Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Windows Phone - Dead man walking  (Read 6719 times)

Description:

Offline CritAnime

• Previous Life Time Member
    • Show all replies
Re: Windows Phone - Dead man walking
« on: May 15, 2014, 07:01:11 PM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;764480
All the billions of free dollars in the world can't force people to buy something, and judging by the reception it's gotten thus far, basically nobody cares about Windows Phone at all. Microsoft can throw all the money at it that they like, and that won't change; the question is simply when they'll decide they've flushed enough money down the toilet.

By nobody you actually mean a small percentage of smartphone buyers get Windows Phone compared to other platforms. There are still people buying handsets. In the UK WP has a good percentage of the cheap end smartphone market and have been paired with affordable contracts. Until Microsoft pull then plug officially you can't predict what they will do.

Offline CritAnime

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2014, 11:52:05 PM »
I find it interestng how "journalists", pundits and armchair analysts all love to pick apart every square inch of Microsoft's sale figures. Looking for something they can latch onto and parade around for eternity. It is the exact same for BlackBerry. We have been hearing and reading and watching streams of news that BlackBerry was on its knees and the axe was about to come down and finish it off any second for years now. Yet BlackBerry still continue, releasing a new BB10 phone and planning to release 3-4 new devices in the next year or so. Same with Windows Phone. I remember when Windows Phone 7 came out and the pundits were giving it a year before microsoft killed it off. yet here we are with Windows Phone 8.1, a list of OEM's ready to release phones with it and Microsoft offering incentives for them.

Until that fat woman walks out and starts warbling the obituary for these companies we can't predict how the phone market will play out.

Offline CritAnime

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2014, 10:46:32 AM »
Quote from: spirantho;764554
I can understand what you're saying, but....

If I had £10,000 to spend on shares, there is absolutely zero chance I'd buy any of Blackberry's. Would you?

In terms of financial health, even though Blackberry survives, the fact that it has failed to maintain what was once a good grasp on the market basically means it's dead to shareholders, and they're the guys who dictate whether a company lives or dies, not the customers. It'd take a miracle for Blackberry to come back strong now - it's possible, but the market has matured and Blackberry didn't capitalise on their early strength. Not surprising, given the marketing budgets of Google and Samsung, particularly.

I agree. The past management at BlackBerry screwed the pooch so hard it is shivering in shock at a corner. They f'ed up the marketing of the BlackBerry 10 OS, they rested on their arse and let the competition take market shares from them in the business sectors. However there is a new management team in, they have a plant to work with Foxxcon to get new phones (which they have just released one) out, they are almost ready to release OS 10.3 and their BES 10 software is getting cross platform functionality. Yet these tech blogs don't seem interested in that fact.

Much like with Windows Phone these tech blogs are more interesting in regurgitating fact devoid or poorly researched opinion pieces. Windows Phone 8.1 has just got out of the door and I have seen people, who have never used a Windows Phone, slamming it.

Also if people do want to invest in BlackBerry they can't anyway. They went private months ago ;)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 10:49:59 AM by CritAnime »