Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: DF0 ???? Errors--New Setup  (Read 3160 times)

Description:

Offline dungeonmaster9000Topic starter

• Show only replies by dungeonmaster9000
DF0 ???? Errors--New Setup
« on: April 21, 2011, 01:56:39 AM »
I recently salvaged my dad's old Amiga 3000 from the basement along with a haul of games, however when I boot this thing up two things happen:

1: Message at workbench boot, "Please insert drive ops into any slot, RETRY/CANCEL" I remember this happening all the time about 10 years ago when I played Amiga games and just ignored it.

However, 2: The inserted floppy disk, in either the front DF0 or the attached external DF2 icon on the workbench show as ???? for every single thing I load. I've looked around for an exact solution to this problem and haven't found it, alot of stuff is very technical and I'm sure this thing worked less than 5 years ago in the same setup. Any idea what this means/what I can do?

Offline SamuraiCrow

• Show only replies by SamuraiCrow
Re: DF0 ???? Errors--New Setup
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 02:01:05 AM »
It may mean that your games disk are not formatted for loading from Workbench.  Try booting directly from the floppy by inserting it before the machine is turned on.

Offline Cammy

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011, 02:05:43 AM »
Your drive heads are probably dirty and it's possible the disks have some fungal growth in them. If you're not up to opening up the drives and cleaning them yourself, you should buy a floppy drive cleaning kit which has a cleaning disk in it.

This problem is what everyone gets after pulling their Amiga out of storage, it's very possible the solution is the same too.

http://cgi.ebay.com/3-5-Floppy-disk-drive-cleaner-clean-disc-kit-PC-mac-NEW-/290550911141?pt=PCC_Drives_Storage_Internal&hash=item43a62f10a5
A1200 030@28Mhz/2MB+32MB/RTC/KS3.1/IDE-CF+4GB/4-Way Clockport Expander/IndivisionAGA/PCMCIA NIC
A1200 020@14Mhz/2MB+8MB/FPU/RTC/KS3.0/IDE-CF+2GB/S-Video
CD32 020@14Mhz/2MB+8MB/RTC/KS3.1/IDE-CF+4GB
A600 030@30Mhz/2MB+64MB/RTC/IDE-CF+4GB/Subway USB/S-Video/PCMCIA NIC/USB Numeric Keypad+Hub+Mouse+Control Pad
A500 000@7Mhz/512kB+512kB/ROM Switcher/KS3.1+1.3/S-Video

Get AmigaOS

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 02:11:58 AM »
Quote from: SamuraiCrow;632685
It may mean that your games disk are not formatted for loading from Workbench.  Try booting directly from the floppy by inserting it before the machine is turned on.

It's not this, I know a lot of games are CTRL-A-A to boot and I tried that.

The fungus idea is much more plausible, but I hoped it wasn't that because literally every single game doesn't work. I'm low on cash right now and would hope that if I did go and grab a floppy disk cleaner it would provide the solution, though I guess I might be into cleaning the disk heads if it was relatively simple to get into the machine/clean the heads. I'm not opposed to opening this bad boy up.

Offline Mark

• Show only replies by Mark
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011, 05:48:03 PM »
Quote from: dungeonmaster9000;632684

However, 2: The inserted floppy disk, in either the front DF0 or the attached external DF2 icon on the workbench show as ???? for every single thing I load. I've looked around for an exact solution to this problem and haven't found it, alot of stuff is very technical and I'm sure this thing worked less than 5 years ago in the same setup. Any idea what this means/what I can do?

http://www.amiga.org/forums/showthread.php?p=353021#post353021

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2011, 08:45:54 PM »
Quote from: Mark;632847
http://www.amiga.org/forums/showthread.php?p=353021#post353021

Okay... so they mention here to apply cleaner to the 'switches,' and depress them over and over, what are those? Sorry I'm not down with the terminology.

Offline Mark

• Show only replies by Mark
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2011, 10:02:40 PM »
Quote from: dungeonmaster9000;632886
Okay... so they mention here to apply cleaner to the 'switches,' and depress them over and over, what are those? Sorry I'm not down with the terminology.

As you look into the floppy drive slot from the front of the A3000, at the left front of the drive are two black prongs sticking up.  When a disk is inserted one prong is pushed down, closing a switch that indicates a disk is in the drive.  The second prong will stick up through the write protect hole if the disk is write protected or it will be pressed down if the disk is writable, closing the write protect switch.  If you have a high density drive then there will be another prong and switch at the right front.

It may be possible to clean the switch contacts without cleaner, just by depressing the prongs over and over.  In either case, it's probably best to remove the A3000 cover to get at the switches.

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2011, 11:41:02 PM »
Quote from: Mark;632899
As you look into the floppy drive slot from the front of the A3000, at the left front of the drive are two black prongs sticking up.  When a disk is inserted one prong is pushed down, closing a switch that indicates a disk is in the drive.  The second prong will stick up through the write protect hole if the disk is write protected or it will be pressed down if the disk is writable, closing the write protect switch.  If you have a high density drive then there will be another prong and switch at the right front.

It may be possible to clean the switch contacts without cleaner, just by depressing the prongs over and over.  In either case, it's probably best to remove the A3000 cover to get at the switches.

Done and done, I applied a tiny bit of alcohol and depressed them many times... and now when I boot I get a white screen, no workbench, nothing, with floppy disks in or out of the drive...:angry:

Offline Franko

• Show only replies by Franko
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2011, 11:54:20 PM »
Quote from: dungeonmaster9000;632953
Done and done, I applied a tiny bit of alcohol and depressed them many times... and now when I boot I get a white screen, no workbench, nothing, with floppy disks in or out of the drive...:angry:

Sounds like you may have damaged the switch or managed to get it stuck in the "on" position and on boot up the computer thinks there is a disk in the drive... :(

Can you hear if the drives motor is continually spinning on boot up with no floppy in the drive, if so try and check to see if the switch has been jammed in the on position... :)

PS: Did you remove the floppies connector cable, maybe worth checking you have replaced it correctly if you did... ;)
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 11:56:24 PM by Franko »

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2011, 01:02:50 AM »
Quote from: Franko;632954
Sounds like you may have damaged the switch or managed to get it stuck in the "on" position and on boot up the computer thinks there is a disk in the drive... :(

Can you hear if the drives motor is continually spinning on boot up with no floppy in the drive, if so try and check to see if the switch has been jammed in the on position... :)

PS: Did you remove the floppies connector cable, maybe worth checking you have replaced it correctly if you did... ;)

I've been working on the on-deck floppy drive rather than the external one this time, and I can see both little black pegs are in the 'up' position...

Offline Merc

• Show only replies by Merc
    • http://chebucto.ns.ca/~ah210/Profile.html
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2011, 02:06:13 AM »
If it's both drives, consistently, with any disk, I would be checking the power supply, power and data cables to the drives, to make sure they're well connected, and even reseating the chips on the motherboard -- it sounds to me like that kind of problem.

Good luck!

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2011, 04:15:33 AM »
Quote from: Merc;632968
If it's both drives, consistently, with any disk, I would be checking the power supply, power and data cables to the drives, to make sure they're well connected, and even reseating the chips on the motherboard -- it sounds to me like that kind of problem.

Good luck!

This is it exactly. So I'm destined to open this thing up then eh? Will report back tomorrow with surgery results to see what's loose, what's not, what I know and what I don't. Thanks for the help folks, I'm really intent on getting this to work and hopefully when I do it's going to be such a time.