Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Here's the first specs for the new Amiga from Amiga Inc.  (Read 8053 times)

Description:

Offline Homer

• Show only replies by Homer
    • http://www.graingerweb.net
Re: Here's the first specs for the new Amiga from Amiga Inc.
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2007, 07:45:41 PM »
Wouldn't that be down to Amiga-India ?
Let X = X
{(c) Laurie Anderson}

Offline koaftder

• Show only replies by koaftder
    • http://koft.net
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2007, 07:46:41 PM »
Freaking LOL!

It's hard to get worked up with specs like that. What a dog! I hope Amiga INC goes out of business with the quickness.

Offline ravnen

• Show only replies by ravnen
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2007, 07:48:09 PM »
@krize
The company I work for has been in a somewhat similar legal dispute. Another company developed software under our name and directions, under license, afterwards claiming that they did not get payed enought. They markedet this software as their own, and we sued them and ofcourse won. When we two years after finaly got the sourcecode, it was so crappy that we trashed it and started from stratch.

I do not have all the facts in this case, so I dont want to take sides. Amiga is just a hobby, and it would be wonderful with a new toy.

Offline krize

• Show only replies by krize
    • Horrordelic Records
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2007, 07:49:06 PM »
"Before there weren't any hardware for AmigaOS 4 and you whined, now there most probably will be hardware for AmigaOS 4, but you still whine. Most of the same whiners said that AmigaOS 4 isn't going to be developed any further anyhow, so why would you care in which hands is it, when you can finally have it? Or just finding new excuses?"

What are you talking about ? I dont whine about anything, stop talking bull!

The problem is how they treat Hyperion, Hyperion are the programmers who took a big chance on this project.

And now Amiga Inc. just does what they can to get OS4 themselves, and stab Hyperion in the back.

I ask again: " Who will develop OS4 if Amiga Inc. wins the battle ?" Hyperion who have done years on it is out then..
MacMiniG4 MOS 3.18 rulez ... For music check: Horrordelic Records - Dark Psychedelic Music Since 2011 -

Offline HotRod

• Show only replies by HotRod
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2007, 07:50:21 PM »
krize: Have you read something that I haven't? Because if you didn't, stop spreading rumours...

AI is presenting new hw wich should be all joy. The Frieden brothers has choosen not to speak at the forums... make what you want from it...

Offline krize

• Horrordelic Records
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2007, 07:51:51 PM »
Ravnen: Sure... But what Amiga Inc. is doing now is so low (even for them). Hyperion have actually worked on this for years, Amiga Inc. havent done anything for years (except this last months circus).

Also you have to remember all the guys who supported Amiga Inc. in the beginning. Paying coupons for cheaper OS4 and so on. All scams! Also behinds the scenes, it have not been pretty.
MacMiniG4 MOS 3.18 rulez ... For music check: Horrordelic Records - Dark Psychedelic Music Since 2011 -

Offline krize

• Horrordelic Records
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2007, 07:52:59 PM »
HotRod: I dont know what you have read or not, have you read the court documents ? CHeck other threads here and amigaworld.com/moobunny.

Offline xc8Bronx

• Show only replies by xc8Bronx
    • http://www.bronxwhq.org
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2007, 07:57:46 PM »
nice specs...

It looks like ... ....
-= THIS =-

chris

Offline Argus

• Show only replies by Argus
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2007, 08:00:14 PM »

HotRod wrote:
krize: Have you read something that I haven't? Because if you didn't, stop spreading rumours...

AI is presenting new hw wich should be all joy. The Frieden brothers has choosen not to speak at the forums... make what you want from it...

Would you speak publicly if you were being sued by these *****loecher?  This is such a shame, what a ripoff by these charlatans. No OS support and a premium price for a crappy old spec, only the mad would buy it.  Ask yourself would you buy a new PC if Microsoft had been enjoined from updates?  Maybe if you used Linux because it's open sourced but this is a closed system potentially being taken over by persons with zero demonstrated programming history who's own idea (AmigaDE) was a collossal flop...just read Bolton Peck's posting.  Heck, the only thing they've proved competent in is mucking up everything they've ever layed their hands on.  So now we fanatics and cult-idiots Amiga considered the classic crowd are supposed to buy this bull****?  
posted on A2500+ C=2620 14MHz/8MbFast/1MbChip
dialed in @34K
Just livin\\\' the dream...

