Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: [A-EON updates] The "Golden" Child - Nemo revision 2.1  (Read 15281 times)

Description:

Offline dreamcast270mhz

• Show all replies
Re: [A-EON updates] The "Golden" Child - Nemo revision 2.1
« on: August 04, 2011, 11:33:32 PM »
Takemehomegrandma,

Don't throw stones if your house is made of glass, we are all Amiga fans and we shouldn't be quarreling, its like Vanilla vs. Chocolate, or maybe Toyota vs. Mercedes. Why do people buy a Mercedes? Because they like it. Don't shove your opinion down our throats, nobody will respect or take you seriously. Calling us stupid like you did is certainly not a mature way to handle a disagreement.
My machines:
PowerMac G4 MDD 1.5ghz 1.25GB 10.5.8 & MOS 2.7
Mac Mini C2D 10.6.8 2GHz 3GB 250GB HDD
MacBook Retina 16GB 256GB SSD 10.8
iPad 2
Underground Gamer invites (a classic game site) PM

Need a part for a PC or Mac? PM me, I\'ll let you know if I come across it.

OS X trumps Windows on every level.

MorphOS, OS4 and Classic Amiga systems are the only ones who are real \'Amigas\', not that joke AROS or Amiga Forever.

Offline dreamcast270mhz

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, 01:55:27 AM »
X86 AMigaOS, something we don't need. If you want X86 use AROS or AMithlon and don't taint the red/blue camps.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 03:25:59 AM by dreamcast270mhz »
My machines:
iPad 2

MorphOS, OS4 and Classic Amiga systems are the only ones who are real \'Amigas\', not that joke AROS or Amiga Forever.

Offline dreamcast270mhz

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 05:03:05 AM »
Quote from: haywirepc;653132
I wish them and anyone who buys one the best of luck but I just think a linux pc with a quad or 6 core processor just blows it so far out of the water for 1/2 or 1/3 of its price.

Every day I say a prayer that the port to x86 or at least ARM. Staying on dead end power pc is such a waste of a perfectly nice (or will be eventually) OS.

Steven

ARM would be OK, but PowerPC is not dead end. I use only PowerPC macs and they continue to run circles around most windows PCs other people I know own
I don't want to support Intel because the stuff out there is not anywhere near as good of quality as a PowerPC G4 Powerbook. Have had it for two years, its the nicest, prettiest and most inexpensive computer I have ever paid for (300) and it runs jsut fine. As long as good quality hardware remains, PowerPC is not dead. In a technical sense, Classic Amiga is dead then and we should move on, from reasoning presented from takemehomegrandma.

If you like Intel, use AROS, I personally hate it, and don't really want anything to change, except for a successful A1 X1k and such. If we could bring down the price of PPC Hardware by reaching into another market, somehow and some way, then I see a good future. If we go X86, we go the way of BeOS.
My machines:
iPad 2

Offline dreamcast270mhz

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2011, 05:45:00 AM »
Second rate? Maybe at the end but the G4s always outclassed Pentium 4s running at twice the clock rate. More expensive? Definitely, but the new ones are just as expensive and are nowhere near the quality of the PPC macs, but they are definitely better than you average crap x86/64.

Saying Intel is better than PPC is like saying an M16 is better than the AK47, sure the M16 has modern, but useless features, but the AK47 is robust, effective and simple in design, like PowerPC. The designer of the AK, quoted:
"Anything that is complex is not useful and anything that is useful is simple.
-Mikhail Kalashnikov
My machines:
iPad 2

Offline dreamcast270mhz

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 10:37:56 PM »
@Kesa

the Sams are far below the AmigaOne in quality. The Amigaone was nowhere near perfect but it is not a POS. Not even the Sam is a POS. The G4, G5 and PA6T are great, innovative CPUs. The G5 would have survived, if we had stopped looking at the numbers and looking at the fact  that all the Hz in the world don't matter if the platform is sh*t. The G4 at 1.67 Ghz was kicking the P4 at 3.2's arse. If they had developed a dual core G4 for the laptop market, and created a stopgap between the G5 and PA6T then maybe Apple would be great, today they are rich but their latest product quality has slid downhill. Teh fact of teh matter is the first gen x86 Macs provided little benefit over the previous generation, the quad G5 beat out the Xeon in all areas tested. Your average computer buyer probably has teh IQ of 90 or above, and thats being generous and I can guarantee that the new x86 crap out there is made in some no name village in China or Thailand to someone who makes less than $100 a week.

No wonder the AMiga community declined, we have so many deluded members who want us to go the way of BeOS, which died due to moving to x86 and directly going against Windows and Linux. Its a no-brainer that we share many parallels with the BeOS group, small size, highly literate users and a huge division between what soem people want to go against Windows yet again and the sensible group who believes that, for the time being they don;t stand a chance in hell. We are in a similar, although somewhat better predicament.
My machines:
iPad 2

Offline dreamcast270mhz

• Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2011, 11:15:54 PM »
Actually, BeOS did and does have a comparable selection of software. Emulators, video editors, video players, e-mail, modern browsers. They even have Firefox, Thunderbird, and other software we continue to lack.
My machines:
iPad 2

Offline dreamcast270mhz

• Show all replies
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2011, 12:17:37 AM »
Amigadave,

Well put. I wish that some members wouldn't criticize people's choices of hardware. How would you like it if we criticized your choice of ice cream?
My machines:
iPad 2

Offline dreamcast270mhz

• Show all replies
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2011, 01:12:45 AM »
@Amigadave

Just thought about my analogy and ghave decided x86 AROS machines are about as close to a classic/MOS/OS4 amiga as Mayo is to ice cream.
My machines:
iPad 2

Offline dreamcast270mhz

• Show all replies
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2011, 11:05:00 PM »
Itix

Always the pessimist.
My machines:
iPad 2

Offline dreamcast270mhz

• Show all replies
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2011, 01:23:26 AM »
Kesa,

Just take a break my friend.

Don't feel too bad: ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼

I dropped my doritos
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 02:07:43 AM by dreamcast270mhz »
My machines:
iPad 2