Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: [A-EON updates] The "Golden" Child - Nemo revision 2.1  (Read 15280 times)

Description:

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
Re: [A-EON updates] The "Golden" Child - Nemo revision 2.1
« Reply #89 from previous page: August 08, 2011, 06:25:59 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;653689
And in the case of the X1000, you've also got to factor in low production volume into the price.
Well naturally - I was just a bit stunned by the cost of the CPU...
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline klx300r

• Amiga 1000+AmigaOne X1000
    • Show only replies by klx300r
    • http://mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #90 on: August 08, 2011, 06:29:46 PM »
Quote from: jorkany;653680
So you support the X1000 even though you're not clear at all on what it is?

I think you should get one. You'll make a great customer for Hyperion and Co.

kindergarten teacher time since mods are non-existent here: now now, play nice children and try to get along without insulting each other:lol:
--- www.mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca ---
  -AspireOS.com & Amikit- Amiga for your netbook-
***X1000- I BELIEVE *** :angel:

Offline jorkany

• Show only replies by jorkany
    • http://www.amigaos4.com
« Reply #91 on: August 09, 2011, 07:12:40 PM »
Quote from: Kesa;653090
Really? By an X1000 today and sell for a profit in a few years time.

What makes you think it will be more valuable in a few years? Do you think it will increase in value like the Eyetech AmigaOne has?

Oh wait:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Amigaone-XE-G4-Earlybird-Edition-/180702087558?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2a12af0986

Sold for £266.99 ($431 USD) with all included items. Research the cost of those peripherals+OS4 and you'll find the board by itself accounts for about $110.

I just don't see how a board like the X1000 which very, very few people have even heard of and which has zero impact on the world of computing will be gaining in value. Maybe a few years down the road some OS4 nostalgist would buy a used one, but only because they weren't able to afford the initial price.

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show only replies by Kesa
« Reply #92 on: August 09, 2011, 10:22:01 PM »
Quote from: jorkany;653806
What makes you think it will be more valuable in a few years? Do you think it will increase in value like the Eyetech AmigaOne has?

Oh wait:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Amigaone-XE-G4-Earlybird-Edition-/180702087558?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2a12af0986

Sold for £266.99 ($431 USD) with all included items. Research the cost of those peripherals+OS4 and you'll find the board by itself accounts for about $110.

I just don't see how a board like the X1000 which very, very few people have even heard of and which has zero impact on the world of computing will be gaining in value. Maybe a few years down the road some OS4 nostalgist would buy a used one, but only because they weren't able to afford the initial price.

In the computing world today there are basically 2 options. Arm or x86. The X1000 is neither. The X1000 is Powerpc. It is a limited production run of maybe less than 250. It has a Xena chip that has direct access to the cpu. It is controversial. If all these things summed together doesn't make it exotic then i don't know what is. You don't think it can make a profit? The Walker did. The X1000 is destined to be given cult status unlike the generic Sams...

Please don't compared the X1000 to that G4 piece of crap or even the new Sams. They are nothing more than el cheapo boards that have expensive cpu's fitted *YAWNS*.

Also the X1000 has a Xcore chip that was designed specifically to work with the X1000. Sure you can argue that you can buy an add on xcore kit and save money but it's just not the same as it wouldn't work anywhere as good as the X1000 Xena would. Sure you can substitute cardboard for wood when building a table if you want to. Don't me stop you. This argument is dumb.
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.

Offline dreamcast270mhz

• Show only replies by dreamcast270mhz
« Reply #93 on: August 09, 2011, 10:37:56 PM »
@Kesa

the Sams are far below the AmigaOne in quality. The Amigaone was nowhere near perfect but it is not a POS. Not even the Sam is a POS. The G4, G5 and PA6T are great, innovative CPUs. The G5 would have survived, if we had stopped looking at the numbers and looking at the fact  that all the Hz in the world don't matter if the platform is sh*t. The G4 at 1.67 Ghz was kicking the P4 at 3.2's arse. If they had developed a dual core G4 for the laptop market, and created a stopgap between the G5 and PA6T then maybe Apple would be great, today they are rich but their latest product quality has slid downhill. Teh fact of teh matter is the first gen x86 Macs provided little benefit over the previous generation, the quad G5 beat out the Xeon in all areas tested. Your average computer buyer probably has teh IQ of 90 or above, and thats being generous and I can guarantee that the new x86 crap out there is made in some no name village in China or Thailand to someone who makes less than $100 a week.