Offline ikir

• Show only replies by ikir
    • http://www.ikirsector.it
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2007, 08:02:07 PM »
1GB is enough, on Mac you can do anything even semi-pro video editing. On Amiga 1GB is a lot don't worry.

Offline meega

• Show only replies by meega
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2007, 08:03:41 PM »

drHirudo wrote:

meega wrote:
Only 1GB RAM? Not enough these days.

Cool, the "Slam and trash it" team is already here!

My AmigaOne works great with 256 MB, sometimes when compiling stuff with best opimisation I run out of memory, but that's very rare. On the other hand my A4000 works great with 18 MB RAM, and it's enough these days for classic Amiging.

Shall we work down the rest of the spec to see why a lot of (possibly most) people would regard this as an under-equipped machine for the modern era?

Yes, the "classic" Amiga worked very well with its resources, but every single one really needed expansion to do "serious" work. Only 1 (ONE) slot for only 1 (ONE) gigabyte is not enough to compete in the 21st century.

In my opinion.
:)

Offline ravnen

• Show only replies by ravnen
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2007, 08:06:55 PM »
eeeh, compete?

Is someone actually thinking of Amiga as a real alternative to modern machines? Common... Os4.0 does not even have a usable browser (yet).
The only thing it wil compete against is "classic" amigas.

Offline dirigent

• Show only replies by dirigent
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2007, 08:07:33 PM »
@krize

Hyperion have actually worked on this for years, Amiga Inc. havent done anything for years

AI's view on this is apparently that TMLECH (The Mysterious Legal Entity Called Hyperion) basically coordinated a number of subcontractors without paying them much, and did so with their own little agenda.

I am not saying this in order to personally accuse Hyperion of anything, much less anyone of those heros who toiled to make OS4 a reality. Just to say that one should not jump to conclusions. :-o

Offline Argus

• Show only replies by Argus
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2007, 08:15:08 PM »
@dirigent

I almost fell out of my chair laughing at *Mr.* Moss' calling Hyperion a 'shell company'.  What do you call two unemployed chuckleheads in the Pacific Northwest with nothing better to do than cling to the pipedream of some old Tao-based content shell running on top of WindowsCE?

SO THE WORLD MAY KNOW(tm)

:-D
posted on A2500+ C=2620 14MHz/8MbFast/1MbChip
dialed in @34K
Just livin\\\' the dream...

Offline jiffydos

• Show only replies by jiffydos
    • http://www.mecnet.net
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2007, 08:17:14 PM »
At risk of appearing to be a whiner, I certainly feel that this equipment is far under my expectations for what even the newest low-end amiga would be.

A MPC8349E at 400Mhz is not what I had in mind when they said a new system was coming out... and certainly not one that had provisioning for only 1 memory slot.

I was hoping to see something more like the MPC8641D at 1.5Ghz and up to 2GB of RAM (or, at least 2 slots).

I guess I was dreaming.

meega wrote:

drHirudo wrote:

meega wrote:
Only 1GB RAM? Not enough these days.

Cool, the "Slam and trash it" team is already here!

My AmigaOne works great with 256 MB, sometimes when compiling stuff with best opimisation I run out of memory, but that's very rare. On the other hand my A4000 works great with 18 MB RAM, and it's enough these days for classic Amiging.

Shall we work down the rest of the spec to see why a lot of (possibly most) people would regard this as an under-equipped machine for the modern era?

Yes, the "classic" Amiga worked very well with its resources, but every single one really needed expansion to do "serious" work. Only 1 (ONE) slot for only 1 (ONE) gigabyte is not enough to compete in the 21st century.

In my opinion.

Offline jiffydos

• Show only replies by jiffydos
    • http://www.mecnet.net
« Reply #29 from previous page: April 30, 2007, 08:20:07 PM »
Although I guess they had to stick with the e300 core to avoid major work.