Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: PFS3 is soon to become free and opensource  (Read 30317 times)

Description:

Offline wawrzon

Re: PFS3 is soon to become free and opensource
« Reply #134 from previous page: November 27, 2010, 03:14:08 PM »
@golem!dk:
i prefer to have all that in my custom kick but it isnt so important or maybe even better to have it in rdb. pfs4 could happen if the sources would have been open. for instance i have formatted an pfs3 partition using normal format command. there were muforce hits and the task froze. nevertheless rhe partition seems to be formatted allright. checked that few times and im using it ever since with no issues. one could cure issues like thiese perhaps.

Offline TheGoose

• Show only replies by TheGoose
    • http://www.amiga.org/forums/blog.php?u=827
« Reply #135 on: November 27, 2010, 03:21:47 PM »
Quote from: Franko;594547
1. Correct
2. They can either be installed in the RDB of the HD or placed in the L directory
 :)

Thanks Franko.

Those facts have always kept me away from SFS and the like. If the new ROMs project will work with traditional AOS 3.x it would be very cool to have this built-in.
G1200, A3000D, A1200 PPC AOS4.0C

I\'m on Google +

Offline Piru

• \' union select name,pwd--
    • Show only replies by Piru
    • http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/
« Reply #136 on: November 27, 2010, 03:25:46 PM »
Quote from: TheGoose;594713
Those facts have always kept me away from SFS and the like. If the new ROMs project will work with traditional AOS 3.x it would be very cool to have this built-in.

Why? Can you detail how having the FS in ROM is any different?

Offline TheGoose

« Reply #137 on: November 27, 2010, 03:42:46 PM »
FS on the hard drive just seems volatile to me. Simply, harddrives are corruptible. When it starts to go bad the whole thing just becomes a black hole. Well, I know I have been through that, power cut offs, harddrive is messed up.

I\'m on Google +

Offline Piru

« Reply #138 on: November 27, 2010, 04:02:04 PM »
Quote from: TheGoose;594723
FS on the hard drive just seems volatile to me. Simply, harddrives are corruptible. When it starts to go bad the whole thing just becomes a black hole. Well, I know I have been through that, power cut offs, harddrive is messed up.

How are the hard drives not corruptible with the FS in the ROM? I find this fear irrational. It makes no difference whether the FS is in the ROM or the drive.

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #139 on: November 27, 2010, 04:05:00 PM »
I think what he means is that if your filesystem is on disk and that part of the disk happens to go bad, it may complicate rescuing whatever else is on the disk.
int p; // A

Offline Piru

« Reply #140 on: November 27, 2010, 04:06:07 PM »
Quote from: Karlos;594732
I think what he means is that if your filesystem is on disk and that part of the disk happens to go bad, it may complicate rescuing whatever else is on the disk.
Well, IMHO it doesn't. You need a separate rescue tool regardless. That's not related to the FS being located in ROM in any way.

Offline Piru

« Reply #141 on: November 27, 2010, 04:07:46 PM »
Well, I know I have been through that, power cut offs, harddrive is messed up.
You're using some bad file systems then (such as FFS). Modern file systems don't get corrupted even if you pull the plug.

Offline Franko

• Show only replies by Franko
« Reply #142 on: November 27, 2010, 04:08:34 PM »

It won't help you having the FS in the rom if the hard drive goes kaput, you'll still have lost your data. The handy thing about having it stored on the RDB or in L is that it's easy to upgrade if a new version is released. :)

I've been using SFS for quite a number of years and haven't lost a single bit of data with it or had it crash or lock up on me... :)

Offline TheGoose

« Reply #143 on: November 27, 2010, 04:33:47 PM »
Quote from: Piru;594731
How are the hard drives not corruptible with the FS in the ROM? I find this fear irrational. It makes no difference whether the FS is in the ROM or the drive.
at

I didn't say that did I? They are always corruptible. It's more a question of what would be worse? A HD with a corruption that affected the FS (stored on the disk). If that happens how do you go about fixing it or just recovering anything off of it, with no FS available?