No wonder the AMiga community declined, we have so many deluded members who want us to go the way of BeOS, which died due to moving to x86 and directly going against Windows and Linux. Its a no-brainer that we share many parallels with the BeOS group, small size, highly literate users and a huge division between what soem people want to go against Windows yet again and the sensible group who believes that, for the time being they don;t stand a chance in hell. We are in a similar, although somewhat better predicament.
My machines:
PowerMac G4 MDD 1.5ghz 1.25GB 10.5.8 & MOS 2.7
Mac Mini C2D 10.6.8 2GHz 3GB 250GB HDD
MacBook Retina 16GB 256GB SSD 10.8
iPad 2
Underground Gamer invites (a classic game site) PM

Need a part for a PC or Mac? PM me, I\'ll let you know if I come across it.

OS X trumps Windows on every level.

MorphOS, OS4 and Classic Amiga systems are the only ones who are real \'Amigas\', not that joke AROS or Amiga Forever.

Offline itix

• Show only replies by itix
« Reply #94 on: August 09, 2011, 10:59:24 PM »
Quote from: Kesa;653825
Sure you can argue that you can buy an add on xcore kit and save money but it's just not the same as it wouldn't work anywhere as good as the X1000 Xena would.

How good it is?
My Amigas: A500, Mac Mini and PowerBook

Offline Tension

« Reply #95 on: August 09, 2011, 11:07:17 PM »
No, BeOS died because it had no software. Simple.

Offline dreamcast270mhz

« Reply #96 on: August 09, 2011, 11:15:54 PM »
Actually, BeOS did and does have a comparable selection of software. Emulators, video editors, video players, e-mail, modern browsers. They even have Firefox, Thunderbird, and other software we continue to lack.
My machines:
iPad 2

MorphOS, OS4 and Classic Amiga systems are the only ones who are real \'Amigas\', not that joke AROS or Amiga Forever.

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #97 on: August 09, 2011, 11:16:42 PM »
Quote from: Tension;653845
No, BeOS died because it had no software. Simple.
Probably both, actually - no software because all the support was for Windows, couldn't get support because it couldn't compete with Windows because it had no software. It's a vicious cycle that affects a lot of nascent platforms if they don't have a real killer app. Hell, even the IBM PC languished for well over a year until Lotus 1-2-3 gave people an incentive to look into it.
Quote from: dreamcast270mhz;653846
Actually, BeOS did and does have a  comparable selection of software. Emulators, video editors, video  players, e-mail, modern browsers. They even have Firefox, Thunderbird,  and other software we continue to lack.
Compared to OS4, yes, but OS4 was a niche market from the get-go. The relevant comparison for BeOS at the time was Windows or Mac OS, both of which had far greater commercial support (and open-source development didn't really take off until the end of BeOS's lifespan.)
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 11:21:54 PM by commodorejohn »
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #98 on: August 10, 2011, 12:02:15 AM »
Quote from: Framiga;653685
mhh! reading between the lines, it "seems" that jorkany and persia are not interested in the X1000. ok then .... next!!!

A typical response to anyone who questions the reasoning behind the creation of, or desire to purchase an X1000.  

So anyone who raises such questions should be ignored and their questions should be erased from all threads about the X1000, so all the Hyperion and A-Eon fans should never have to see them?

Very often in these threads, exaggerations and incorrect information is given by people that really don't know what they are talking about, so it is only natural for others that know the correct information to step in and offer the correct information.  This is almost always seen as an attack on the product and people that would rather just believe the incorrect information (even if this is not exactly what has happened in this thread).

Don't be too quick to criticize others that are offering their opinions and the information that they know, even when you do not agree with them.

