Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A-EON Boing Ball Mouse for Classic Amigas  (Read 6696 times)

Description:

Offline Leffmann

• Show all replies
Re: A-EON Boing Ball Mouse for Classic Amigas
« on: September 06, 2015, 02:17:56 PM »
I see it's a 1000 DPI mouse, but does the adapter scale the DPI down, or will I get a pointer 4-5 times the speed of the older Amiga mice?

It's not a problem in Workbench, but games usually just assume you're using the original 200 or so DPI mouse.

Offline Leffmann

• Show all replies
Re: A-EON Boing Ball Mouse for Classic Amigas
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2015, 10:14:53 AM »
I see what they've done here. The Amiga mouse interface has two 8-bit  counters for horizontal and vertical movement, and they've simply  discarded the least significant bit in both sets of 8 bits, and used  them to signal the status of the mouse-wheel.

It reduces the  accuracy in half, and when you move the mouse slow it will snap into a  perfect horizontal or vertical motion. If you move it slow enough you  should be able to move the mouse across the whole desk without the  pointer moving a single pixel. In some situations, moving the wheel may  also cause the pointer to move or jitter.

It's hardly the end of  the world, but it is an embarassingly poor solution. Why not just send  those signals in serial on a separate pin, just like the CD32 pad does  with all its extra buttons? That was Commodore's own working  solution, ready to be used.