And maybe you can answer this, how often is a FS stored on disk accessed as the machine does regular CRUD operations? Or is it moved into memory?

I'm trying to tease out Piru, what is/are the disadvantages of a FS on disk. You can't think of any?

I\'m on Google +

Offline Golem!dk

• Show only replies by Golem!dk
    • http://www.google.com/
« Reply #144 on: November 27, 2010, 04:33:49 PM »
Quote from: wawrzon;594706
pfs4 could happen if the sources would have been open.

In theory I suppose that could happen...
for instance i have formatted an pfs3 partition using normal format command. there were muforce hits and the task froze. nevertheless rhe partition seems to be formatted allright. checked that few times and im using it ever since with no issues. one could cure issues like thiese perhaps.

If it is indeed an issue, sure. Were you able to reproduce these hits on further testing?
~

Offline Franko

• Show only replies by Franko
« Reply #145 on: November 27, 2010, 05:00:57 PM »
Quote from: TheGoose;594742
And maybe you can answer this, how often is a FS stored on disk accessed as the machine does regular CRUD operations? Or is it moved into memory?/QUOTE]

Hi TheGoose... :)

If your HD fails so badly then whether the FS is in ROM or on the RDB your still going to need some other method of booting up to try and recover it eg:a floppy disk with appropriate recovery tools.

If it's a minor fail then it really make no difference whether the FS is in ROM or on the RDB. The only advantage I can see with having the FS on the RDB or in L is as I have said before, the ability to easily update it when/if a new version is released.

So the major disadvantage of having the FS in the ROM is the lack of ability to easy update it. Now I think about it all of the FS I use are on the RDB or in the L drawer (even FFS) as the versions I use are the latest one's ever released and aren't available on a Kickstart ROM.

Once the FS system is read at bootup as part of the bootup sequence it's basically stored in ram and so no further disk accessing is needed for the actual FS code while you use your Amiga.

Other than that it's up to you which way you think would suit yourself best... :)

Offline TheGoose

« Reply #146 on: November 27, 2010, 05:06:14 PM »
Ah, all answered above. Guess I'd feel more confident if my HD in my A3000 wasn't 20+ years old too....:lol:

I\'m on Google +

Offline Piru

« Reply #147 on: November 27, 2010, 07:28:35 PM »
Quote from: TheGoose;594742
at

I didn't say that did I? They are always corruptible. It's more a question of what would be worse? A HD with a corruption that affected the FS (stored on the disk). If that happens how do you go about fixing it or just recovering anything off of it, with no FS available?
Since the FS rarely can fix itself it's totally irrelevant whether the FS is on ROM or HDD. You need to use an external tool to fix the FS.

If your RDB gets corrupted, you have the same issue regardless if the FS is in RDB or ROM: You lose the partitioning information.

And maybe you can answer this, how often is a FS stored on disk accessed as the machine does regular CRUD operations?
Never.
Or is it moved into memory?
Yes. The filesystem is regular executable stored to LSEG blocks. It's loaded by the device and added to the filesystem.resource (the dostype is mapped to the specific filesystem seglist). From the OS point of view it makes no difference at all whether the FS is in the ROM or loaded from the RDB.

what is/are the disadvantages of a FS on disk. You can't think of any?
I can't.

Offline GulliverTopic starter

« Reply #148 on: November 27, 2010, 08:37:18 PM »
BTW, I wanted PFS3 in rom thinking on the possibility of booting from a PF3 floppy.

Offline TheGoose

« Reply #149 on: November 27, 2010, 09:27:58 PM »
Quote from: Gulliver;594783
BTW, I wanted PFS3 in rom thinking on the possibility of booting from a PF3 floppy.

Hmm, does a PFS formatted floppy hold anymore than 880K?

I\'m on Google +