Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Ye Olde Demo Scene?  (Read 6496 times)

Description:

Ye Olde Demo Scene?
« on: July 31, 2002, 08:11:36 AM »
How I miss the days of viewing classic Public Domain and being amazed at the scynchronised Vector drummer--and all those demos that were about at that time.
I have often sat down and wondered what are they doin these days?
 Does anyone know people who coded,composed some of those demos that amazed .astounded and thrilled so many of us.
It`s thanks to these guys that we remember the amiga with such affection and it is us who remember those dazzling animations,punchy muzaks and be amazed at those graphics who after the amiga scene really took a tumble sing their praises.
  I would love to reminisce with other members and get hold of some of those demos that have ceased life in my disk collection.
 So what demos do you remember?
Were you stunned at K.G.B`s "Vector Drummer Demo"? Were you amazed at Spaceballs "State of the Art" Did you laugh at the "It`s Obscene" calls
 There are far too many to name but I thank you all for making the amiga so memorable for me and I shall forever remember the Amiga.

Offline Coder

• Show only replies by Coder
    • http://www.amiga.nl
Re: Ye Olde Demo Scene?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2002, 02:44:52 PM »
I think when the A1 with OS4 is released we will see some new demo action.

Coder
Check it out - I found the ass-end!

Offline L8-X

• Show only replies by L8-X
    • Http://www.amigaworld.net
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2002, 04:06:06 PM »
Pulled my A1200 out from the cupboard the other day and loaded up some of the few disks I have left, to have a trip down memory lane!

I have to hope that the A1 does attract demo groups as that was the main reason I bought an Amiga for after seeing an A500 in a shop window running the juggler demo, went in and the guy loaded a couple more demos he had in the shop to let me see....a few weeks later I returned and got my first A500 1.3!

Oh happy days! :-D
\\"It\\\'s no exaggeration to say that the undecideds could go one way or another.\\"

-George Bush, US President

:-D

Offline jACo_

• Show only replies by jACo_
    • http://www.escenarock.com
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2002, 04:29:48 PM »
I was the last weekend at the euskal party # 10 (in Spain). It´s true that there´s no the feeling of the early years of the amazing demos like Control, like the Keefrens years.

I went 2 euskal party since their 6th edition. There were really amazing intros, demos, music & gfx... i rememba the "flame-wars" when amigans and pc ppl were watching the compos in the vidi-wall, how we scream when a peecee demo just explode in the screen, etc....

but that kind of "party" starts 2 go down, and now, all u can c there is a 90% of ppl with 100 writable cd´s, just for DivX and some games, a 9% playing quake tournaments, and a 1% with some demos and that kind of stuff.

i´m a crazy fanatic of demos, intros... i´ve thousands of productions, early ones, modern ones...
but it´s really sad that nowadays the scene went down, at least in Spain (i notice that there´s lot of work out there yet).

The best of all those demos was that if u take a look 2 "spaceballs" (for example), u can watch a complete videoclip, with amazing music, with incredible gfx and syncro... all in 2 dd floppys, and with just 1 mb and 7 mhz...
so...
what´s happening now??
where all that work, hard & intesive went? :-(
-----------------------------
b fREe... uSe aMIGa...

Offline z5

• Show only replies by z5
    • http://ada.untergrund.net
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2002, 06:30:58 PM »
but it´s really sad that nowadays the scene went down, at least in Spain

Agreed! Not so many years ago, the spanish amiga scene seemed to be the next big thing, with groups like Ozone, Network and Capsule making excellent prods. But for some reason, it all dissapeared very fast.

A pity because there was really a lot of talent in those groups!
A.miga D.emoscene A.rchive: Relive the dreams...

Offline z5

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2002, 06:42:04 PM »
@Ka-lore:

A lot of the people from the old scene now work for game companies, i think.  

