Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Funny but true  (Read 4088 times)

Description:

Offline PyromaniaTopic starter

• Sent from my Quantum Computer
    • Show only replies by Pyromania
    • http://www.discreetfx.com

Offline MiAmigo

• Arbiter of Succession
    • Show only replies by MiAmigo
Re: Funny but true
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2012, 06:13:05 AM »

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2012, 08:58:07 AM »
That's about the size of it...
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline gertsy

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by gertsy
    • http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~gbakker64/
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2012, 02:27:30 PM »
Gee, they had HTML5 in 1996 ?

Offline commodorejohn

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2012, 07:42:51 PM »
Quote from: gertsy;708216
AOL was just that forward-thinking...
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2012, 12:25:41 PM »
Quote from: gertsy;708216

They (almost) had HTML5 when they had HTML1 ;)

Let's face it, from 1-4 they added lots of cruft for styling and such and turned it into a total dog's dinner. Then a wild CSS appeared and suddenly almost all of those additional formatting tags died the agonizing death they deserved.

In their place, HTML5 adds a few for improved document structure and a few tags for multimedia related stuff and retained a few structural additions of previous versions.

The bottom line though, is that a basic HTML5 document is far closer to vanilla HTML 1 than it is anything after.
int p; // A

Offline bbond007

• Show only replies by bbond007
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2012, 05:04:23 PM »
Quote from: Pyromania;708180
http://www.thefunnyblog.org/2012/05/14/funny-windows-8-2012-vs-aol-1996-fail/

Actually, it kind of reminds me of the old Prodigy online service... (which i could find a better screen shot)

or this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hj7c0J_V1L8

I have been running Windows 8 preview on my early 2009 mac mini.

The performance is great, although it was freezing up quite frequently but enabling "Hyper-V" fixed that issue. No idea why that solved the problem...

The biggest drawback to windows 8 is great distances you have to move the mouse to get anything accomplished.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 05:07:05 PM by bbond007 »

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2012, 07:45:28 PM »

Offline k4lmp

• Show only replies by k4lmp
    • http://www.k4lmp.org
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2012, 12:00:26 AM »
Very nice.  I also installed W8 under Virtualbox.  I don't like it at all.  Prolly be OK on a tablet or such, but not for me on a desktop or laptop.

Offline ferrellsl

• DavidseltyAJ
    • Show only replies by ferrellsl
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2012, 12:29:59 AM »
Yep, Windows 8 on the desktop will be a huge flop.  Tried it out and I hate it.  MS just can't seem to figure out what they want to do with 8....make it a tablet OS or a desktop OS.  In my opinion it does neither well.

Offline PyromaniaTopic starter

• Sent from my Quantum Computer
    • Show only replies by Pyromania
    • http://www.discreetfx.com
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2012, 03:17:53 AM »
To maximize stability and entertainment value don't forget to buy two of them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1zxDa3t0fg

Offline Lurch

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Lurch
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2012, 10:24:53 AM »
Loving it on my laptop, it's actually very easy to use. I'm lucky enough to be old enough to have gone through the Windows 3.11 to Windows 95 change which also had the same comments flying around.

"Oh the start menu will never work, it will be a flop" etc ;-)

The start menu is still there, it's the metro UI (or whatever they want to call it now), click on the desktop app, hover the mouse where the start menu usually is, up pops the metro menu.

Run the mouse pointer down the left hand side of the screen and up pops the new task bar with large icon previews of each app, which is far more informative than the old.

Run the mouse pointer down the right hand side brings up settings for apps and the computer depending on what app you're currently in. PC settings down the bottom brings up the control panel.

Pin anything you like to the metro menu, expand out and see all apps. I've created groups and added the games and apps I need.

Many more cool things.

Anyway, doesn't matter what I say there will be some replies complaining and as per history the same old arguments will come up.

All this will calm down and people will adapt just like they did when the start menu appeared.

There's always the odd few stuck in their ways, these same people will more than likely  prefer Windows 3.11.

