Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Site Maintenance and security updates discussion  (Read 8162 times)

Description:

Offline boing

• Show only replies by boing
    • http://www.TribeOfHeart.org
Re: Site Maintenance and security updates discussion
« Reply #44 from previous page: April 01, 2005, 09:56:06 AM »
I also am concerned about deleting old postings.  Amiga.org serves an important historical function.

« Reply #45 on: April 01, 2005, 02:41:01 PM »
Alas, the password changes are not to be.  

Despite giving everyone over 1.5 months to comply and update their e-mail addresses, only 8% of you ever did, meaning that if I changed everyone's password, I would get about 1000 people {bleep}ing and screaming because I wouldn't manually reset their password later, or thousands of orphaned posts as I deleted older accounts.  Then we'd get a couple of thousand new duplicate accounts being created in violation of our Terms of Service.

Suffice to say that while I thank everyone who took it seriously, I'm very disappointed in those that couldn't be arsed to even do one little thing to help this Web site out.  Toss in the few "misunderstandings" and "threats of boycott" and I simply suppose that Amiga.org will have to continue on, as is, until it's hacked again (which will happen), at which point I'll simply find something else to do with my time.  If -- as it appears -- the vast majority of active members don't really care, why should I?

:-(

Wayne

Offline Doppie1200

• Show only replies by Doppie1200
« Reply #46 on: April 01, 2005, 02:43:12 PM »
Maybe I misunderstood. But my email address is correct. That doesn't need an update then would it?
Regards,
Erno

(O\\\\_|_/O) <- this is supposed to look like the front of my beetle
(entire front not possible in signature)

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #47 on: April 01, 2005, 02:44:26 PM »

Wayne wrote:
Alas, the password changes are not to be.  

Despite giving everyone over 1.5 months to comply and update their e-mail addresses, only 8% of you ever did, meaning that if I changed everyone's password, I would get about 1000 people {bleep}ing and screaming because I wouldn't manually reset their password later, or thousands of orphaned posts as I deleted older accounts.  Then we'd get a couple of thousand new duplicate accounts being created in violation of our Terms of Service.

Suffice to say that while I thank everyone who took it seriously, I'm very disappointed in those that couldn't be arsed to even do one little thing to help this Web site out.  Toss in the few "misunderstandings" and "threats of boycott" and I simply suppose that Amiga.org will have to continue on, as is, until it's hacked again (which will happen), at which point I'll simply find something else to do with my time.  If -- as it appears -- the vast majority of active members don't really care, why should I?

:-(

Wayne

My Email is correct though...

Offline alx

« Reply #48 on: April 01, 2005, 02:50:16 PM »
@Wayne

Despite giving everyone over 1.5 months to comply and update their e-mail addresses, only 8% of you ever did

Do you mean that only 8% of addresses have been changed (I'd expect that, given that emails don't change too frequently usually) or that you've worked out somehow that only 8% of the addresses are valid?

« Reply #49 on: April 01, 2005, 02:54:57 PM »
I don't mean "8% of you actually changed your e-mails", I meant "8% of you (out of approximately 3700) had e-mail addresses listed at all".  As I said, I truly appreciate those of you who did update the e-mail address, but either we have 3400 pretty much dead accounts -- which would cripple the forums if they were removed -- or we only have less than 200 people who actively check this site at more than a once-every-six-month interval.  

I actually figure 200 active users is about the real size of the interested Amiga community anyway.  Not suggesting that those who bought AmigaOnes and Pegasos machines aren't Amiga users, simply that between all the feuding, the various "exodus" causing people who seek to destroy the Amiga community, and the intentional splitting of the community Genesi, there are only about 50 real users of this site any more.  The rest are merely lurkers.

Either way, the plan to update the passwords would have created mass chaos, so I made the decision late last night not to bother.  If Amiga.org is hacked, it's hacked.  We pick up the pieces, create something new, and move on.

Offline Vincent

• Show only replies by Vincent
« Reply #50 on: April 01, 2005, 03:00:32 PM »
If you count the updated emails as the ones that have changed and not ones that are already valid without needing the change I have an idea - if not, disregard this post :-)

To use one of red's ideas why not start a new topic asking people to check their email addresses are valid then post once and only once in the thread to say that it's correct.

Red did it to see how many people actually read a.o a while back and it was popular, there's no reason why it couldn't work in this situation.

After a couple of weeks, or a month you'll be able to get a better idea of the validity of the addresses.