And there are a lot who have gone to pc. Chaos/Sanity for example still makes top pc demos in the pc demo group Farbraush,  Mr.Pet/Sanity reappeared with a demo not so long ago and the famous group The Silents was ressurected on the pc platform not long ago (The Silents). Apparently, they are working on a musicdisk with new music from Jesper Kyd, Romeo Knight, Marillion,... in cooperation with TRSI.

Offline Effy

• Show only replies by Effy
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2002, 06:10:56 PM »
Demo's. Da main reason for getting my Amiga's !! Dunno freaks in da scene but can help ya if ya want demo's ....
ADA Amiga demoscene here ...
and ofcoz Aminet here ...
and Scene.org here ...

There are more sites like that but those are da ones in my favourites list ...

Effy.

Offline jahc

• Show only replies by jahc
    • http://wookiechat.amigarevolution.com
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2002, 06:23:01 PM »
I've heard people say that coding demos on the PC isnt as good as the Amiga, because its all 3D API's, no low level stuff. Personally I think that 3D API's enables us to focus more on being creative, rather than coming up with an idea and spending a lot of time trying to implement it.

I have heaps of PC demos now.. I'd love to see some new demos on the AmigaOne when its out. Hmm, I might attempt to make one, one day.. when my C/C++ skills get a bit better :)

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2002, 07:37:13 PM »
Budbrain ruled, although BB1 was better than BB 2 (IMO)
Desert Dreams rocked too.
Well, they all were cool.  :-P

Iraq demo  :-D

I really hope that the demoscene on the Amiga will be very, very big.

Offline Effy

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2002, 08:15:49 PM »
Is there a hd-version of Desert Dreams of Kefrens ??
Know only da dms version ...
And yes, BudBrain Mega Demo 1 was indeed better than 2 ...

Effy.

Offline Coder

• Show only replies by Coder
    • http://www.amiga.nl
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2002, 08:23:46 PM »
I hope (and am sure) that we will see some excellent demos for OS4. :-)

Coder
Check it out - I found the ass-end!

Offline Calen

• Show only replies by Calen
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2002, 08:32:04 PM »
Is there a hd-version of Desert Dreams of Kefrens ??

As far as i know there was never a HD version of it made, Not really a bad thing (if using a real AGA machine) as only 2 disks, plus as far as i remember it needed some kickdown when used on AGA machines.

Fantastic demo though, easily in my top 3 favs.

Offline Calen

• Show only replies by Calen
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2002, 08:43:55 PM »
@ Coder

Yeah lets hope we will see some good stuff for OS4  from the demo scene, that is one of the things i look forward to.

Wishfull thinking maybe but id love to see the old masters come back to the Amiga... Kefrens, Fairlight/Virtual Dreams, Scoopex, Spaceballs, Sanity etc etc

Offline Effy

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2002, 09:22:20 PM »
Why does OS4 has got anything to do with demo's ?? What difference does it make when you watch State-Of-The-Art on a A500 with kickstart 1.2 or kickstart 3.1 ?? It also looks da same on a A1200 with OS 3.0 then with OS 3.9. Only pc guys depend on OS's. Amiga freaks code according to da hardware, at least I think so ...

Effy.

Offline z5

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2002, 09:57:34 PM »
@effy:
thx for mentioning my site (A.D.A.). Webmaster (me) is from Belgium too. Van waar ben je?

@others:
I find it a pity that people keep talking about the old days without mentioning the demos from after 1995. Sure, demos like Desert Dream, Budbrain, Enigma, Hardwired, Iraq demo, nexus 7, mental hangover,... were all absolutely fantastic demos.

But maybe you should check out some of the more recent demos too. Planet Potion (Mekka 2002) was easily the most stunning intro EVER released on Amiga and it is even considered one of the most stunning achievements on any platform. If you don't have ppc, then please check gift/Potion which is one of the best 68k intros ever released!

Then there is all ephidrena stuff with demos like Concrete, Substral, J'_ and very cool 4k intros like Bier, Brus (which is a whole musicdisk in 4k which actually sounds good),...

Then there is stuff from Appendix, The Black Lotus, Madwizards, ...

And there are so many more.