I've seen 5 year old's adapt to windows 8 like fish to water. Some have never used a computer before but they seemed to find it more natural.

Anyway things are changing and we will move further and further away from what we see a computer as being today.

I can't stand sitting at a desk anymore.
-=[LurcH]=-
A500 Plus Black 030@40MHz 128MB | A1200T 060@80MHz 320MB | Pegasos II G4@1GHz 1GB  | Amiga Future Sub

Offline Bamiga2002

• Show only replies by Bamiga2002
    • http://rutinskiband.net
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2012, 10:29:10 AM »
Quote from: Lurch;708777
...I can't stand sitting at a desk anymore.
How do you play games then? Standing and moving your fingers on a pad (oops it just fell down!)? :)
CD32
A500

Offline commodorejohn

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2012, 10:42:58 AM »
Quote from: Lurch;708777
Loving it on my laptop, it's actually very easy to use. I'm lucky enough to be old enough to have gone through the Windows 3.11 to Windows 95 change which also had the same comments flying around.

"Oh the start menu will never work, it will be a flop" etc ;-)
The Start menu stuck around because it was a big improvement on Windows 3.1's Program Manager - saved space, improved organization, and allowed quick navigation while preserving all the important functionality. "Metro" is exactly the opposite - it wastes a crapload of space, impedes navigation, adds whiz-bang layout gimmickry at the expense of organization, and does absolutely nothing at all to improve on the old Start menu.

The start menu is still there, it's the metro UI (or whatever they want to call it now), click on the desktop app, hover the mouse where the start menu usually is, up pops the metro menu.
Yes, and now it uses all your screen space to display less information than it did in less than half of it before. And you can't turn it off. WHAT AN IMPROVEMENT.

Run the mouse pointer down the left hand side of the screen and up pops the new task bar with large icon previews of each app, which is far more informative than the old.
If you need cramped little thumbnails of windows to tell you what you have open, you're either illiterate or have too many similarly-titled windows open.

Run the mouse pointer down the right hand side brings up settings for apps and the computer depending on what app you're currently in. PC settings down the bottom brings up the control panel.
And I'm sure the integration of mouse gestures into the OS by a company that famously sucks at UI innovation won't get annoying at all. Especially not with their new "oh, we just don't allow you to turn off the glitzy new crap anymore" attitude.

Pin anything you like to the metro menu, expand out and see all apps. I've created groups and added the games and apps I need.
Gee, that's kind of like exactly how the Start menu has always worked, only now it's a giant, disorganized waste of space! Huzzah!

Anyway, doesn't matter what I say there will be some replies complaining and as per history the same old arguments will come up.
The fact that there have always been codgers and there will always be codgers has absolutely no bearing on whether or not the codgers are right. In this case, the codgers are absolutely dead on.

All this will calm down and people will adapt just like they did when the start menu appeared.
That remains to be seen. Vista has already shown that Microsoft isn't as all-powerful as they like to think.

I've seen 5 year old's adapt to windows 8 like fish to water. Some have never used a computer before but they seemed to find it more natural.
Yes, I suppose if you've never been exposed to a good GUI, it probably is easier to get used to a bad one.

Anyway things are changing and we will move further and further away from what we see a computer as being today.
"Things are changing" - the perpetual fallback argument of the futurist. Yes, things are changing, they're always changing - but the mere fact that something is happening does not make it good.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 10:47:13 AM by commodorejohn »

Offline Lurch

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Lurch
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2012, 10:46:13 AM »
Quote from: Bamiga2002;708778
How do you play games then? Standing and moving your fingers on a pad (oops it just fell down!)? :)

Old school Amiga, sitting on a bean bag with a joystick.

PC gaming with a laptop in the lounge.

On the move it's either the PSP or Android phone.

I just can't bring myself to sit in a computer chair at a desk, have done that for far too long :-)
-=[LurcH]=-
A500 Plus Black 030@40MHz 128MB | A1200T 060@80MHz 320MB | Pegasos II G4@1GHz 1GB  | Amiga Future Sub