Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Joust, Gauntlet, Super Sprint now on Amiga!  (Read 11721 times)

Description:

Offline Bif

• Show all replies
Re: Joust, Gauntlet, Super Sprint now on Amiga!
« on: March 27, 2012, 09:37:24 PM »
I was actually thinking to myself a little while ago what I might like to code on an Amiga if I ever set aside the time to do it. Joust is one of my favourite classic games and I didn't see a decent version of the Amiga being available. So I thought it would be a fun project to see how close to the original I could make an Amiga version. It seems like the hardware should be capable.

I have no idea what the Atari ST one is like off the top of my head, but I did watch a video with 14 different versions of Joust, and it was very interesting to see the variation in quality of the versions. The Genesis version appeared very close to the arcade, almost makes me think it was a port of the source. Other versions running on similar hardware looked and played nothing like Joust. Makes me kind of sad to think of how poor most arcade conversions were back then. It's probably a lot easier now with being able to run things in emulators and rip graphics and behaviours frame by frame.

Offline Bif

• Show all replies
Re: Joust, Gauntlet, Super Sprint now on Amiga!
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 01:57:42 AM »
Quote from: orb85750;685746
Nice! I think I spent more time playing Joust in the arcade (1980s of course) than anything else -- although Asteroids, Pole Position, and Tron were part time jobs too.

LOL, yeah, I spent way too much time in arcades in the early 80s too. Won $10 in quarters in the Joust high score contest. Took from the time the arcade opened until it closed to rack up the 9,999,975 points or whatever you could get that you had to stop at before the score would rollover (no pterodactyl cheat used). You had to plan this out carefully to get as high a score as possible without rolling over to make sure you won the contest ... a bit tricky since losing a life gets you 25 points and you don't even know how many you have. There was one other guy that could go forever too so it was quite the battle getting our scores over each other without wrapping. Geez, what a life ...