The P4 does weird things.

Offline mikrucio

• Party Mix \'87
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2005, 04:55:29 AM »
hmmmmm thanks for the tip iv got a spare AMD 2000 that i have not used with winuae before might, give better perf
than my 2.0ghz p4.

yeah i can lock up w2000 aswell.
iv made a really nice ntoskrnl.exe file if anyone wants it.
fully amiga hacked logos and logon screen. (sp1 and 2 only)

Offline gizz72

• Show only replies by gizz72
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2005, 08:05:53 AM »
Greetings,

I have the best of both worlds! At work, I use winuae(040) on an IBM P3 800Mhz. On speed wise, I'd go for it. Video mode is wonderful. A 16-bit display of true colors(800*600)! Although it does fall behind in terms of sound emulation(set at 100% accuracy). It still sounds like it's going to a tunnel when I'm running song player while browsing the net(very fast LAN 10Mbps).
At home my trusty (030) A1200. The only thing it lack is a 16-bit video card. which I only get an 8-bit display. Dial-up 55k(darn slow) but managable. :-D IMHO, It's like 80's era meets the next millenium fad. Both worlds collide, and rule!!!

Regards,

GiZz72
Good day to all Amigans!
Please Check My FaceBook page
or my Resource Blog @ G.A.R.P.

SAM - SAMSUNG DB-Z2 Dual Core; 1 GB RAM; Dual Drive Win7 and IcarosDesktopv1.5.2
GEORGE - TOSHIBA Satellite J41 ; 512MB RAM; Dual Partition WinXP and IcarosDesktopv1.5.2
MANNY - A1200 + CobraDKB \'030 w/ 32MB + DataF

Offline Damion

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2005, 09:00:47 AM »
Tomas is right, I have found a small number of AGA demos that aren't quite right. For the most part however, it's spot-on. (Many demos and games aren't totally smooth on  real amigas, either.) The sound quality is as good or better, but much of it really comes down to your hardware, and how well the emulator is configured for the given task. Many (but not all) instances of poor/choppy graphics performance are due to some setting that needs to be tweaked.

Personally, I prefer WinUAE in almost every way, and have no desire to fire-up the originals (though I keep my 500 and 1200 for nostalgic/collector purposes). It's super-fast, easily customized, you can flick back and forth instantly between Windows and AOS, and it runs about 95% of the things I've tried flawlessly. It's nice to fire up a little Jet Pilot at full detail and framerate (perfectly smooth), on a screen that doesn't make my eyes bleed...something no real amiga could ever manage.  

Is it 100% perfect?? No...but IMO, setup correctly on decent hardware, the advantages far outweigh the negatives.

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2005, 09:01:56 AM »

mikrucio wrote:
winuae is great. however no matter how fast cpu you have
games that scroll wont look smooth (directx is crap!).
also full implementation of AGA is not what i call %100 the real amiga is way better in that regard. the real amiga has better sound aswell which is unusual because it's only 8bit!

I'm not sure what your PC set up is... but on my old Athlon 600Mhz running XP and the latest WinUAE with Vsync switched on, the Screen scrolling is as smoths as any of my Amigas...

I'm having a hard time believeing all the UAE bashing that's going on right now... If you jsut take the time to tweek the CPU/Chipset timing in UAE (not to mention adjusting the chipset features to meet the requirements of the game) you will get a faster system than any Amiga.

I though you Amiga boys like to play with settings? Well play!!!

Offline Damion

« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2005, 09:04:31 AM »
@TjLaZer

TjLaZer wrote:
On my 3.2GHz PC WinUAE reports it is a 700MHz 68040!!! (With a good benchmark program)  Thats with full sound enabled... ADoom and Quake run great on it too! :banana:

Just out of curiosity, which benchmark program did you use?

Thanks

Offline mikrucio

• Party Mix \'87
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2005, 12:04:30 AM »
yeah vsync to 60hz works Perfectly smoothly on games,
exactly like a real amiga. but vsync on,
enables more precise
chipset timing in the emulation, and hence the emulation
suffers. like in workbench for example boot times and load times are greatly decreased i found. as with boot times and load time with games. it's pretty much as fast as a real 040 amiga 1200. loading from a standard IDE drive.

so the solution is only turn on vsync to 60hz for games.

