Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: BetterWB - release 1.0  (Read 12313 times)

Description:

Offline GulliverTopic starter

BetterWB - release 1.0
« on: February 08, 2011, 11:57:21 PM »
BetterWB release 1.0 - 08.02.2011

BetterWB is a new workbench pack, much like AIAB, Amikit, AmigaSYS, ClassicWB, etc. but applying a totally different aproach.

It aims to be much like an enhancement, an updated extension to AmigaOS 3.1, without all those hardware requirement penalties tipically associated with these kind of packs. It is indeed a better 3.1 than 3.1 itself!

http://lilliput.amiga-projects.net/BetterWB.htm

This is my pet project, it took me just 2 days to assemble. Just voice your opinion if you think it is useless or whatever.
I will be glad to hear your comments, either good or bad.

Thanks

Offline TheGoose

• Show only replies by TheGoose
    • http://www.amiga.org/forums/blog.php?u=827
Re: BetterWB - release 1.0
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 12:24:10 AM »
Looks good to me, great idea. I'm glad you didn't add "eye candy" stuff. Let users pick and choose that stuff out.
G1200, A3000D, A1200 PPC AOS4.0C

I\'m on Google +

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 12:33:21 AM »
"-Low end Amiga computers that are left in storage deprived from any usage, and only regarded as antiques"

I think that about accounts for them all! ;)

Seriously though, this is a great idea. I've not tested it out, all my Amiga's have accelerator's, but I can see a need for this especially for devices running uae that have limited resources themselves such as the XBOX Classic.
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline dannyp1

• Show only replies by dannyp1
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 01:09:04 AM »
Nice job Gully!

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 01:14:05 AM »
@TheGoose
Well, that was the idea, If you want eye candy, you know what and where to get it. Getting better performance with low resources, that is difficult.

@XDelusion
You are right, I never thought of it, but as you said, it is also interesting for devices that run UAE on limited resources or limited ports of UAE

@Dannyp1
Thanks Dan :)

Offline spihunter

• Show only replies by spihunter
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2011, 01:45:55 AM »
This looks great! this is just what I'm looking for. It's nice to have an add on for regualar 3.1 that just adds the basics.

Offline TheBilgeRat

• Show only replies by TheBilgeRat
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2011, 03:54:09 AM »
very cool!  I will give it a go here soon when I get my 3.1 ROMS in the mail and upgrade to 3.1

Offline Franko

• Show only replies by Franko
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2011, 04:22:17 AM »
Just downloaded it and I'll give a try on one of my miggies when the new HDs arrive from motrucker... :)

I really like what you've done here, in particular the "no eye candy" as I'm not into that stuff on my miggies, looks and sounds like an excellent piece of work, nicely put together and hat's off to you for doing so... :)

(PS:you should really be a bit more positive with your wording on your homepage, don't put your own work down be proud of it and say so... :))

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2011, 04:33:11 AM »
Quote from: Franko;614247

(PS:you should really be a bit more positive with your wording on your homepage, don't put your own work down be proud of it and say so... :))

Ya, don't be afraid to let your hair down, kick off your high heels, and scream,"I am a woman"! Be proud, be independent, and most of all, be you! It's empowering!
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2011, 10:14:55 AM »
Quote from: Franko;614247
Just downloaded it and I'll give a try on one of my miggies when the new HDs arrive from motrucker... :)

I really like what you've done here, in particular the "no eye candy" as I'm not into that stuff on my miggies, looks and sounds like an excellent piece of work, nicely put together and hat's off to you for doing so... :)

I am glad you like the concept.

PS :I am sorry if it sounded too negative, It is not about not being proud of my work (I am proud of it), it is about telling the user what are they going to come across, just to avoid complaints for the missing eye candy stuff people expect from these type of packs. :)

Offline TCMSLP

• Show only replies by TCMSLP
    • http://www.coherer.net
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2011, 11:03:04 AM »
This looks fantastic!  Just what I need!
A1200 50MHz 68030 16Mb, PCMCIA Ethernet, Indivision AGA MkIIcr
http://www.coherer.net Coherer: Electro!

Offline nicholas

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2011, 12:04:29 PM »
Excellent work as always Gulliver! :)
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline ognix

• Show only replies by ognix
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2011, 02:10:16 PM »
Good job for a 2 days work, and good targets behind it!
Go on!

BY!

Offline Bigbronc

• Show only replies by Bigbronc
    • http://www.AnyNameAnyState.com
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2011, 02:55:32 PM »
Seriously though, this is a great idea. I've not tested it out, all my Amiga's have accelerator's, but I can see a need for this especially for devices running uae that have limited resources themselves such as the XBOX Classic.[/QUOTE]

I just got a old xbox, how do I convert it to be a Amiga?
:python:

Offline J-Golden

• TOP SECRET USER!!!
    • Show only replies by J-Golden
    • http://about.me/J.Golden
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2011, 03:08:51 PM »
Quote from: Bigbronc;614386
I just got a old xbox, how do I convert it to be a Amiga?

You will first need to mod the Xbox.  Either Soft or Chip, it doesn't matter.  Then load a Dashboard onto it that will run UAE-X and then UAE!

There are a lot more stps then that, btu that is the gist of it.

If you have never moded an Xbox before, PM me and I can give you a few pointers.
AMIGA: (NOUN) THE FIRST COMPUTER THAT BRIDGED THE GAP BETWEEN HUMANITY AND TECHNOLOGY.

I'm a dyslectic, phonetic spelling English Major. It's funny 'cause it's TRUE!:roflmao:

WWBD?