Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New AGA SDL Development  (Read 33059 times)

Description:

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
Re: New AGA SDL Development
« Reply #59 on: May 13, 2013, 01:33:43 PM »
taking of lost people, has anyone seen piru on here in a long time ?
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline nicholas

« Reply #60 on: May 13, 2013, 01:47:07 PM »
Quote from: JJ;734723
taking of lost people, has anyone seen piru on here in a long time ?

I believe he (and others) left because Pyro shutdown the domain for a day as a protest about something.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 01:57:41 PM by nicholas »
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #61 on: May 14, 2013, 01:55:13 AM »
opening this site on my 060-50 system with netsurf-aga takes more than thirty seconds. the browser has wrong colors currently. it is laggy but not that much more laggy than rtg version. with some patience no proiblem to navigate. now testing if posting works. cheers.

Offline magnetic

• Show only replies by magnetic
« Reply #62 on: May 14, 2013, 02:32:55 AM »
Quote from: nicholas;734725
I believe he (and others) left because Pyro shutdown the domain for a day as a protest about something.

why are you assuming to know why Piru hasnt been around? He's probably crazy busy the guy is a real life programmer.

@warwazon

Thanks for the update. Very exciting. I hope it becomes usable soon becuase nowadays I download a lot of stuff on my laptop dump to pcmcia reader and then into my a1200 from there. I'd like a usable browser for 68k.
bPlan Pegasos2 G4@1ghz
Quad Boot:Reg. MorphOS | OS4.1 U4 |Ubuntu GNU-Linux | MacOS X

Amiga 2000 Rom Switcher w/ 3.1 + 1.3 | HardFrame SCSI | CBM Ram board| A Squared LIVE! 2000 | Vlab Motion | Firecracker 24 gfx

Commodore CDTV: 68010 | ECS | 9mb Ram | SCSI -TV | 3.9 Rom | Developer EPROMs

Offline NovaCoderTopic starter

« Reply #63 on: May 14, 2013, 02:49:59 AM »
Quote from: wawrzon;734808
opening this site on my 060-50 system with netsurf-aga takes more than thirty seconds. the browser has wrong colors currently. it is laggy but not that much more laggy than rtg version. with some patience no proiblem to navigate. now testing if posting works. cheers.

That's awesome news, I know people have complained about the lack of an AGA browser for almost as long as they've complained about the lack of an AGA SDL :)

What version are you using, I did do some updates to my SDL which should improve the speed for Arti but I don't know if he did a new build or not.

Do you mind updating the EAB thread with your findings?

EAB thread
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!

Offline mongo

• Show only replies by mongo
« Reply #64 on: May 14, 2013, 03:26:58 AM »
Quote from: magnetic;734817
why are you assuming to know why Piru hasnt been around? He's probably crazy busy the guy is a real life programmer.

Piru was very clear about why he left.

http://www.amiga.org/forums/showthread.php?p=702149#post702149

Offline magnetic

• Show only replies by magnetic
« Reply #65 on: May 14, 2013, 03:34:23 AM »
Mongo I see sorry Nicholas

Wow for PIru to be pissed like that it takes a lot. He seems like a really easy going guy. (unlike me lol)
bPlan Pegasos2 G4@1ghz
Quad Boot:Reg. MorphOS | OS4.1 U4 |Ubuntu GNU-Linux | MacOS X

Amiga 2000 Rom Switcher w/ 3.1 + 1.3 | HardFrame SCSI | CBM Ram board| A Squared LIVE! 2000 | Vlab Motion | Firecracker 24 gfx

Commodore CDTV: 68010 | ECS | 9mb Ram | SCSI -TV | 3.9 Rom | Developer EPROMs

Offline Pyromania

• Sent from my Quantum Computer
    • Show only replies by Pyromania
    • http://www.discreetfx.com
« Reply #66 on: May 14, 2013, 06:03:26 AM »

The site was down for about 40 minutes tops. I'm the one that got the site back up. The one that took the site offline no longer owns Amiga.org.

Offline Pyromania

• Sent from my Quantum Computer
    • Show only replies by Pyromania
    • http://www.discreetfx.com
« Reply #67 on: May 14, 2013, 06:16:09 AM »

The site was down for about 40 minutes. I'm the one that got the site back up. The one that took the site offline no longer owns Amiga.org.

