Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Adfread v1.1 Released  (Read 9398 times)

Description:

Offline CdreCommodore

• Show all replies
    • http://www.memphisamigagroup.net/
Re: Adfread v1.1 Released
« on: December 29, 2006, 07:06:51 AM »
TheMagicM:

As I've posted about before, I have a couple hundred disks I'm trying to dump.  I made a pass over them with adfread (a lot of the features in version 1.1 are a result of me pestering Toni :-) ), then I made another pass over them with the Catweasel MK4.

I wasn't able to dump a significantly larger number of disks with the Catweasel, however, the process was significantly faster than it was with adfread.

So far I've dumped about 63% of them.  Some disks required quite a few retries before I got a successful dump.  A few required some hex editing tricks to get them just right.  The floppies were not stored securely for many years:  they came from someone's garage and smelled of gas and oil.  I'm hopeful that once Jens releases software with some of the promised data recovery features I'll be able to retrieve even more.

For the record, I also verified the OFS floppies (the majority of the disks) by using unadf.  If unadf didn't produce any warnings or errors about the filesystem structure, data blocks, etc., then I took it to mean that the dump was good.  OFS floppies store checksums in each 512 byte sector, whereas FFS does not, so this type of check isn't possible with the few FFS disks.