Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Daemon management on Amiga OS  (Read 11753 times)

Description:

Offline Tygre

Re: Daemon management on Amiga OS
« Reply #29 from previous page: February 25, 2021, 04:32:33 PM »
Hi NinjaCyborg!

Level 1 - tasks you don't need awareness of at all. iprefs, filesystems, intuition etc.
Level 2 - tasks that are services you mostly don't need much visibility of but occasionally do - rexxmast, usb stacks, timidity, tcp ip stack, and tcp services you run e.g. ftpd
Level 3 - things that make good commodities, where the UI is frequently available but hidden when not needed
Level 4 - things you use actively where the UI is always available and which are under your direct control

Good taxonomy! :)

A service manager would be useful for level 2. a CXRun type tool to make more things commodities that aren't would be good for level 3. Application library is good for level 4, if they ever finish fulfilling it's potential.

Yes, absolutely! A user could also use it for Level 2 but that might clutter needlessly her Exchange ;)

The commodities path is worth exploring, after all it is the existing tool for managing background processes that want to be managed. It's just not used in that way enough by developers. I think the makecx approach of messing around with IDCMP close window is a mistake, as it relies on non unique window names and so on. Better to just send a control C, this usually works e.g. with calculator, and if you spawned the process you will know it's ID. In fact the best approach might be a service that stay resident keeping track of all the things it launches and sends messages to, and a separate shell command to control it. I see an architecture forming now.

My thoughts too: I haven't yet explore the source code of WBRun but, if possible, I would rather have as little parameters as possible for CXRun: it should itself "remember" the ID of the task/process that it runs, it should not need a window name, etc.

Let's find some time to code now ;D

The following users thanked this post: NinjaCyborg

Offline nbache

« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2021, 08:14:07 PM »
@Tygre:

Ranger is sold via AmiStore these days, IIRC.

Best regards,

Niels

Offline Tygre

« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2021, 09:01:47 PM »
Thanks for the info. @nbache and @NinjaCyborg!

I bought a copy of AmigaOS4 (some years ago) but don't have it running currently...

For AmigaOS3, there SysInspector but my favourites are Commander (with Executive) and Scout.

Cheers!

Offline kolla

« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2021, 09:50:49 AM »
I haven't yet explore the source code of WBRun

There are several to chose between, but most common is the one that shipped with OS3.9 - any particular reason you may have the source code for that one?

It was left out of OS 3.1.4 because according to ThoR nobody needs it, and according to Gulliver (and various OS 3.1.4 FAQs that I suppose mostly he wrote), WBRun was replaced by a 3.1.4 spin (same, but different) of ThoR's own WBLoad (not to be confused with LoadWB) from his CLICon project, which doesn't even rely on Workbench to be running to work. Sad story is that WBLoad, unlike WBRun, isn't capable of talking directly with Workbench when it is running, so unlike WBRun, it cannot be used to for example open volumes, drawers etc. So after some... heh... heated debate between everybody's super hero (ThoR) and me, it was concluded that WBRun better be a script that checks if Workbench is up and running, and if so, tells Workbench to do its thing via arexx, and if Workbench is not available, simply use WBLoad. (Don't you remember? You typically pressed "like" on just about anything he posted)

Currently, this rudimentary script looks like this...

Code: [Select]
; $VER: WBRun 45.9 (24.10.2019) Kolbjørn Barmen <amiga[member=751]kolla[/member].no>
.key PROG/A,ARGS/M,DELAY/N/K,SHOW/K,VIEWBY/K
.bra [
.ket ]

If NOT "[DELAY]" EQ ""
  Wait [DELAY]
EndIf

Status com=Workbench >NIL:
If WARN
  WBLoad [PROG] [ARGS]
Else
  RX "ADDRESS Workbench WINDOW '[PROG]' OPEN"
  If NOT "[SHOW]" EQ ""