Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Take 2 Animation software gifted to the Amiga Community  (Read 5809 times)

Description:

Offline kamelito

Re: Take 2 Animation software gifted to the Amiga Community
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2015, 05:04:18 PM »
Quote from: IanP;797588
Very interesting and enjoyable presentation. It would make the basis for a great set of tutorial videos.

The code is an amazing job by Geert Vergauwe. There can't be many applications of that complexity written in pure assembler. I hope it gets further improvements.

I suppose that the next step is to put it in a revision control system, then report bug and ask for features.

Kamelito

Offline Thorham

• Show only replies by Thorham
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2015, 05:14:46 PM »
Quote from: dschallock;797495
The program is written in assembler.  The author used Macro68 to compile.
Finally something written in a REAL language :cool:

Offline dschallockTopic starter

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2015, 09:01:19 PM »
Quote from: kamelito;797621
I suppose that the next step is to put it in a revision control system, then report bug and ask for features.

Kamelito

Great idea Kamelito, which would you recommend?

Offline klx300r

• Amiga 1000+AmigaOne X1000
    • Show only replies by klx300r
    • http://mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2015, 03:51:22 AM »
@ dschallock

thanks for preserving this great software for future Amigans:)
--- www.mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca ---
  -AspireOS.com & Amikit- Amiga for your netbook-
***X1000- I BELIEVE *** :angel:

Offline kamelito

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2015, 07:31:36 AM »
Quote from: dschallock;797689
Great idea Kamelito, which would you recommend?

Sourceforge
Kamelito

Offline mingle

• Show only replies by mingle
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2015, 09:15:03 AM »
Great stuff...

The cynic in me hopes that it isn't purloined by a third-party, then updated and sold for profit...

Mike.

« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2015, 02:40:03 PM »
Quote from: mingle;797708
Great stuff...

The cynic in me hopes that it isn't purloined by a third-party, then updated and sold for profit...

Mike.

We won't let that happen.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 03:32:59 PM by eliyahu »

Offline broadblues

« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2015, 03:16:54 PM »
We won't let that happen. %&$#?@!%&$#?@!%&$#?@!128521;

You just shoved the src code online without any kind of license or even copyright notice as far as I can see. That's not really a good idea.

Offline broadblues

« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2015, 03:17:29 PM »

We won't let that happen. %&$#?@!%&$#?@!%&$#?@!128521;

You just shoved the src code online without any kind of license or even copyright notice as far as I can see. That's not really a good idea.

« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2015, 03:50:38 PM »
Quote from: broadblues;797719

Hi Broadblues, Thanks for your input and concern about this.  I certainly want to make sure the wishes of the author who has been so generous is respected first and foremost.

The author has asked that the final release of the executable and the source code be given as a gift to the Amiga community.  His only request was that if we "the community" modify or evolve the program that we share our versions with him as he would be curious to see where it could go.

Based on that very specific request I have taken 3 actions.

1) I released the executable and the source code.

2) I have created a simple website containing the above files plus a disclaimer plus a link to coding forum thread on amiga.org in order to try and track any developments with the source code so I can help facilitate emailing new versions back to the author as requested.  The Author has *not* made it a requirement that people modifying this "gifted source code" share it back to him, he has requested it.

3) I included this disclaimer/request based on the author's request.
   [SIZE=+1][SIZE=-1]DISCLAIMER: You use all of  this  software at your own risk. I assume no responsibility of any lost data, crashes or other events that may or may not happen due to the  use this program or the modification of this source code. Geert Vergauwe has asked that we "The Amiga community", share what we do  with the source code with him.  A very reasonable request in my opinion. As such, I request that modified builds be shared with me through the  contact above so I can keep the author informed. Lastly, and very importantly, since Mr. Vergauwe continues to develop  this software which has been re-written, commercially for Mac and PC, we  must never use this source code to attempt to develop something on the  those platforms in a commercial way.

