Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: BetterWB - release 1.0  (Read 12420 times)

Description:

Offline GulliverTopic starter

BetterWB - release 1.0
« on: February 08, 2011, 11:57:21 PM »
BetterWB release 1.0 - 08.02.2011

BetterWB is a new workbench pack, much like AIAB, Amikit, AmigaSYS, ClassicWB, etc. but applying a totally different aproach.

It aims to be much like an enhancement, an updated extension to AmigaOS 3.1, without all those hardware requirement penalties tipically associated with these kind of packs. It is indeed a better 3.1 than 3.1 itself!

http://lilliput.amiga-projects.net/BetterWB.htm

This is my pet project, it took me just 2 days to assemble. Just voice your opinion if you think it is useless or whatever.
I will be glad to hear your comments, either good or bad.

Thanks

Re: BetterWB - release 1.0
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 01:14:05 AM »
@TheGoose
Well, that was the idea, If you want eye candy, you know what and where to get it. Getting better performance with low resources, that is difficult.

@XDelusion
You are right, I never thought of it, but as you said, it is also interesting for devices that run UAE on limited resources or limited ports of UAE

@Dannyp1
Thanks Dan :)

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 10:14:55 AM »
Quote from: Franko;614247
Just downloaded it and I'll give a try on one of my miggies when the new HDs arrive from motrucker... :)

I really like what you've done here, in particular the "no eye candy" as I'm not into that stuff on my miggies, looks and sounds like an excellent piece of work, nicely put together and hat's off to you for doing so... :)

(PS:you should really be a bit more positive with your wording on your homepage, don't put your own work down be proud of it and say so... :))

I am glad you like the concept.

PS :I am sorry if it sounded too negative, It is not about not being proud of my work (I am proud of it), it is about telling the user what are they going to come across, just to avoid complaints for the missing eye candy stuff people expect from these type of packs. :)

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, 01:52:24 AM »
@All
Thank you for your comments. Iam glad you find BetterWB meaningfull.

@TheBilgeRat
Don't create partitions greater than 2GB(Dos Limitation).
Harddrives are the ones which are supported for upto 8GB.

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2011, 05:30:24 AM »
Small bugfix update of BetterWB (ver1.01):

I managed to screw up Amiga file protection bits. If you are using version 1.0 just open a CLI window and execute the following command:

protect SYS:#? +rwe ALL

That should fix it all.
Anyway, the floppy sets have been bugfixed accordingly so that if you are installing BetterWB for the first time, you get it all okay now.

I am sorry for any inconviniences. :)

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 04:11:44 PM »
Well, I couldnt find any source of good 4 colour workbench 3.1 icons, and some of them were borrowed from MagicWB, if you happen to find proper replacements, please let me know, so I fix the offending ones.

BTW, I am glad you like it. :)

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2011, 04:26:15 PM »
:D

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2011, 04:09:36 AM »
@XDelusion
It is a bug.
Simple fix is to issue on a CLI window the following command:

protect SYS:#? +rwe ALL

That should fix it. (BTW version 1.01 is available which fixes this issue).

@Cammy
Thank you for your generous offer!
There is a user who has contacted me before, and told me he was making a 4 colour iconset for this pack. So I will wait for him a bit.
In the end if nothing happens, I will be more than happy to include them. They are really cool.
Thank you.

@TheGoose
I believe it is just a problem of the format command that does not support >4GB drives (as everything else is ready for >4GB HDDs).
I suggest as a temporary fix to use this:
http://aminet.net/disk/misc/Format64.lha

It should work now.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 04:15:03 AM by Gulliver »

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2011, 04:38:04 PM »
Quote from: TheBilgeRat;617693
Hey Gulliver!

I've been playing around with the betterWB and found the unixDirs3 in the commodities drawer.  Pardon my ignorance, but if I throw that baby into my startup folder, do I get an AmigaDos CLI that behaves like a unix command line?

No, what you get is Unix style paths, like: cd.., cd..., cd...., *, etc., from the usual CLI. For more information, just read the UnixDirs3.guide located in your SYS:Locale/Help/

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2011, 05:49:18 PM »
Quote from: TheBilgeRat;617699
Can't read them for some reason.  Opening the mwith multiview gives me the front pages, but then it complains and says that they cannot be opened.  Must be something in my setup.

Multiview fails on very low memory conditions. If that is the case, then boot without startup-sequence by holding both mouse buttons and the run multiview from the cli. Another solution, not ideal though, is to open the .guide with a text editor such as ed, textengine, or microemacs.

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2011, 03:38:05 PM »
@XDelusion
That bug has now been fixed in version 2.0

@All
BetterWB 2.0 thread is available here

http://www.amiga.org/forums/showthread.php?p=639108#post639108

Thanks