Offline Crumb

• Show only replies by Crumb
    • http://cuaz.sourceforge.net
« Reply #68 on: May 14, 2013, 09:15:23 AM »
Quote from: NovaCoder;734680
NetSurf AGA, cool, hope it works ok for you (crosses fingers), make sure you get the latest version from Arti.

:)

I just hope it doesn't use SDL at all as Netsurf for OS4 works in 8bit screens.
The only spanish amiga news web page/club: Club de Usuarios de Amiga de Zaragoza (CUAZ)

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #69 on: May 14, 2013, 09:36:03 AM »
@crumb
this netsurf aga uses sdl library from novacoder. none has volunteered to rewrite chris netsurf for amiga. im sorry.

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
« Reply #70 on: May 14, 2013, 01:29:17 PM »
Quote from: magnetic;734833
Mongo I see sorry Nicholas

Wow for PIru to be pissed like that it takes a lot. He seems like a really easy going guy. (unlike me lol)

Piru easy going? lol , are we on about the same guy :)
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline Crumb

« Reply #71 on: May 14, 2013, 06:29:38 PM »
I don't think using a ClassAct/Reaction GUI requires a "total" rewrite.
The only spanish amiga news web page/club: Club de Usuarios de Amiga de Zaragoza (CUAZ)

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #72 on: May 14, 2013, 09:19:51 PM »
@crumb
there are threads over threads on this subject. almost none volunteered. nova looked at it but failed. i cant do it. artur cant do it. if someone just did it instead of giving valuable advises we would have it already. bernd suggested to adapt itix mui frontend, but itix will not do it either. so what for all that talk? we get what we can and be content with it.

Offline Crumb

« Reply #73 on: May 14, 2013, 11:12:59 PM »
Quote from: wawrzon;734941
@crumb
there are threads over threads on this subject. almost none volunteered. nova looked at it but failed. i cant do it. artur cant do it. if someone just did it instead of giving valuable advises we would have it already. bernd suggested to adapt itix mui frontend, but itix will not do it either. so what for all that talk? we get what we can and be content with it.

years ago I did a small tool to create full sourcecode of Reaction GUIs (I didn't know C nor makefiles so real code is in C files...), the tool sources were crap but the generated code was acceptable. http://sourceforge.net/projects/cuaz/files/latest/download
xml2reaction was buggy but more or less functional, I could create ready to compile C guis with a gui.c file with main() and all the stuff and an "events.c" file ready to fill by the user (kinda visual basic with all that myButton_Clicked() functions). I then realized that MUI was more elegant and started to write a xml2mui but got bored and forgot about it. Some time later I looked at the tool sources and I think those are useless. It required expat.library, tons of stack, had memory leaks everywhere, null pointers and it probably won't work on os4. it worked on morphos 1.4.x thought (iirc I even did a native version, it was kinda funny because MorphOS lacks real Reaction and I used OS3.9 Reaction for that). If you want to learn to write Reaction guis fast the generated sources may help you. Look inside xml/ directory and you'll find some examples. There's even an xml/ide.xml that defines ide.c and an events.c file that can build ide.exe file, if you launch it you'll see an example app with menus. I also did small guis for my own basiliskII for os4 (i had hangs handling the hardfiles in the gui so that's the reason I never released it), etc... nowadays I lack time to code.

My advise is using the OS4 port as base and not the SDL one. And about ixemul... get rid of it, specially the nasty 6x versions

Offline NovaCoderTopic starter

« Reply #74 from previous page: May 15, 2013, 12:41:59 AM »
Quote from: Crumb;734957
My advise is using the OS4 port as base and not the SDL one. And about ixemul... get rid of it, specially the nasty 6x versions

Yes everybody already knows that is the way to do it (see above), are you volunteering?

I already spent a couple of months trying to do it the 'right way' but kept hitting road blocks so I decided to switch my limited hobby time back to doing what I know (porting games).

I did suggest to Arti that he ditches ixemul (my new AGA SDL doesn't need it) but I don't know if he's tried to compile without it or not.   I suspect most of the libraries he's using need ixemul unfortunately.

Another why to do it is to use Reaction for the window frame and menu items but use the SDL frame buffer to render everything within the frame.   I'm not sure how hard that is to do.
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!