Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Lets talk: Alien Breed  (Read 9465 times)

Description:

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show all replies
Re: Lets talk: Alien Breed
« Reply #14 from previous page: November 16, 2010, 12:53:21 AM »
Quote from: Franko;592085
That'll do for me... :)

A few more images in the gallery:

A few unused assets from the TKG source have been included and if you know your FPS games, you should recognise various textures that have been borrowed (with various degrees of modification) from Doom, Doom 2, Quake and even Quake 2 :)
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 01:49:31 AM by Karlos »
int p; // A

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show all replies
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2010, 01:41:41 AM »
Quote from: Franko;592111
@ Karlos

Gonna give it a try tomorrow, need to finish of a few other things first, cos I know once I start playing it again with your new update every other project will get put on hold until I discover all it's secrets... :)

You might want to use TKGTurboPatch with it as it will certainly help speed up the game a bit.

I actually had a mechanism to switch data files in the current installation by using various assign add / remove so that I could have multiple sets of levels / data. My original goal with that was to recreate the original AB3D 1 as one set, have a "revamped" AB3D 2 as a second and a collection of death match levels. Unfortunately, I've no idea what state all of that was in, so all I have included is the AB3D 2 only stuff, but you should certainly notice plenty of little differences from the original AB3D 2 (it's probably even less stable for a start LOL!)...
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 01:46:15 AM by Karlos »
int p; // A

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show all replies
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2010, 01:21:52 PM »
Quote from: JJ;592190
Never owned the second one, sure does look pretty good

If you are referring to the screenshots I posted, those are not the standard game, but a mod I made from it after I completed the original and decided to play with the editor disks :)
int p; // A

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show all replies
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2010, 01:58:58 PM »
Quote from: JJ;592197
I appreciate that, but its the enigne thatas displaying them. Quite impressed with it. Will have to give it a try.

Do you know if it runs at a decent speed on UAE in MorphOS.

It actually runs a bit too fast in UAE on my PC, insofar as the various animations for weapon select / reload, explosions and water rippling are clearly too fast. The speed in UAE for the original game was about perfect on my old Duron 1200. This is with JIT enabled. Does the MorphOS version of UAE support JIT*?

*for MorphOS and OS4, the idea of leveraging the OS provided JIT has always intrigued me but I've no idea how realistic that would be to accomplish.
int p; // A

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show all replies
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2010, 02:25:38 PM »
Quote from: JJ;592204
No MorphOS UAE does not have JIT.  There was an attempt made at a PPC JIT engine, but from what I read was a bit of a mess and nobody really interested that much in having one.

Well, you might need it for this since the RTG patch for TKG seems to crash with my mod almost immediately. However, to be fair, I found it crashed with the original game almost as quickly.

It would be really cool if the OS provided a lower level interface to it's own JIT that allows you to execute 68K code and then invokes native callbacks for various "illegal" operations, like hitting non-existent classic hardware, especially if it allows it to be "patched out" into a direct call in the emitted PPC code after the first time so that the overhead is minimised.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 02:30:39 PM by Karlos »
int p; // A

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show all replies
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2010, 02:53:03 PM »
Quote from: bloodline;592208
I imagine the timing would be a nightmare! Probably impossible without access to the native JIT source code :(

Hence why I say this
It would be really cool if the OS provided a lower level interface to it's own JIT that allows you to execute 68K code and then invokes native callbacks for various "illegal" operations, like hitting non-existent classic hardware, especially if it allows it to be "patched out" into a direct call in the emitted PPC code after the first time so that the overhead is minimised.
int p; // A

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show all replies
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2010, 12:56:32 PM »
Quote from: Franko;592113
Just downloaded cheers... :)

So, did you try it?
int p; // A

Offline Karlos