Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AmigaDE - Am I missing something?  (Read 2266 times)

Description:

Chathurawind

AmigaDE - Am I missing something?
« on: March 29, 2002, 12:13:58 AM »
There's a - not so positive - article about the AmigaDE on OSNews. View the article at http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=868

Offline System

• Show only replies by System
    • http://amiga.org
Re: AmigaDE - Am I missing something?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2002, 12:34:35 AM »
In the words of joe cartoon, “You jerk!”

Offline Dr_Righteous

• Show only replies by Dr_Righteous
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2002, 02:23:38 AM »
It's quite alright... This fellow got a good reaming in the comments section of the article. he does have one point tho... Amiga.com is not a good source for Amiga information, old or new. Better efforts could be made on that site.
- Doc

A4000D, A3640 OC-36.3MHz, custom tower, Mediator A4000D. Diamond Banshee 16M, Indivision AGA 4000, GVP HC+8.

Mac Mini 1.5GHz, that might run MorphOS someday, when the fools who own it come to the realization that 30 minutes just isn\'t enough time to play with it enough to decide whether or not you like it enough to cough up $200.

- Someone please design SOME kind of DIY accelerator for the A4000. :D -

Offline System

• Show only replies by System
    • http://amiga.org
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2002, 02:47:31 AM »
Amiga's strength was/is the OS.  The thing should've been ported to PPC (or similar) years ago.  This AmigaDE nonesense is a complete waste of effort and will be dead/forgotten two years from now.

Offline JetFireDX

• Show only replies by JetFireDX
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2002, 05:00:27 AM »
I highly doubt that the DE will be dead so soon. I heard about DE before I heard word one about .NET from MS or this new JAVA gaming B.S. If Amiga promotes it right, and shows that theirs is available now and is complete and working, it won't be going anywhere...they do need better advertising, although it is slowly getting better.

More information is the key here...if somebody goes to any of the sites relating to Amiga right now they can't find didly-squat to look at and oh and ah over. Facts are most times vague and give little or no detail. I think there needs to be tables comparing DE's and OS4's features to similar products, so people can see what they will be getting. There needs to be video of things running, demos and screen shots of all the products (SDK, games, A1, etc...) How else do they expect people to support it if all they have is some new letter once a month?

Offline sackbut3

• Show only replies by sackbut3
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2002, 05:30:30 AM »
You're about the lack of info from the standpoint of those, like us, who are so interested, but I understand fully why it is the way it is.  

A company as small as Amiga cannot afford to devulge too much info, to soon about the products they are working on in this cut-throat world of computers.  You and I both know that all Microsloth has to do is say "we invented that" and half the world will believe them.  With such deep pockets it is impossible for Amiga to match their development, manufacturing and advertisement capabilities.  They are forced to move at the pace they can afford to and keep the details to a minimum.  I don't blame them.

Dale

Offline Valan

• Show only replies by Valan
    • http://www.creativepixels.com.hk
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2002, 06:44:57 AM »
While a small company do have to hide their aces it is also true that they must visibly show their products difference/advantage.

This is without doubt a hard balance.

At some point soon Amiga Inc must show how AmigaDE/OS4 it is different and I hope it is everywhere. We need some gorilla marketing ala Sega/Sony cheap and effective.

Offline Coder

• Show only replies by Coder
    • http://www.amiga.nl
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2002, 11:47:31 AM »
I find that there is enough info about OS4 available. Maybe he should stop by Amiga.org and he can be updated with any news he wants.

Coder
Check it out - I found the ass-end!

Chathurawind

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2002, 11:58:35 AM »
What you have to understand is that the opinion of this guy is going to be the opinion of many out there, like those that think Microsoft invented the Internet, the PC et al.

Sad, but true. Its like thinking that Columbus discovered America.

Dave.

Offline olegil

• Show only replies by olegil
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2002, 06:15:36 PM »
Well, Colombus DID discover America. He just 1: wasn't the first (well, the indians had been there a while, eh? And mr Erikson discovered Canada) and 2: Thought he was somewhere completely different (which is why the native americans are named "indians").

Now, if we could all agree that mr Colombus was the first captain in the world to embark on a cruise to the Caribbeans, maybe we could just get on with our Amiga lives :-D

Offline Rodney

• Show only replies by Rodney
    • http://donthaveone.com/
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2002, 04:14:58 PM »
Wasnt it columbous that was looking India, only, instead of going around africa (west) he went east, and then stumbled upon cuba, hence the name "west indies".

He though he was in India at the time, only he descovered a different land. Wasnt this to prove his theory that the world was/is ( :) ) round?
We are not Humans having a spirital experiance
We are Spirits having a Human experiance.

Offline JetFireDX

• Show only replies by JetFireDX
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2002, 07:34:57 PM »
It most certainly wasn't Columbus' theory of the world being round...people had known it was for centuries, but a round world didn' fit into religious views of the earth being the center of the universe at the time...if the world was round, that proved we went around the sun, etc...etc.... and as I understand it isn't Amerigo Vespucci (spelling?) credited with discovery hence the name "America" and not "Columbia" ? (even though we all know it was really Leaf Ericson who discovered it.(again, spelling...))

Chathurawind

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2002, 09:32:20 PM »
Amiga seem to be working some important deals and there are plenty of intent devices being developed. Some are already on the market and we're promised more in many areas. In Japan there is an organisation supporting this software and it's apparently active. Members include Sony, Intel, Samsung, Sega, Bandai, Capcom, Taito, Mathengine, Criterion, Pioneer, Epson, JVC, Sharp, Kyocera, Tao of course. Also, what's all this about porting to the PPC. Amiga runs on PPC. Motorola Semiconductor is a Tao investor.