--edit--
Wayne posted as I was typing this... :-)
Xbox360
"Oh no. Everytime you turn up something monumental and terrible happens.
I don\'t think I have the stomach for it." - Raziel

Offline Bodie_CI5

• Show only replies by Bodie_CI5
« Reply #51 on: April 01, 2005, 03:01:58 PM »
Hi Wayne

By emails not being listed, do you mean that they are not on display, as in not publically viewable? Or that there are those who have deleted any semblance of a proper email account in their a.org account? Just curious (and yes I did read your last entire message just then about not going through the password changes).
Recovering WoW addict.

And, I\'ve relapsed, LOL.

Hmm, might be canceling again. LOL

« Reply #52 on: April 01, 2005, 03:57:43 PM »
that there are those who have deleted any semblance of a proper email account in their a.org account?

Bingo.

Offline Cymric

• Show only replies by Cymric
« Reply #53 on: April 01, 2005, 04:19:59 PM »
Wayne wrote:
I don't mean "8% of you actually changed your e-mails", I meant "8% of you (out of approximately 3700) had e-mail addresses listed at all".  As I said, I truly appreciate those of you who did update the e-mail address, but either we have 3400 pretty much dead accounts -- which would cripple the forums if they were removed -- or we only have less than 200 people who actively check this site at more than a once-every-six-month interval.  

I actually figure 200 active users is about the real size of the interested Amiga community anyway.  Not suggesting that those who bought AmigaOnes and Pegasos machines aren't Amiga users, simply that between all the feuding, the various "exodus" causing people who seek to destroy the Amiga community, and the intentional splitting of the community Genesi, there are only about 50 real users of this site any more.  The rest are merely lurkers.

Forgive me for saying this, but this is cynical and depressed armchair statistics. I am not saying that A.org has a big thriving community, but when I looked up the 3216 members whose last login was more than 100 days ago, I estimated that over 80, perhaps 85% had made less than 5 posts; of those 3216, 2602 (!) had a login date over 200 days ago. Of the 4766 total registered members, 3648 had not logged in in time to see the password change announcement. (I used the 'Members' section for these data; appararently they are not entirely accurate, but for my argument, they suffice.)

Summarising: about 2/3rds of the members are not interested in A.org anyway, otherwise they'd have stuck around and posted more---there is a strong correlation between not logging in and not posting. Claiming that only 8% of the total number of members could be arsed into having an email address listed doesn't sound so bad all of a sudden, does it? I agree that it is still too low a figure, but most people don't see the need to have one anyway---so what if their account gets deleted?

I doubt removing so many lurkers and one- or two-time posters would 'cripple' the forums---I have been an active member for two years now and about 2/3rd of my messages cannot be accessed any longer because the links which should take me to them are broken. As I recall, you would have to search for the articles manually anyway if people asked for them, and I have not seen a 'Stop the )(%*)#(*% requests!'  thread from you :-).

In other words, I strongly urge you to look a little more closely at the user base of this site and based on that, devise a plan to prune it. It really is not that hard. You will of course get some PO'ed users, but I doubt it will be the 1000 you think there will be. That would indicate this site has suddenly gained a sh*tload of new, active users: you should be happy when that happens :-).

My $0,02.
Some people say that cats are sneaky, evil and cruel. True, and they have many other fine qualities as well.

Offline Doppie1200

• Show only replies by Doppie1200
« Reply #54 on: April 01, 2005, 05:25:56 PM »
Wayne is right! Amiga.org is vulnarable to attacks and this site exposes it:

Attack vulnatability:

http://www.netdisaster.com/go.php?url=http://www.amiga.org/&mode=ufo

Whipe out possibilities:

http://www.netdisaster.com/go.php?url=http://www.amiga.org/&mode=coffee

Flooding:

http://www.netdisaster.com/go.php?url=http://www.amiga.org/&mode=flood

Bombing:

http://www.netdisaster.com/go.php?mode=meteor&url=http://www.amiga.org

This list goes on!!!! Do something pleaase!!!

hahah sorry for being a lamer but I couldn't resist it being april 1st and all.

Edit: Don't know what browsers it will all work on.
Regards,
Erno

(O\\\\_|_/O) <- this is supposed to look like the front of my beetle
(entire front not possible in signature)

Offline Gordon

• Show only replies by Gordon
    • http://img233.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=reiasu14ci.jpg&cols=6
« Reply #55 on: April 13, 2005, 11:45:26 AM »
dont give a damn as long you read the dman dictionary ill be ok.