[/SIZE][/SIZE][SIZE=-1]It is also important to note that Mr. [/SIZE][SIZE=+1][SIZE=-1]Vergauwe's current development of his commercial software (take5) on the pc and mac is not based on any assembler code from take2.  So none of his commercial assests are at risk in the giving of this software and source code to the Amiga community.  Which of course was something the author thought through and decided upon before releasing it.

So perhaps I have not used the right wording or terminology on the website to properly indicate that this program and its source code are released as "free" and "open source" but clearly that is the intent of the author and there was no strings attached, only a kind request.

Thoughts?
[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Offline broadblues

« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2015, 04:38:05 PM »
Thoughts?

You should include the sentiments expressed in that post in a more formal License.readme in the archive with the src code. Then there can be no doubt. You might want to discuss with the original author whether a preexisting license form such as the GPL might suit or if it should have acustom license (as AWeb did for example).

« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2015, 05:34:22 PM »
Quote from: broadblues;797737
You should include the sentiments expressed in that post in a more formal License.readme in the archive with the src code. Then there can be no doubt. You might want to discuss with the original author whether a preexisting license form such as the GPL might suit or if it should have acustom license (as AWeb did for example).

Good ideas, and I appreciate the help in handling this the best way possible.

Here is what I have done immediately and what I am going to do.

1) I have modified the take2.zip and take2_source.zip to include a license.readme file that reads:
   Take2 animation software and source code was written by Geert Vergauwe and subsequently gifted to the "Amiga community" for use, enjoyment, and modification so long as it always remains "opensource freeware".
Additionally the author has requested that we "the Amiga community" share modified versions of the software with him geert(at)cellsoft(dot)be.  Mr. Vergauwe actively develops a more modern version of take2 called "take5" for the PC and Mac.  As such I ask that all users of this software and source code please remain respectful of Mr. Vergauwe's software and generosity. *When in doubt, ask*.
I (Dan Schallock) have set up a web space (http://www.danschallock.com/amiga/take2/index.html) with intention of sharing this gift with the community as well as act as hub for modification and development of the source code so we always share the results with Mr. Vergauwe as per his request.

Thank you.
Dan

2) I am going to email Mr. Vergauwe and ask if this license.readme is fine with him "as is" or if he would prefer we utilize one of the existing licenses as you mentioned.

Thank you again for your help with this!
-Daniel

Offline Acill

« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2015, 07:38:51 PM »
How difficult would it be to get this running on 4.x and MorphOS?
Proud Retired Navy Chief!

A4000T - CSPPC - Mediator
Powerbook G4 15", 17"
Powermac G5 2GHZ
AmigaOne X5000
Need Amiga recap or other services in the US? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com and take a look or on facebook at http://facebook.com/acillclassics

Offline kamelito

« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2015, 08:31:08 PM »
Quote from: Acill;797755
How difficult would it be to get this running on 4.x and MorphOS?

You'll have to try it out. The things that might not work is the interface and communication with the digitizer HW (vidi) other than that the code seems to be system friendly.

IF you mean translating the 68k code to C for NG Amiga then it's a lot of work since there's more than 46K of assembly lines.
Kamel

Offline Acill

« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2015, 11:16:21 PM »
So maybe some custom code to make the digitization device work, that would be nice.
Proud Retired Navy Chief!

A4000T - CSPPC - Mediator
Powerbook G4 15", 17"
Powermac G5 2GHZ
AmigaOne X5000
Need Amiga recap or other services in the US? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com and take a look or on facebook at http://facebook.com/acillclassics

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #29 from previous page: October 20, 2015, 11:25:06 PM »
Quote from: Thorham;797622
Finally something written in a REAL language :cool:

Again, one of those rare times I agree with Thorham.
68K assembly may have been the last machine code worth the trouble of learning.

And well written assembly code is SO much more efficient than a compiled higher language that it really made a difference in the old days.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"