Offline B00tDisk

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by B00tDisk
    • http://www.thedelversdungeon.com
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2005, 01:20:22 AM »

mikrucio wrote:
OpenGL is definitely better than at this yeah, but it still is far from as good as a amiga, due to limitations in the pc design itself...

:-o
 :lol:
 :-P

Oh...you Amigoids slay me.

(Amigoids, not to be confused with Amigans.)
Back away from the EU-SSR!

Offline Desolator

• Show only replies by Desolator
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2005, 02:30:59 AM »
Ummm, so all of you run WinUAE without any lagging in sound at all?

Somehow I don't find that true, or maybe just my 1.8Ghz machine is too slow at emulating.
// Amiga - The computer for the creative mind.
// Ph.D in Amiga future optimism.

Offline mikrucio

• Party Mix \'87
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2005, 02:59:20 AM »
i didnt write that queer. that supposed to be a quote..

but yeah i can run perfect winuae with no lagging at all.
exactly the same as the amiga. (1.93ghz p4)

the emulation is fastest with vsync off, however as i just mentioned vsync is only good for games and demos.
or anything that you want a perfectly smooth animation for.

AGA is not 100% implemented as their are artifacts in some demos and games regardless of the settings you use.

and yes you better believe this emulation has come a long way. and it will replace your amiga in the near future.

Offline Waccoon

• Show only replies by Waccoon
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2005, 03:10:27 AM »
but vsync on, enables more precise chipset timing in the emulation, and hence the emulation suffers. like in workbench for example boot times and load times are greatly decreased i found

Architectually speaking, the Amiga is too smart for its own good.  Everything is syncronous and depends on the chipset timings, so turning on Vsync will slow everything down.  Use RTG and turn the floppy drives off, and WinUAE really flies.

Also noteworthy, is the fact the Amiga does all floppy error correction in the CPU, so floppy disk access is always a pain to emulate.  You have to emulate the rotation of the disk and everything.

BTW, is it "disc" or "disk" with regards to floppies?

so the solution is only turn on vsync to 60hz for games.

Yeah.  I have about ten WinUAE configs, mostly for speed and not for compatibility.  Now THAT's why I prefer WinUAE over my genuine 1200.  :-)

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2005, 11:26:39 AM »

Desolator wrote:
Ummm, so all of you run WinUAE without any lagging in sound at all?

Somehow I don't find that true, or maybe just my 1.8Ghz machine is too slow at emulating.

If you're getting lag on the Audio, then blame it on your crappy sound card.

My Edirol FA-101 (on a firewire link), gives me no lag at all.

Offline InTheSand

• Show only replies by InTheSand
    • http://www.ali.geek.nz
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2005, 07:19:54 PM »
To the original poster: if the only thing you use on your Amiga is OctaMED, have you considered the Windoze version?

It's here if you're interested.

Still... not a patch on the original MED with the "jumping man" mouse pointer!!

- Ali

Offline Legerdemain

• Show only replies by Legerdemain
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2005, 08:36:59 PM »
UAE might seem faster on pure cpu power and such, but try a game that really takes advantage of the amiga custom chipset, then you will see that it runs far from as smooth as on the real thing... A scroller game or demo is a real nice test for this.

This is very far from the truth. As long as you have what it takes, hardware-wise smooth scrolling will never be a problem. I seldom have to do more than to play around with the Hz, apply v-sync and voila. I did actually run Turrican II in my old 350MHz Compaq Presario under WinUAE smooth as silk. Never had any problems with this whatsoever on any "new" machine.
Amiga 1200, Mirage Tower, PC-Key 1200, Blizzard 1260/50, SCSI Kit, 256MB RAM, 40GB HD, Mediator SX, Soundblaster 128, Voodoo 3 and Realtek 8139.

Offline FastRobPlus

• Show only replies by FastRobPlus
    • http://bye
« Reply #29 from previous page: January 28, 2005, 08:57:18 PM »

Waccoon wrote:
[BTW, is it "disc" or "disk" with regards to floppies?
quote]

Disk is the magnetic term, and disc is the optical term.