Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: It's 20 years on, and Windows still doesn't have...  (Read 13275 times)

Description:

Offline danwood

• Show all replies
Re: It's 20 years on, and Windows still doesn't have...
« on: July 23, 2012, 09:12:48 AM »
Two things I miss when on Windows:

1) Shift + Backspace to delete a string of text behind me

2) Drag and drop into file requesters!  This is a big one, if I find a file using Workbench/Ambient I can then open a file requester in an app and just drag it onto it and it will load it.  In Windows I have to navigate to that file a second time, even though I may have the folder already open on my screen, very annoying.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 09:19:35 AM by danwood »

Offline danwood

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 09:00:29 AM »
Quote from: Trev;701045
@danwood

Drag and drop into the application itself?

Works in apps that choose to support it, sadly, not all do, or they have inconsistent behaviour, dragging a file into an open Wordpad window results in the icon being embedded in the text Window, not the text itself!
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 09:04:54 AM by danwood »

Offline danwood

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 08:14:55 AM »
Quote from: rvo_nl;701160
Reading some comments here I cant help but think you are all still using a very old version of Windows. Some of you are even comparing it to AmigaOS, which is plain ridiculous. For example; okay, so Windows lacks a way to save multiple sets of preferences for videoplayers, in the way the Amiga does when saving screenmode prefs, for example. But do you all realise its not even possible to play back any modern video on an Amiga, even without subtitles? Windows may not be perfect, and for sure is not much 'fun' to use (like AmigaOS) but it IS the most advanced, complete and evolved operating system around these days. And Windows7 is very speedy indeed on my 2006 pc. I even use IE9 and I think its alright.

It's only fast because they "threw hardware at it", lighter OSes run rings around Windows speed-wise on modern hardware.  

I'd argue OS X is more advanced and complete personally, but each to their own.

Offline danwood

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2012, 08:18:49 AM »
Quote from: desiv;701224
Really?
I was using Windows before 3.1 (started with Windows 286), and while it was fun to play with, I wouldn't use the word great..  And I did a LOT of work with 3.1. ( and 3.11 - WFW networking was fun...)

At least not until possibly 98 2nd Edition..  That was really good...
(I can see people thinking 95 was great, but I didn't think it was there yet..)

Yeah, 2k was very stable, but there was too much it couldn't do for my tastes..

I'd class XP as a really great OS tho...  Once they got past the initial compatibility issues (got the vendors to update their drivers.. ) that is..

That said, I think Workbench 2.0 was pretty far ahead of the competition from MS...

desiv

Totally agree, even "Mr Windows" Paul Thurrott (a former Amiga head) agrees that Windows 3.1 was "a joke" (in his words) compared to the Amiga.

My first Windows PC ran Win 98 (first edition) and it was a nightmare to use, I'd get BSODs at least a few times each day, I ended up going back to my A1200 as my main machine for a few more years, it wasn't until XP that I started using a Windows PC as my main computer.

Offline danwood

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2012, 11:17:55 PM »
Quote from: LoadWB;701269
You have a link to that quote?  Might make for an interesting read.

It was on an episode of Windows Weekly podcast iirc, can't remember the episode number sadly, but it was sometimes last summer.

Offline danwood

• Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2012, 12:12:48 PM »
Quote from: stefcep2;701493
there isn't a single os that doesn't crash

ftfy