Edit:  My point is:  we should criticize less and accept information that is offered as helpful, or informational.  If you don't agree with what is being written as a FACT, and not an opinion, then provide the proof to dispute such incorrect facts.  Arguing with opinions is usually just a waste of time for everyone.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 12:27:35 AM by amigadave »
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline dreamcast270mhz

« Reply #99 on: August 10, 2011, 12:17:37 AM »
Amigadave,

Well put. I wish that some members wouldn't criticize people's choices of hardware. How would you like it if we criticized your choice of ice cream?
My machines:
iPad 2

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #100 on: August 10, 2011, 12:28:53 AM »
Quote from: dreamcast270mhz;653861
Amigadave,

Well put. I wish that some members wouldn't criticize people's choices of hardware. How would you like it if we criticized your choice of ice cream?

That would be difficult, as I love almost all flavors of ICE CREAM!  :roflmao:

I will add that people that are not interested in purchasing products in the topics of threads should be careful and mindful of the feelings of those people that ARE interested in purchasing such products and adjust the way they post is such threads.  You don't have to refrain from participating in the discussions, but please don't join in just to piss someone off for the fun of it.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 12:31:46 AM by amigadave »
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show only replies by Kesa
« Reply #101 on: August 10, 2011, 12:38:44 AM »
Quote from: amigadave;653855
A typical response to anyone who questions the reasoning behind the creation of, or desire to purchase an X1000.  

So anyone who raises such questions should be ignored and their questions should be erased from all threads about the X1000, so all the Hyperion and A-Eon fans should never have to see them?

Very often in these threads, exaggerations and incorrect information is given by people that really don't know what they are talking about, so it is only natural for others that know the correct information to step in and offer the correct information.  This is almost always seen as an attack on the product and people that would rather just believe the incorrect information (even if this is not exactly what has happened in this thread).

Don't be too quick to criticize others that are offering their opinions and the information that they know, even when you do not agree with them.

Edit:  My point is:  we should criticize less and accept information that is offered as helpful, or informational.  If you don't agree with what is being written as a FACT, and not an opinion, then provide the proof to dispute such incorrect facts.  Arguing with opinions is usually just a waste of time for everyone.

Actually i thought Framigas comment was right on. The purpose of this thread was to announce an update on the production of a new product and then it was hijacked by pessimists. Please take it somewhere else.
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.

Offline Tripitaka

• Show only replies by Tripitaka
    • http://acidapple.com
« Reply #102 on: August 10, 2011, 12:41:27 AM »
Quote from: amigadave;653862
That would be difficult, as I love almost all flavors of ICE CREAM!  :roflmao:

I don't believe you buddy, not one bit.

http://www.who-sucks.com/food/101-frightening-ice-cream-flavors-from-around-the-world

..and yeah I know that was off topic but I think your going to have to click the link anyway as curiosity will get the better of you.
Falling into a dark and red rage.

Offline dreamcast270mhz

« Reply #103 on: August 10, 2011, 01:12:45 AM »
@Amigadave

Just thought about my analogy and ghave decided x86 AROS machines are about as close to a classic/MOS/OS4 amiga as Mayo is to ice cream.
My machines:
iPad 2

Offline magnetic

• Show only replies by magnetic
« Reply #104 on: August 10, 2011, 01:28:57 AM »
kesa

Its hard to be an optimist when the project has gone completely off track and was hyped like mad a while back and there has been no movement. I actually was excited for X1000 when first announced but now seems rather lame and looks as if the porting is going rough..
bPlan Pegasos2 G4@1ghz
Quad Boot:Reg. MorphOS | OS4.1 U4 |Ubuntu GNU-Linux | MacOS X

Amiga 2000 Rom Switcher w/ 3.1 + 1.3 | HardFrame SCSI | CBM Ram board| A Squared LIVE! 2000 | Vlab Motion | Firecracker 24 gfx

Commodore CDTV: 68010 | ECS | 9mb Ram | SCSI -TV | 3.9 Rom | Developer EPROMs